tweaks discussion

WinRAR 3.30

When you register, you'll receive a license file (named "rarreg.key"). Copy it to your uA CD, and set up your XPlode in such a way that the license file gets copied to the right place *JUST AFTER* winrar is installed.

Just open the WinRar setup file: its a sfx. You can modified everything you want.

What I do is install Winrar, configure everything I want. Then go to Options\Import-Export\Expot config to a file and export you config to "Settings.reg" in the same folder as winrar.

Open the winrar installer with winrar. Copy the sfx options. Close it.

Now create a SFX with the %programfiles%\winrar folder and put the comments you copied earlier. This will make the same "installer" as if you downloaded it, but you will get you config and your reg info, like a "corporate" one :)

Prevent WinAmp 5 from popping-up the first-run dialog-box

Nice one :rolleyes:

disable file association web-service

Nice one! :D

Set the default sticky app on XP Start_Menu for "Internet" to Opera

Hum... Mine is set to thunderbird, I'm looking for the reg file for it...

got it :D

; Thunderbird comme courriel par défaut
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"
"DLLPath"="D:\\THUNDERBIRD\\mozMapi32.dll"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\THUNDERBIRD\\THUNDERBIRD.EXE,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto]
@="URL:MailTo Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\THUNDERBIRD\\THUNDERBIRD.EXE,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="D:\\THUNDERBIRD\\THUNDERBIRD.EXE -compose %1"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\open]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\open\command]
@="D:\\THUNDERBIRD\\THUNDERBIRD.EXE -mail"

for tip 17 and 15, does it work as a cmd file in cmdlines.txt or where can I put that into a batch file so it will run? GUIRunOnce?

Pre-configure/automate your swap file

If you still use .cmd files (batch files) to run your unattended install, you are in luck - you can do something that the others can't.

On WinXP Pro, run this command from a batch file:

start /wait cscript //nologo //B //T:600 %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /change /I 256 /M 256 /VO *

To set the min. and max. of the page-file to 256 MB.

Check out what else you can do - open a cmd window, and run "cscript %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /?" (without the quotes, of course).

For the others among us, who are stuck with XP home, or win2k pro, don't lose hope - here's what you have to do.

a. From a WinXP Pro SP2 CD, copy the files "pagefile.vb_" and "cmdlib.ws_" and extract the files using winzip/winrar (they are cabinet files, so rename the files on the CD to ---.cab to extract).

b. Put "cmdlib.wsc" to your system32 folder, and register it with:

RegSvr32 /s %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cmdlib.wsc

c. Rename the VBScript file you extracted to "pagefileconfig.vbs" and put that also into your system32 folder. And then, you too can use the above command to set you page-file.

If you don't have access to the 2 files mentioned here, it is attached in zipped format here. Just extract it, and put to your uA CD in the location "$OEM$\$$\System32".

Even though other scripts run happily, this script decidedly needs to be run either manually from the command prompt, or through your batch file. Running it from XPlode/RunOnceEx or calling a batch file from them does not work.

YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ONLY IN YOUR MAIN BATCH FILE - the other option is to copy and paste the command manually into a command prompt (and why would anyone do that, when they can configure the same graphically ?).

The Windows XP ZIP is cr*p - its the first thing I switch off when I install a new PC.

To switch it off open the Run box and type REGSVR32 /U ZIPFLDR.DLL

----OR---- automate the same through XPlode.

Pre-configure/automate your swap file

Uhh could'nt you just add a reg tweak to do this instead of all that?

This is your C:\pagefile.sys 256 256

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"PagingFiles"=hex(7):43,3a,5c,70,61,67,65,66,69,6c,65,2e,73,79,73,20,32,35,36,20,32,35,36,00,00,

• 3 weeks later...

for swap file, there is another way : inf files

create a "paging.inf" file with :

[version]signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=PageFile.DelReg

AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.DelReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles"

[PageFile.AddReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"d:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

this is for a fixed swap file of 700 mb on D: , you can change it as you want.

NB : If you want the os to decide of the size type "(drive letter):\pagefile.sys 0 0"

then follow gosh's guide to load it...

Hey guys,

thanx for the suggestions, but neither maxXPsoft's idea nor |00|'s idea is very portable, because it depends on specifying the drive letter,etc.

You aren't able to just simply have a swap file of XYZ MB on the systemdrive (whether it happens to be C:,D:,E:, etc.). The VBS method above is more efficient in that sense.

• 1 month later...

does it works like this to mutipule

[version]signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=PageFile.DelReg

AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.DelReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles"

[PageFile.AddReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"c:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"d:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"e:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

were do i put this .inf file

cant find gosh's guide someone link it for me

thanks

Set the default sticky app on XP Start_Menu for "Internet" to Opera (previously it was IE).

;Set the Start Menu sticky apps
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet]
@="Opera.exe"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Opera.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7\\Opera.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Opera.exe]
@="Opera"
"LocalizedString"="Opera"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Opera.exe\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7\\opera.exe,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Opera.exe\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7\\opera.exe"

I wasn't able to find how to pre-determine the e-mail sticky, or how to automatically remove it.

have anyone set the web browser drive independant i mean you need to specify the path to the .exe file but what if i use a different drive in other installation?? i think this can be done using the %PROGRAMFILES% quote but this can not be done in normal registry values (only in hex values and i haven't been success in this). also i use this tweak to set hotmail as my default mail client (i hate outlook)

;default mail client hotmail

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]@="Hotmail"

other thing i forgot, in the same reg file i want to associate firefox to htm and html any way??

• 2 weeks later...
have anyone set the web browser drive independant i mean you need to specify the path to the .exe file but what if i use a different drive in other installation??

@ simonsays

Yes, I have set it like what you want. Actually its pretty easy. Execute a .cmd (batch script) file with these commands wherever you want to use system variables.

For example, to convert

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Opera.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7\\Opera.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7"

to system variable strings, execute these commands from a batch file:

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Opera.exe" /VE /D "%ProgramFiles%\Opera7\Opera.exe" /f

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Opera.exe" /V Path /D "%ProgramFiles%\Opera7" /f

Its just the complex nature of this method, and that it is easy to go wrong which is preventing more ppl from using it. If you want more detailed discussion on this, do start a new thread, and PM me on the link to it (so that i'd have a look at it). Let's not clutter this thread with complicated registry items.

• 1 month later...

Opera 7 and above:

I also pre-configure Opera during unattended setup by auto-executing Opera-conf.exe (in the zip file - attachment).

If I make my own Opera-config.exe all I have to do is copy files and make a silent SFX, right? Which toolbar.ini is my current toolbar? You made your Advanced SFX Options\Modes\Overwrite Mode = Skip existing files, won't that ruin everything? Should it be set to Overwrite all?