My Temperatures

Jeremy

well that top fan is prolly the most useless, but the front fan is a must.. for me at least.

I removed the front fan first and had it off for 5 minutes when I noticed temperatures went up by 2 degrees. Removing the top one afterwards didn't affect temperatures at all.

you know, i think my PSU was just cooking my box. about an hour ago i guess i got annoyed because my computer just rebooted randomly, and i decided, maybe the PSU is just overloaded...so i took out my front two fans, and so far, the temp of my case has gone down from 83F to 77F and has been a lot more stable. i haven't changed the clock rates of my processors, and technically, its just two fans out, because i have a fan with a duct blowing into the PSU to cool it. would taking the duct out change anything? i can take pictures of it tonight showing what fans are where for my cooling. basically there are no fans blowing directly into the case anymore. the CPUs have also cooled down significantly [for how hot they are], and are running at 69C each...fluctuating a little because i have nLite running. i want to cool this efficiently without spending any money because i need to save up for a graphics card.

i didn't want to make a new topic because this is already about cooling, but if thats better so be it.

Your CPUs are 69C?! :w00t::no::o

Removing the duct I doubt would change anything.

nLite has no impact on temperatures, that's just your OS. ;)

Unfortunately, I think the first priority would be to spend money on better cooling and put the video card on hold.

yea, i know my CPUs are blazing hot....i switched the temp gauge on my front panel to celcius, makes it easier for me to see whats going on...right now, the little temp probe is getting 24.6C and its sitting under the board behind where the processors are. i changed a lot of the leads for my internals, and right now, i have the CPUs slightly overclocked, just by about 13Mhz, the CPU's are bouncing around between 65 and 69C...each CPU has two fans cooling it, and there are two fans, the rear and the side fan that are blowing out. each of them are blowing out pretty warm air...i took the duct out earlier, and my PSU isn't as stressed, as speedfan is showing me that each rail has more than it did after removing 3 fans from the system. i will be getting my P4 system some ram off ebay soon [hopefully tomorrow] and then i'll look into a new case for it, as the case its in now is pretty flimsy. then i'll move this setup into the new case, and the P4 into this, as it will be so much more stable...all i need to do is get a new fan for its heatsink, which wont be hard at all. i'd get a new heatsink altogether, but its a socket 423, and its so hard finding heasinks for those, as i've had little luck lately. theres a case at a local store that i like, similar to the coolermaster stacker, only its almost completely mesh, jet black, no side window....i just want all my systems running well...i don't need new, i just need it running well. the new ram will definately help the P4, as it only has 256 at the moment, i plan on getting 4 128MB sticks for it, which wont cost me much, my allowance will get that...

for now, having the lower number of fans has brought the case temp down a little, as the CPUs even overclocked having hit 69C...they never really have run cool, and they're very close to each other...they're Slot2 architechture, so heat can't exactly radiate away from them easily.

i want to put the graphics card on hold, but it'll be for the P4 system, as its my most up to date, and i could use the DVI..i'd put the PCI card in it, but i still need an HDD for it...i'll see what i can scare up...i have the means, just not the ability at the moment. i have only one fan blowing into my system, i'm afraid that changing any fans still in it will just hurt it.....

you know, i think my PSU was just cooking my box. about an hour ago i guess i got annoyed because my computer just rebooted randomly, and i decided, maybe the PSU is just overloaded...so i took out my front two fans, and so far, the temp of my case has gone down from 83F to 77F and has been a lot more stable. i haven't changed the clock rates of my processors, and technically, its just two fans out, because i have a fan with a duct blowing into the PSU to cool it. would taking the duct out change anything? i can take pictures of it tonight showing what fans are where for my cooling. basically there are no fans blowing directly into the case anymore. the CPUs have also cooled down significantly [for how hot they are], and are running at 69C each...fluctuating a little because i have nLite running. i want to cool this efficiently without spending any money because i need to save up for a graphics card.

i didn't want to make a new topic because this is already about cooling, but if thats better so be it.

At 69C, expect another BSOD and reboot to be around the corner. :rolleyes:

:whistle: well, it actually never BSOD's me, and i'd rather not see a BSOD...i saw one at school when i opened system mechanic pro while running virtual PC 2004 and trying to install windows server...it just stops after a while, i thought, why not free up some ram, well...didn't quite go to plan.

the BSOD just flashed real quick, didn't get to see it, almost didn't want to. i'm gonna try to take out my slave drive, seeing as i have everything backed up onto my external, like my music and playlist...and i took out one of my optical drives...i think i overloaded a rail or something on the PSU...i don't quite have a way to tell...i saw a PSU calculator, said i was running 263W...my PSU is only 300...possible that i was overloading a rail...well, now i'm trying to minimalize...to the point of insanity...i may change the case this is in if i can get more ram for my P4 system...see if that helps any. but it'll take a long time to get there.

i almost want to put the fans back in because my HDDs got a lot hotter than normal...now around 37C, used to be 29C...

the CPU's i'm not too worried about, i'm looking for a matched pair of P3 Xeon Slot2's to replace them, for the clock speed and better heatsinks... haven't found any yet, but who knows.

i almost want to put the fans back in because my HDDs got a lot hotter than normal...now around 37C, used to be 29C...

My HDDs are usually 40C and below. They go up to 45C when I take them out of my case (or remove the side panel for maintenance or whatever).

i've read a ton of articles there about how people cool their PCs...like when i googled the heatsink my friend wanted to order, there was an article about it on silent pc...after i finish my homework, since i just have a little today, i'll try to run up a decent article.

basically i know that watercooling would be so difficult its almost not worth it, and the current setup i have is a little iffy.

i'm seriously looking for a new case, even if that means i'll loose the case window.

i'm actually trying to find a good one at the local dump, partly because there are very nice cases there, and i could even use one for a dummy, as its already trash, nothing really getting wasted in the process.

i have a few ideas, but seeing as there are no circle hole cutters around my house, i may have to seek elsewhere to get a job done the way i would like...i can see a pair of 80MM fans placed right by the processors blowing out of the case, with a fan on either side of the processors blowing towards them. it sounds handy..but i wouldn't do it with the case i have now. its just based on a special Xeon CPU cooler that i saw last night...only, more airflow. it turns out that they usually do run close to their thermal max, or at least as far as i've read, so its not like this is just a random case thats popped up. i'm also going to see if i can install Windows 98 SE on a spare HDD, if it works, and i can tweak it how i want it, i may even just do that, being as this board and CPU set was made around the time of windows 2000 server, 98 should run amazingly on it.

i'm gonna be getting my P4 system some more ram, hopefully it works, i'm going ebay on this, only because RDRam is so expensive new, if i can make my idea work, i'll play musical towers once again.

I recommend for anyone with high temperatures go to the SilentPCReview forum and post a screenshot of your system (inside your case), provide your specs and temperatures and ask for advice. The people there really know their stuff. My topic is here.

wait a minute, did you face the front fan the wrong way on purpose? btw, try shoving the psu cables underneath the psu.

Edited by ripken204