Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

For those who don't want to get the full Windows-KB870669-x86-ENU.exe patch, here is the .REG file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000566-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

thanks for this green

New Critical Update workaround for Internet Explorer to protect against the Download.Ject exploit. KB870669 under Type 2 Hotfixes added to the main list. I haven't had time to test this thoroughly, but install this after any MDAC patches you plan to install.

Alternatively you can use the reg fix suggested as GreenMachine (post above me) as this is all the patch does. Microsoft will be releasing a proper security patch for this exploit soon as this is only a workaround for the time being, so its optional whether you want to add this to your Unattended disc. Its only a 100KB download from Windows Update and doesn't require a reboot.

so you cant install the update in svcpack

then what are the swiches for the hotfixes bat for this one?

The usual /Q:A /R:N will work fine

zetto - on the 2nd tuesday of the month hopefully :)

The usual /Q:A /R:N will work fine

zetto - on the 2nd tuesday of the month hopefully :)

in hotfixes bat?

where did Aaron say it doesn't work in SVCPACK.INF? Or is personal expierence?

switches work regardless of where they're used, it's the ones with quotes that might need alittle modifying depending on where you got them, as \" doesn't work in a normal batch install.

where did Aaron say it doesn't work in SVCPACK.INF? Or is personal expierence?

switches work regardless of where they're used, it's the ones with quotes that might need alittle modifying depending on where you got them, as \" doesn't work in a normal batch install.

but install this after any MDAC patches you plan to install

mdac is installed ad first logon

btw thanks Aaron

...I haven't had time to test this thoroughly, but install this after any MDAC patches you plan to install.

Alternatively you can use the reg fix suggested as GreenMachine (post above me) as this is all the patch does.....

in my batch, i ran the following:

start /wait "%systemdrive%\Others\hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB817778-x86-ENU.exe /Q:A /R:N"
REGEDIT /S "%systemdrive%\Others\hotfixes\ADODB-Stream-object-from-IE-KB870669.reg"

where the reg file contained this code

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000566-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

i suppose, im being redundant doing both... what i would like to know however is which one would provide a better approach?

also, if running this after the MDAC update, would that apply with svcpack.inf as well (if im installing mdac update via svcpack.inf)? thanks.

Hey,

New guy here, just joined a few minutes ago.

I've been looking at the site for a coupla days, along with theeldergeek's tutorials.

Seems to be two completley different methods of installing the updates .... any tips or links? My heads kinda spinning a bit (does that often, no worries).

With the downloaded files, I've kept the originals, also got the renamed 8.3 versions, and extracted with the .cat files ready.

I'll admit it .... I'm confused.

Slightly off topic question; Was telling a friend about this, saying the CD size is the biggest limitation (for including programs), and he points out burning a DVD.

Is that doable? If so, I would guess it's the same steps.

Oh ya, I keep seeing XPSP1 referenced, is it all the same with XPSP1a?

Best advice is just to do alot of reading.

I spent hours just going over the registry tweaks.

This site and the links in it can do wonders for your unattended installs.

As an example, you asked about SP1a. Basically the only difference is the lack of msjava in SP1a but there are whole topics devoted to that subject.

I currently use cmdlines.txt and a log on batch to install updates and apps but next I am going to learn to use RunonceEx which has a cleaner look.

Look here for more help

nJoy!

for the updates, the easiest thing for you to do, as a beginnner may verywell be to use XPCREATE

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com

It's a program created by GreenMachine, and it autodownloads ALL the updates, and adds them to the Install the way Microsoft has in the documentation. Just put in your disk in your CDROM, edit the included INI file to reflect the location (read the site for more options) and double click the XPCREATE.CMD file, first time it will create the directories and exit, second time, wait for 30 minutes to 1 hour, and you're CD will be completely updated.

As for DVD, just think of a DVD as a REALLY big CD. Everything is the same.

XPSP1 can be ANY version of XP. THe only things that might be different is stuff in the Winnt.sif file, which you create with the setupmgr.exe program anyways.

just a quick question, why is it that in my default list of hotfixes, some exist that dont exist in xpcreate?

q837251

kb833407

kb832353

ive got 3 others, but i know why they arent there...fm2paste, msjvm, mdac_typ

and does anyone remember why I am installing fm2paste? I did a search, but cant find the topic anymore

I have not read this thread, and perhaps this is covered xxx times already, but still....

http://www.unattended.msfn.org/xp/gethotfixes.htm

Here you list four ways you can find out what hotfixes are out, but you have left out one of the easiest.

Download Qfecheak from MS

For W2000

For XP

For XP 64bit

and run it with the "/L" switch on a fully updated windows, and it gives you a list of all installed HF's and checks if they are installed correctly.

Good news, all 5 updates marked *NEW* (4 in Type1, and 1 in Type2) can be installed via svcpack.inf without any difficulty. Remove Q837009.exe from both svcpack.inf and your svcpack folder as this is superseded by the newer OE Update.

Your final svcpack.inf may look something like this. Only the [setupHotfixesToRun] part is shown:

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
JS56NEN.exe /Q:A /R:N
mdac.cmd
KB823182.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB823353.exe /Q:A /R:N
KB824105.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB824141.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB825119.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB826939.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB828035.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB828741.exe /Q /N /Z /O
KB832894.exe /Q:A /R:N