Component Cache - how safe to delete it?

rebelo

Hi there,

Is it safe or not to remove Components Cache in the current release of vLite, if you don't install/uninstall Windows componentes? I mean, I do install and uninstall a lot of 3rd party software, but I don't mess around with that control panel icon to add/remove Windows componentes. Well, 900 Mb seems good to me for removing it... but will Vista be unstable?

Thanks,

Rebêlo.

I would recommend leaving it installed. I had issues with Windows Update not working on an install that I chose to remove Component Cache.

update works fine for me with component cache removed...

on Control Panel\Windows Update on top left hand side click "Check for updates"

btw: nuhi,thanks for a great program...i had made a vlite dvd from ver 8,so then all i did was use that dvd and then removed the extras with ver 9 and now have vlite on cd (677 mb with everything removed except drivers for vid/audio/lan)

Edited by tom_vilsack

i dont think this is fixable when removin component cache, but maybe nuhi finds a way :)

tried many things and it only worked when i copy the whole or "most" winsxs folder to the nlited winsxs

i think every hotfix needs specified folders in winsxs

@tom_vilsack checking updates is not the problem, installing them is the problem that did not work (at least for me it did not after removing Component Cache).

well updates downloaded and installed for me...

my config=removed everything from version 8 except drivers for vid/snd/lan,..copied ver 8 dvd to harddrive ,installed version 9,removed everything that ver 8 did not cover except above drivers and made cd (677mb)...did clean install.

How come it's working? Everybody has the same problem. Without Component Cache updates don't install. Have you tried checking for updates again?

Yes there working for me (don't know how i can show you)...maybe it's something to do with me making verion 9 cd from version 8 dvd? (see above post)

tom_vilsack, very interesting, I'll be sure to check that.

TheTripleX, v0.8, v0.9

Just reinstalled again using v0.9 cd of which was made from v0.8 dvd and im getting updates installing again...so must be something in ver 0.8 that is allowing me to remove Component Cache in ver 0.9 and yet still retain ability to install updates...

Once again this is how i made dvd 0.8 and cd 0.9

"my config=removed everything from version 8 except drivers for vid/snd/lan,..copied ver 8 dvd to harddrive ,installed version 9,removed everything that ver 8 did not cover except above drivers and made cd (677mb)...did clean install."

how can i get ver. 8 so i can try this?

edit found ver 8 i will try this with my copy and let you know how it goes.

removed everything with ver8 except for aero theme,windows image viewer, ethernet drivers, and sidebar.

rebuilding it right now

and then im going to install version 9 take out w.e is left and burn it to a cd and see if i can install updates.

Edited by redrumy3