How To: Not Install Core Os Componants

One thing i haven't seen is a good guide on how to not install core things such as movie maker, system restore, net meeting, etc. Here is how to not install these things for XP. Same method will work for win2k and win2k3.

1 - Remove windows defragger

Delete dfrg.in_ from i386 folder

Download dfrg.inf and put it in your i386 folder.

Now when you install XP windows defragger won't be installed.

2 - Remove Movie maker

Delete moviemk.in_ from i386 folder

Download moviemk.inf and save it into i386 folder

Now when you install XP you won't have movie maker

3 - Remove windows messenger

Delete msmsgs.in_ from i386 folder

Download msmsgs.inf and save to i386 folder

Now when you install no more windows messenger

4 - Remove net meeting

Delete MSNETMTG.IN_ from i386 folder

Download MSNETMTG.INF to i386 folder

Now ms netmeeting is gone

5 - Remove system restore

Delete sr.in_ from i386 folder

Download sr.inf and save to i386 folder

Now system restore is gone

-gosh

very cool. but in order to save space on the install cd, which corresponding cab files can be deleted?

i would love to cut down the size of the unattended xp cd to about 250 megs as it would then fit on a 8cm cd-rom :) or allow office to sit on the same 700meg cd. xp and office do fit on one cd now already but it has to be a 870 meg one.

looking at the original INFs i have found references to thefollowing files:

moviemk.exe

wmmres.dll

wmmutil.dll

wmmfilt.dll

sample.asf

msmsgs.exe

msgsc.dll

msgslang.dll

online.wav

newemail.wav

newalert.wav

type.wav

logowin.gif

logo.gif

lvback.gif

msmsgsin.exe

mailtmpl.txt

and loads more. they are all listed in the [install App] section in the INF files. is it safe to delete those?

very cool. but in order to save space on the install cd, which corresponding cab files can be deleted?

i would love to cut down the size of the unattended xp cd to about 250 megs as it would then fit on a 8cm cd-rom :) or allow office to sit on the same 700meg cd. xp and office do fit on one cd now already but it has to be a 870 meg one.

i got office on my CD without delete them files in the above post!

i got office on my CD without delete them files in the above post!

yeah I know it is possible. but I would like to have a winxp cd of 250 megs. I know someone has cut xp down to 100 meg (mentioned in some other thread).

One thing i haven't seen is a good guide on how to not install core things such as movie maker, system restore, net meeting, etc.  Here is how to not install these things for XP.  Same method will work for win2k and win2k3.

1 - Remove windows defragger

Delete dfrg.in_ from i386 folder

Download dfrg.inf and put it in your i386 folder.

Now when you install XP windows defragger won't be installed.

2 - Remove Movie maker

Delete moviemk.in_ from i386 folder

Download moviemk.inf and save it into i386 folder

Now when you install XP you won't have movie maker

3 - Remove windows messenger

Delete msmsgs.in_ from i386 folder

Download msmsgs.inf and save to i386 folder

Now when you install no more windows messenger

4 - Remove net meeting

Delete MSNETMTG.IN_ from i386 folder

Download MSNETMTG.INF to i386 folder

Now ms netmeeting is gone

5 - Remove system restore

Delete sr.in_ from i386 folder

Download sr.inf and save to i386 folder

Now system restore is gone

-gosh

Can't these componants be told not to be installed in your winnt.sif ?

Here is another post that gosh posted...not sure where off hand I seen it...but it was worth while enough that I keeped a copy of it. :)

How to remove default windows componants in windows xp/2000/longhorn.

Here's a very little known way to remove default componants in XP. I've seen one website that uses a similiar method, but it wasn't for XP.

When you install windows XP, you're running setup.exe, which is just a stub for syssetup.dll (syssetup.dll runs in the memory process of setup.exe). Syssetup.dll uses syssetup.inf for the install options. At about the 30 minute remaining mark, syssetup.inf is uses to install the default componants. To see what's installed, open your syssetup.inf (located in %windir%\inf) and look at the section called [infs.Always]. Everything under here is processed, whether you're doing an upgrade or clean install. Below is what you'll see:

[infs.Always]

wsh.inf,DefaultInstall

ie.inf,DefaultInstall

secdrv.inf,DefaultInstall

mdac.inf,DefaultInstall

icwnt5.inf,DefaultInstall

nt5java.inf,DefaultInstall

mstask.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

msoe50.inf,DefaultInstall

wab50.inf,DefaultInstall

tshoot.inf,DefaultInstall

dfrg.inf,DefaultInstall

msinfo32.inf,DefaultInstall

axant5.inf,DefaultInstall

msnetmtg.inf,DefaultInstall

mplayer2.inf,InstallWMP64

sr.inf,DefaultInstall

icminst.inf,DefaultInstall

apcompat.inf,DefaultInstall

shell.inf,DefaultInstall

shl_img.inf,DefaultInstall

netupnph.inf,DefaultInstall

devxprop.inf,DefaultInstall

syssetup.inf,SpecialInstall

pchealth.inf,DefaultInstall

oobe.inf,DefaultInstall

sapi5.inf,DefaultInstall

moviemk.inf,DefaultInstall

qmgr.inf,DefaultInstall

skins.inf,InstallSkins

wmp.inf,Installwmp7

wmtour.inf,DefaultInstall

mymusic.inf,InstallWMPlaylist

swflash.inf,DefaultInstall

dimaps.inf,DefaultInstall

vgx.inf,DefaultInstall

srchasst.inf,DefaultInstall

The format is inf,install section. Back in NT4, you could modify syssetup.inf directly so componants weren't installed. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;156653. That article shows how to not install IE by default. Microsoft didn't like this however, since it let people have freedom and microsoft likes to control people. So in windows 2000 and XP (and longhorn), syssetup.inf is digitally signed and if you modify it, setup won't continue. However, you can still modify other infs. So what this means is you can modify the sub infs and setup won't install the componants.

For example, let's say you want to remove movie maker from being installed. Here's what you do:

1 - Look in the above list to see what inf movie maker uses and what install section. As you see, moviemk.inf is used with the section DefaultInstall.

2 - Copy your XP cd to hard drive, and delete i386\moviemk.in_, so setup doesn't process it.

3 - Make a new file in \i386 called moviemk.inf, and in this file put the following:

[version]

signature="$Windows NT$"

ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DefaultInstall]

4 - Now run setup from the flat you made on the hard drive, and movie maker won't be installed. You'll get an error during setup, but you can continue. After installation, in the program files folder you'll still have a movie maker folder, but it'll be empty.

The reason this works is because setup (syssetup.dll), sees it needs to process the DefaultInstall section of moviemk.inf. it finds the file and finds the section, but the section says to do nothing, so setup does nothing and continues.

Let's give another example that doesn't use DefaultInstall. Let's say you wanted to remove media player, which uses mplayer2.inf and InstallWMP64. All you would do is delete mplayer2.in_, make mplayer2.inf and put in it the following:

[version]

signature="$Windows NT$"

ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

LayoutFile=layout.inf

[installWMP64]

I've used this method to remove system restore, net meeting, outlook express, wab, media player, defrag, windows messenger. One thing to note though is outlook express is very messy. If you remove outlook express you cannot install outlook XP, and it's very hard to reinstall outlook express. However the others are removed without problems.

You can use this method to remove things not in syssetup.inf, such as windows messenger. Just delete msmsgs.in_, make msmsgs.inf, and copy this into it:

; MSMSGS.INF

; Setup INF file for Messenger

; Version 4,7,0,0041

[Messenger]

Suite = Windows Component

RTCSP = 1

MinIEVersion = 4

[version]

signature="$Windows NT$"

Version=4,7,0,0041

[Optional Components]

msmsgs

[msmsgs]

If you think about it, windows messenger should be in syssetup.inf, since microsoft says it's a system componant that cannot be removed, but microsoft didn't.

One other thing id like to point out, is that everything under Infs.Always in syssetup.inf can be reinstalled. For example, anything that says DefaultInstall can be reinstalled by right clicking on the inf and clicking install. As you see above, system restore uses sr.inf, so you could right click on %windir%\inf\sr.inf and click install, to reinstall system restore.

-gosh

Any ways both are good posts, but as 996 mentioned it would be nice to get a list of files that match up with the entrys...shouldn't be a big deal...maybe I'll see if I can figure out a list...might be a few days so if any one else gets a hair up thier a$$ feel free to beat me to the punch. :rolleyes:

I've tested the batch file and the result is positive. I've decided NOT to remove :sr and :pchealth.

when copying files setup coplains about the following files missing but continues anyhow:

Bxxx.xxx (hit escape before i got the name)

MSTASK.HLP

SNIFFPOL.DLL

SSTUB.DLL

TSHOOT.DLL

MNMDD.SYS

gui setup does not complain.

RESULT:

another 20 Megs off the cd :)