Xp Security Rollup Available!

check aarons pinned topic devil.. its updated

810565 Hyperlinks Open in Internet Explorer Instead of in Default Browser or Help and Support Center 
821557 MS03-027: An Unchecked Buffer in the Windows Shell Could Permit Your System to Be Compromised
811493 MS03-013: Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling Could Lead to Elevated Privileges
328310 MS02-071: Flaw in Windows WM_TIMER Message Handling Can Enable Privilege Elevation
823980 MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution
331953 MS03-010: Flaw in RPC Endpoint Mapper Could Allow Denial of Service Attacks
323255 MS02-055: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility May Allow Attacker to Run Code
810577 MS03-005: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Redirector May Permit Privilege Elevation
815021 MS03-007: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Component May Cause Web Server Compromise
329115 MS02-050: Certificate Validation Flaw Might Permit Identity Spoofing
329170 MS02-070: Flaw in SMB Signing May Permit Group Policy to Be Modified
817606 MS03-024: Buffer Overrun in Windows Could Lead to Data Corruption
814033 Cannot Install Driver Updates from the Windows Update Web Site
810833 MS03-001: Unchecked Buffer in the Locator Service Might Permit Code to Run
823559 MS03-023: Buffer Overrun in the HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution
329048 MS02-054: Unchecked Buffer in File Decompression Functions May Allow Attacker to Run Code
329441 You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
817287 Windows Update 643 Error and the Catalog Database
329390 MS02-072: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Might Permit System Compromise
329834 MS02-063: Unchecked Buffer in PPTP Implementation May Permit Denial-of-Service Attacks
811630 HTML Help Update to Limit Functionality When It Is Invoked with the window.showHelp Method
824146 MS03-039: A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS May Allow Code Execution

Added this to my cd and installed it in in VMware and then ran Windows Update and then this showed up with others:

Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826939) and the download was 228kb.

Does this happen to everyone or did I do something wrong?

I selected only that one to install and it downloaded and installed in minutes.

Not sure what's going on or if this is normal by the way it was slipstreamed into the cd.

Thanks

Sidespike

It amazes me the comments by some people. All i see is comments like "it isnt a true slipstream" and "just use -x to extract it". I'm willing to bet the people making these comments haven't even tried the rollup slipstream guide.

And yes, it isn't a "true" slipstream because update.exe is run, but it's as close as you'll get. I spent several hours and 5 installs to get the method right, and i really didn't see anything to be gained spending another 5 hours just to bypass update.exe.

As Aaron mentioned, with this method the xp install takes about the same time as without the rollup. To me, that's good enough. I had some ideas on how to truely slipstream this. But does it really matter if the catalog file is registered by update.exe or syssetup.inf? Either way the catalog file gets registered, who cares how it's done.

Update.exe only takes less than a meg anyway. A true slipstream would only save you less than a meg of space. So again, who cares?

It would be nice if rather than complaining there could be some "thank you's". Aaron took time to make a nice guide with pictures and explanations for you guys, saving you guys some work. I also spent some time finding this method and testing it.

-gosh

Let me be one of the first to say Thank You to all You guys!

I have learnt a lot - and still learning more every day.

The guide is very good :rolleyes:

And as I have the hole slipstreamed XP-cd on a separate drive it was even easier than in the guide. :)

Keep up the good work - You have a keen supporter here.

/ SwedenXP :D

It amazes me the comments by some people.  All i see is comments like "it isnt a true slipstream" and "just use -x to extract it".  I'm willing to bet the people making these comments haven't even tried the rollup slipstream guide.

And yes, it isn't a "true" slipstream because update.exe is run, but it's as close as you'll get.  I spent several hours and 5 installs to get the method right, and i really didn't see anything to be gained spending another 5 hours just to bypass update.exe.

As Aaron mentioned, with this method the xp install takes about the same time as without the rollup.  To me, that's good enough.  I had some ideas on how to truely slipstream this. But does it really matter if the catalog file is registered by update.exe or syssetup.inf?  Either way the catalog file gets registered, who cares how it's done.

Update.exe only takes less than a meg anyway.  A true slipstream would only save you less than a meg of space.  So again, who cares?

It would be nice if rather than complaining there could be some "thank you's".  Aaron took time to make a nice guide with pictures and explanations for you guys, saving you guys some work.  I also spent some time finding this method and testing it.

-gosh

:/ First of all, I wasn't trying to criticize. I was just trying to clear up the way we all word/perceive the idea of a slipstream....I'm not sure there is a "real" definition, but this is how I perceive it.

Secondly, you are right, I have not applied it. :) I have however read through it and I would have to say it seem to be as effecient as possible given what M$ has given us.

It's not about whether I appreciate what you did or not, it's about always questioning if there's a better way......I think even you have done this in your endeavors to make the best installation for your needs. I honestly expected M$ to include a slipstream tool the way they did SP1...but I'm satisfied now that that is not the case.

I do appreciate all the work you guys do. Thank you very much. You've done a great job and saved me a lot of time. :rolleyes:

Oh, is anyone gonna answer Sidespike's question? :D

I am in the middle of trying to slipstream this the service pack way, i have got this so far, what you need to do is download the rollup to your desktop run this command script and it will create a folder called Rollup on your %systemdrive% then create a subfolder called root and extract the files to your %systemroot%\rootfolder, allthough i dont think it is possible to slipstream it properly at the very least this will enable you to extract the files to your prefered folder

cls
@echo off
MKDIR %systemdrive%\Rollup
SET ROLLUP=%systemdrive%\Rollup
MOVE "%userprofile%\Desktop\Windows*.exe" %Rollup%\Rollup.exe
MKDIR %ROLLUP%\Root
SET ROOT=%ROLLUP%\Root
START /WAIT %ROLLUP%\Rollup.exe -Q -X:%Root%

it seems as though you have to start xpsp1hfm.exe to get the update.exe file in the sp2\update folder then you have to kill the update task and the xpsp1hfm task then start update\update.exe, because update does not exist untill you start xpsp1hfm, the problem i am having though is that update seems to only accept these switches

the following section is taken from svcpack.log that is created from trying to slipstream update.exe using the above method

[svcpack.log]

2003/10/16  23:14:41.761

Exe = update.exe, Version = 5.3.23.4

================== Update.exe started in Slipstream mode at 10/16/2003 at 23:14:41 ==================

Service Pack started with following command line: -q -S:"D:Slipstream\XP"

AVAILABLE SWITCHES:
[/help] [/quiet] [/passive] [/uninstall] [/norestart] [/forcerestart] [/l] [/n] [/o] [/f]  

/help  Displays this message

SETUP MODES

/quiet  Quiet mode (no user interaction or display)
/passive  Unattended mode (progress bar only)
/uninstall  Uninstalls the package

RESTART OPTIONS

/norestart  Do not restart when installation is complete
/forcerestart Restart after installation

SPECIAL OPTIONS

/l Lists installed Windows hotfixes or update packages
/o Overwrite OEM files without prompting
/n Do not backup files needed for uninstall
/f Force other programs to close when the computer shuts down

AVAILABLE SWITCHES:
[/help] [/quiet] [/passive] [/uninstall] [/norestart] [/forcerestart] [/l] [/n] [/o] [/f]  

/help  Displays this message

SETUP MODES

/quiet  Quiet mode (no user interaction or display)
/passive  Unattended mode (progress bar only)
/uninstall  Uninstalls the package

RESTART OPTIONS

/norestart  Do not restart when installation is complete
/forcerestart Restart after installation

SPECIAL OPTIONS

/l Lists installed Windows hotfixes or update packages
/o Overwrite OEM files without prompting
/n Do not backup files needed for uninstall
/f Force other programs to close when the computer shuts down

i hope this helps someone and inspires them to do more than i have managed to do with it

Lee

You cannot slipstream the rollup, just like you couldn't slipsteam the win2k security rollup.

The reason you can slipstream a service pack is because it has IP and IC folders that contain the slipstream files. IP is for xp pro, IC is for XP Home. If you look at these folders you will see they have files such as txtsetup.sif, dosnet.inf, hivedef.inf, and others. The rollup doesn't have any IP or IC folders, and it has none of these files, so you cannot slipstream it. I guess you could manually make these files for the rollup, but that seems really complicated.

As i mentioned i gave up on trying to truely slipstream the rollup because it works good enough for me. The update folder is less than a meg, and the install takes about the same time with the rollup as without the rollup, so im happy with that.

To truely slipstream the rollup all you need to do is find a way to register KB826939.cat and import the registry keys. The registry keys wouldn't be an issue, but the catalog file would be. XP setup installs the catalog files first, at the 33 min mark using syssetup.inf. Syssetup.inf is digitally signed and there's no way to modify this.

I do have one interesting idea to "bypass" this microsoft crap. One idea i had is to rename KB826939.cat to tabletpc.cat and put it into the i386 folder, deleting the old one. Even if you don't have a tablet pc, xp sp1 will register the catalog file. I'm thinking all xp setup does is look for a valid digital signature, i don't think xp setup really cares if tabletpc.cat is the real one or not. Also, xp sp1 setup processes tabletoc.inf. You might be able to install the catalog by renaming it to tabletpc.cat, and you might be able to import the rollup registry keys by putting them into tabletpc.inf. If anyone wants to try it go for it, i never attempted this.

-gosh

Could it possible using makecab to compress the files in sp2 folder?

(I meant the sp2 folder is from "Step 1 - Copying the CD to the Hard Drive and extracting the Update Rollup ")

ex : makecab C:\sp2\accwiz.exe C:\sp2\ACCWIZ.EX_

And replace the old file in i386 folder instead of moving to Backup folder.

But I haven't tested.. I'll give it a try.. :rolleyes:

It would save more space in Unattended XP CD, wouldn't it?

Anyway, thanks Aaron and Gosh for the great work :D

:)

Hi Guys,

Now this might sound silly, has anyone created a batch file that removes the 22 hotfixes from your Hotfixes folder under $OEM$ that WindowsXP-KB826939-x86-ENU.exe now replaces ?

I am going to create a batch file if no one has as this will be a little easier to remove the old fixes rather than sifting through 70+ files to find the right ones to remove.

Your comments please, and be nice :)

Regards,

dare2001