tweaks discussion

If I make my own Opera-config.exe all I have to do is copy files and make a silent SFX, right?

You made your Advanced SFX Options\Modes\Overwrite Mode = Skip existing files, won't that ruin everything? Should it be set to Overwrite all?

Yes. Overwrite so that no previous files with the same name stays - we want to be sure that what is in the SFX is what goes into the install, with no variance. That way, you bring in the factor of constancy/reproducibility - and be able to fix errors. Anyway, that EXE isn't going to be used outside of a uA install, once you are done with testing it, right?
Which toolbar.ini is my current toolbar?
Open opera, fiddle with the toolbars for a bit, and close it. See which one was modified most recently (file properties). :)

Hoping this helps.....

;disable file association web-service - Bypassing "Browse web for program" to open unknown extension. "Open With..." becomes default

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001

This is a great tweak. My question is, how did you find out about this tweak? I've never seen it on all the tweaking sites I visit or forum posts.

:) Well, that tweak has nothing to do with me at all. Whatever you find on the site here is a collective effort of the entire community. :D

Shows how powerful can groups of determined people be, towards achieving their goal together. :rolleyes:

Hehe..... If you thought the few reg-tweaks on here were good, just visit this thread, and you'll get amazed at the truck-load of tweaks which are just begging to be used from everywhere:

Registry Tweaks...

Hoping this helps.....

My standard_toolbar (1).ini seems to be my current one. But it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\toolbar (not Opera7\). What is Opera's default install dir with silent install?

• 4 months later...

Hey prathampml...

Quick ? in regards to the pagefile vbs... Lets say I run this from my runonce and I want my pagefile to be on another hdd instead of on my systemdrive.

Do I need to run the delete command 1st, than the create command? Or can I simply use the change command?

Thanks.

for swap file, there is another way : inf files

create a "paging.inf" file with :

[version]

signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=PageFile.DelReg

AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.DelReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles"

[PageFile.AddReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"d:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

this is for a fixed swap file of 700 mb on D: , you can change it as you want.

NB : If you want the os to decide of the size type "(drive letter):\pagefile.sys 0 0"

then follow gosh's guide to load it...

Using this code, if you were to omit the DelReg Section, you would end up with a pagefile on C: and one on D: !

This is because you have used a REG_ADDREG_APPEND data type which does not remove the current setting, it appends the new setting to it. Therefore if XP defaults to C:\pagefile.sys at 1.5x RAM, then you would have that plus an additional 700 meg pagefile at D:\pagefile.sys

does it works like this to mutipule
[version]

signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=PageFile.DelReg

AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.DelReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles"

[PageFile.AddReg]

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"c:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"d:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x00010008,"e:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

@ sixpack

for the reasons stated above, you would with that code theoretically end up with a multiple swap file system, with one of fixed 700 meg residing on each of drives C: D: & E:

You could probably therefore code something like this using the MULTI_REG_SZ data type, to tidy it up:

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.AddReg]
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management",PagingFiles,0x10000,"c:\pagefile.sys 700 700",""d:\pagefile.sys 700 700","e:\pagefile.sys 700 700"

for swap file, there is another way : inf files

create a "paging.inf" file with :

[version]

signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]

DelReg=PageFile.DelReg

AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.DelReg]

[PageFile.AddReg]

this is for a fixed swap file of 700 mb on D: , you can change it as you want.

NB : If you want the os to decide of the size type "(drive letter):\pagefile.sys 0 0"

then follow gosh's guide to load it...

Using this code, if you were to omit the DelReg Section, you would end up with a pagefile on C: and one on D: !

This is because you have used a REG_ADDREG_APPEND data type which does not remove the current setting, it appends the new setting to it. Therefore if XP defaults to C:\pagefile.sys at 1.5x RAM, then you would have that plus an additional 700 meg pagefile at D:\pagefile.sys

Thx Yzowl.. Ill give that a shot.

Yes, the default is to append. So you can delete the pagefile on G:\ and then create one on D:\

But be aware though, that having less than 2 MB of pagefile on C: can get dangerous, so the VBS warns you about it. So what I'd do in such a case is set the swap on C: to be just 2 MB, and then create the one on D:\ to be the desired size.

• 2 weeks later...

In some cases, you see programs which use non-standard or un-automatable installers.

In such cases, just install it first, and clean out the junk (like uninstaller) from the installed folder. Then configure the app's settings to how you want.

Then, just make a winrar SFX archive of that folder (which silently extracts to %programfiles%) and enjoy.

For example, I do the above, by enabling the "SFX" check-box, and pasting the below into the "Comments" tab in winrar

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=.\%programfiles%
SavePath
Silent=1
Overwrite=2

Hi, Tnx for all of your tips...

I try to make a silent sfx archive, i have the same comment as show above :

;Le commentaire ci-dessous contient des commandes pour script SFX

Path=.\%systemdrive%\WINAPPS\kav5
SavePath
Silent=1

But, when i start my sfx witch a batch file :

@ECHO OFF
ECHO.
ECHO Decompression de Kaspersky Antivirus Personal 5.0
ECHO Veuillez patienter...
START /wait "%systemdrive%\WINAPPS\kav5\kav5.exe"

Kav5.exe is my sfx archive

My problem is here. When the batch start, immediatly a second batch windows appears with the prompt like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINAPPS>

The same problem appears even if i try the dos sfx module.

Somebody will able to help me ?

How is possible to successful my silent sfx with a batch file ?

Tnx for your awnsers

(As you see, i'm french, and my english is not really perfect lol :D , tnx for your patience to read me)