Help deciding which operator system I should use

_Erik

Hello, everybody

Basically I am trying to decide wheter I should use 2000, XP or Vista.

With the recent release of Vista I got a bit curious about Windows Vista. At first the hight system requirements scared me away but after running the Upgrade Advisor from MS I started to wonder if Vista was possible on my PC. And more important, would it be much slower then XP or about the same.

I am currently running Windows XP, un -nlited and no components removed with other software. It flawless and quite fast. I was wondering of running Windows 2000 would give me an overall performance increase since the system specs needed for 2000 are quite low.

I mainly use my computer for browsing, email, office, watching movies, listening to music. And I occasionally play Call Of Duty (1 and 2). I am on a home network with one more computer, sharing files and a printer.

So the question is, on my machine would

a. Vista be a lot slower then XP?

b. Would 2000 be a lot faster then XP? And if so, would using nlite to make a slimmed down version of XP help performance aswel?

Or Should I

c. just stick to XP and upgrade when I get a new computer in the (far, as I am okay with this machine) future?

My system specs (or the ones I believe are relevant) are:

Athlon XP 2000+ Polamino @ 1667 MHz

1 GB DDR RAM

GeForce 7300 GT

It's an old HP Pavillion 771.nl with some upgrades (more RAM, Better GPU, Larger and faster second HD and several USB 2 port)

Edited by _Erik

I would probably stick with XP untill you are ready to get a new computer with Vista. Going to 2000 might make things a little bit faster, but not a lot. Beyond that it sounds like you have the XP running how you want it and making any changes you will ahve to get everything put in order so it may not be worth the trouble untill you are ready to upgrade the whole computer.

Honestly, I'd say stick with Windows XP for now and just upgrade the hardware when you have the money to do so. Make sure you clean your temp/junk/cache with CCleaner or nCleaner (a knock-off of CCleaner that is portable), defragment your drive and keep your start-entries at a minimum.

I would have to agree with the majority, stick with XP. I had Vista installed and I really did like it but I also use that box for playing games and there were just too many issues with performance. (specifically Doom3 but all games ran a bit slower (BF2142, Half Life 2, EQ2 seems to be the only game that ran just as good if not better). I re-installed XP about two weeks ago and I'm stuck because I really liked the way Vista performed and looked so I want to put it back on but I need to play my games for stress relief.

Overall if you play games stick with XP, also the drivers for my X-fi card on Vista blew big time. No microphone support and the card sounded like crap. Now that XP is back on my Polk Audios sound like themselves and not a pair of audivox specials from the flee market.

Once driver support gets up to speed and games come out that are made for Vista I'll switch back.

System: Opteron 185 OCd to 3.05, 2GB Corsair XLL, RAID 0, ATI X1950 pro, X-FI Pro sound card.

Well, thank you all for the replies. Sticking with XP is probably the best thing to do.

And Jeremy, I have been a happy CCleaner user for years. I run it daily and the only things in my startup folder are Comodo Firewall, AVG antivirus and Launchy (I could not live without launchy anymore). It boots up faster then my girlfriens 3.6 GHz pentium 4 that needs some maintenance (CCleaner, defragment, and so on).

Well, thank you all for the replies. Sticking with XP is probably the best thing to do.

And Jeremy, I have been a happy CCleaner user for years. I run it daily and the only things in my startup folder are Comodo Firewall, AVG antivirus and Launchy (I could not live without launchy anymore). It boots up faster then my girlfriens 3.6 GHz pentium 4 that needs some maintenance (CCleaner, defragment, and so on).

And just think of the Points you will earn with her once you do that! :thumbup

And just think of the Points you will earn with her once you do that!

Yep, and there are only two things you can do with your girlfriend while the system is defragging/scanning/cleaning and it is raining outside, and I guess you hate watching TV....;)

jaclaz

Yep, and there are only two things you can do with your girlfriend while the system is defragging/scanning/cleaning and it is raining outside, and I guess you hate watching TV....;)

Giggity giggity giggity GOO!!! B)

Allllriiiight...

lol...

And just think of the Points you will earn with her once you do that!

jaclaz

Well, we don't have a TV in the bedroom so that only leaves the other option :).