Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

Perhaps the motherboard and GPU names? So i could see if i can buy them on ebay to experiment on it? :hello:

None the less, he already answered: It took five months for him (he is still a bit upset :-), driver and GPU was given to him by NVidia directly.

No data available anymore, as was to be expected, its a long time ago.

Ok, i can see my open chassis from here, let's just do it... :yes:

Fair enough.

Since you did talk to him, ask him whether or not the driver he was given was the 82.69 driver or a different version. If any version later than 82.69 exists for 9x, it needs to be collected and preserved.

• 3 weeks later...

ragnargd, on 11 Sept 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:
"On Toms Hardware in the german forums, in a thread from 2009, FormatC

claims he has produced working INFs for P35/ICH9 by instructions on msfn.org."

FYI, here are the (translated from german) relevant comments from that

above mentioned thread;

http://www.tomshardware.de/foren/240926-26-suche-windows-treiber-chipsatz

"Asus P5K (P35 [so PCI-E ver 1.1] + ICH9 Southbridge) with Pentium Dual

Core E6300 [2.8GHz]@ 3GHz
1GB RAM (even recognized!)
Geforce 6800GT 512MB PCIe" [not stated if installed in 'blue x16 mode' PCI-E

slot or 'black x4/x1 mode' slot - I note this because the relevance is that while

the blue slot is surely off the P35, the black slot may be off the ICH9 southbridge..]
[Format C mentions] "ForceWare 81.98 is really stable and performat enough

for 98"
"LAN, sound and SATA [are all] disabled"

"everything hung on the IDE."[JMicron JMB363] "That SATA also in IDE mode

does not work, I know"
installed cards;
"external Realtek network card
C-Media Audio (AC97)
"

"First, I have the complete '98 installation files copied to the disk and then

install Windows. The missing chipset drivers, I even "tinkered" (also thanks

to @7oby for the link!)" [Note: this link;]

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=97588&st=80&p=748075entry748075

"That which was linked there, although not directly helped me (because,

unfortunately, only for G31 / ICH7), but the idea was right and with a little

logical thinking skills, almost all relevant areas were umfrickeln analogy.

Only the USB host spackt a little, but this is rather marginal. Fact: Windows

98 even starts with the dual-core on the new board!" "The OS sees only the

single-core" [i.e. 'sees only a single-core' of the dual-core cpu.]

"The next problem was the added sent from nVidia graphics card that was

not detected in this version of the driver. So again INF-Gefrickel and

manually install the driver instead of the Setup program. Successfully,

because the map runs. Even with fan control. Windows 98 to 1920 x 1200

is not very funny, but it works;)" [Note; so probably modified the graphic driver

INF so that the card is in the inf file of the driver.]

"DirectX 9c is now running well, now I just have to find an old version of

Fraps [game capture fps video recorder], which is stable under the 98"

"I want anyway test with 1 and 2 cores. But what amazes me is that after

my Frickelei suddenly 1021 MB RAM (comical value) are available. The

complete start (measured between F8 forced Start menu) and desktop

less than 3 seconds! However, the desktop does not have a pause of

about 5 seconds."

"NFS Underground 2 is on it and runs ever. With widescreen patch. My

goodness, that was long ago. The old 6800GT even creates 4 x AA at full

resolution. Amazing."
[Note:game reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Underground_2 ]

Hello people,

Thank you  for your kind replies :)

I'm happy to announce that Windows 98 is working on AsRock 4Core1600-GLan (Intel P31 / ICH7) properly with an Intel Xeon X5460 LGA 771 and 2GB of RAM (I have RLoew Patch) Nvidia 6600GT 128MB PCI-E with 82.69 moddified drivers... I had some issues but I discovered that are caused by USB drivers so I still haven't tested the USB 2.0 3.3 Maximus Decimus Drivers posted here for now I've just bypassed usb installation but I will get through it with more time since this windows will be a triple boot OS. I'll try to boot with 4GB of RAM and try to deal with the USB issue thing and let you know how it goes. 

For now thank you for all your kind help and replies... It's been a long time since people don't mess generally with windows 98 and we tend to kind of forget some things and / or having some difficulties in performing some tasks becuase I repair PC's from about 10 years but I'm more used to WinXP and posterior Windows although I began repairing also PC's with Win9x.

I'll let you know the news but you can be assured that ASRock 4Core1600 GLan motherboard definitely works with windows 98. I would like you to ask you if you could put this motherboard on the sticky list of the first page of this topic.

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

Hello people,

Well I tried to boot Windows 98SE with 4GB but with no luck... I forgot to add that I have R.Loew RAM Patch 5.0. I have 2 Modules of DDR2 1066MHz which is 2 x 2GB = 4GB RAM.

When I only put one module of 2GB on my ASRock 4Core1600-GLan it boots fine and detects 2GB, when I put the two modules the BIOS says 4096MB but the memtest in POST says 3392MB OK and Windows 98 can't boot it locks before getting to desktop. On safe mode it works correctly. What can it be? Do I need an updated version of R.Loew's Patch or do I have any issue with my motherboard?

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

P.S: Ok I was able to solve the 3392MB problem... Now the motherboard is showing and using 4096MB RAM I enabled Memory Remap Feature but the problem still remains...I still can't boot to desktop on normal mode... What can I do? Thank you in advance for all your kind help ;) You are awsome. :D

Edited by rfsapiens

Version 5.0 of my Patch is fairly old. I sent update notices to all my customers.

With more RAM and newer Hardware and Software, the /M Option is becoming more and more important.

The /M Option was added in Version 6.0. E-Mail me for an update.

• 2 weeks later...

ragnargd, on 11 Sept 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

"On Toms Hardware in the german forums, in a thread from 2009, FormatC

claims he has produced working INFs for P35/ICH9 by instructions on msfn.org."

FYI, here are the (translated from german) relevant comments from that

above mentioned thread;

http://www.tomshardware.de/foren/240926-26-suche-windows-treiber-chipsatz

"Asus P5K (P35 [so PCI-E ver 1.1] + ICH9 Southbridge) with Pentium Dual

Core E6300 [2.8GHz]@ 3GHz

1GB RAM (even recognized!)

Geforce 6800GT 512MB PCIe"

"NFS Underground 2 is on it and runs ever. With widescreen patch. My

goodness, that was long ago. The old 6800GT even creates 4 x AA at full

resolution. Amazing."

[Note:game reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Underground_2 ]

I found an article on TH, with almost the same content, but there, the author (presumably FormatC) states his GF 6800 GT has 256MB of memory.

An article by him with an 6800 GT 512MB cannot be found.

So this dialog on TH maybe was before he wrote the article, and perhaps he changed some factors when finishing the article.

If anyone has other info, just tell...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

Is there any ITX board which can I use with Windows 98 SE ? The main problem is the PCI-E extension.

Thanks in advance.

PCI Express works with 98SE in most cases. You will need to use a video card that has 98 compatible drivers though, such as an NVidia 6xxx/7xxx Series or ATI X7xx/X8xx Series card.

I haven't looked into ITX boards so I really have no knowledge of them specifically, but I have recently experimented with various post-98 ATX boards.

I would recommend that you find one that uses an Intel ICH7/8/9 Chipset BUT is NOT Intel branded! (third party manufacturer such as Gigabyte, MSI, DFI, etc) Be sure that it uses an AWARD BIOS NOT an AMI BIOS as well.

Once these conditions are met then you will want to hopefully find a board that uses onboard devices that are friendly to 9x as well, such as the Network card chips and so forth. No HD Audio drivers are available for 98, so you will need a PCI slot to add a 98 compatible sound card. Keep in mind that if the onboard devices have no 98 drivers then you will need more PCI slots to add compatible cards.

I don't care about LAN - this is offline win98se gaming machine :) I care about chipset, ide, and SATA disk.

Just have to read what optimised video graphics card should I buy - 6600GT or 6800GT ? or X800XT from ATI ?  

And one question about sound card. 15 years ago I had severals Sound Blaster cards. Is there a sense to have audigy with hardware EAX in win98se ? Did games have a EAX implementation in those times (under 98se) ?

Edited by Yedi

Thanks for response.

I have another idea :)

Will this mobo work on win98SE ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138091

And I'll like to use SB Extigy (USB) with Win98SE 

Appears to use AWARD BIOS. That's good for starters.

My Slipstreamable INFs will handle the chipset.

I recommend rloew's RAM patch to allow you to improve performance by maxing out the RAM on this board.

I advise purchasing and using rloew's SATA patch to have fully functional SATA drive support.

As MrMateczko pointed out there may be hope for the Network card.

No drivers for the onboard video. Does have PCI-E slot for a 98-compatible card.

No drivers for the onboard HD Audio. NO PCI SLOT to add a 98-compatible card. I have no experience with USB Audio devices.

I don't care about LAN - this is offline win98se gaming machine :) I care about chipset, ide, and SATA disk.

Just have to read what optimised video graphics card should I buy - 6600GT or 6800GT ? or X800XT from ATI ?  

And one question about sound card. 15 years ago I had severals Sound Blaster cards. Is there a sense to have audigy with hardware EAX in win98se ? Did games have a EAX implementation in those times (under 98se) ?

Intel ICH7/8/9 Chipsets can be handled with my Slipstreamable INF's.

The last video cards known to work with Windows 98SE are the NVidia 7950GT and 7950GX2. If the 7950GT is a 512MB version it may require rloew's NVSIZE patches to work properly. The 7950GX2 is a 1GB card and would definitely require the patch but it is currently unknown if the card can be used to its full potential under 98 (as it is essentially a "dual GPU" card).

I used to have a couple of SB Live! X-Gamer cards in my older systems. I believe they did implement EAX.

Edited by LoneCrusader

USB Audio generally works well with Windows 98SE. Even many of the new Devices are compatable.

Okay, so call me stupid but I've had very little to no experience in USB audio devices. Is that something that just plugs into the USB port, runs a driver, and then just works? That would be very useful in something like for example, a laptop that has nothing but high definition audio codecs.