Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

Here's my svcpack.inf. It includes all Critical Updates as of today. Also, look at the command for installing the MDAC fix - you CAN include this fix in svcpack.inf. Thanks to another forum poster for showing this! Also included is Media Player 9. I have not included DirectX9.0b. Hope this is useful for you guys! I've tested this and it works great.

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\SvcPack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
WMP9MM2.EXE
KB814078.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB816093.EXE /Q:A /R:N
Q819696.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB823182.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB823353.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB824105.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB824141.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB825119.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
Q826939.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
Q828026.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB828035.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB828741.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
"Q832483.exe /C:""dahotfix.exe /q /n"" /q:a"
Q832894.EXE /Q:A /R:N
Q831167.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB835732.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB837001.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB839643.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB839645.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB840315.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB840374.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB841873.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB842773.EXE /Q /N /Z /O
KB870669.EXE /Q:A /R:N
QCHAIN.EXE

can someone help me with Q817778.exe?

i've tried it with both guirunonce -and- svcpack.inf.

i've tried -q -u -z, i've tried /u /q /z, i've tried /quiet and those switches.

when i do it on my already-installed windows i can get it silent. however, no matter what switches i try, it does the install silently except it pops up with a usage dialog - it's almost like it has a package or command run INSIDE of the package that has the wrong usage inside of it.

anyone have any pointers or anything you can help with possibly?

can someone help me with Q817778.exe?

i've tried it with both guirunonce -and- svcpack.inf.

i've tried -q -u -z, i've tried /u /q /z, i've tried /quiet and those switches.

when i do it on my already-installed windows i can get it silent. however, no matter what switches i try, it does the install silently except it pops up with a usage dialog - it's almost like it has a package or command run INSIDE of the package that has the wrong usage inside of it.

anyone have any pointers or anything you can help with possibly?

erm.... when searching at microsoft Q817778 i dont get any matches. when searching at KB817778 i wil get a match. so please rename it.... maybe it will help.....

i have found this at the first page, you dont say which 817778 it is:

NOT SVCPACK.INF SUPPORTED - Anything shown below must not be processed by svcpack. Instead, these should be installed on first logon to process silent unattended installations of these updates.

Q817787 (Switch: /Q:A /R:N) (6th May 2003)

Flaw in Windows Media Player Skins Downloading Could Allow Code Execution

Download - 360 KB

Note: This is for Windows Media Player 8 on Windows XP, you do not have to install this if you plan to install Windows Media Player 9.

Q817778 (Switch: Same as "type 1" switches) (23rd July 2003)

Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP - 1.21 MB

hi.

you're both wrong.

Q817778 (Switch: Same as "type 1" switches) (23rd July 2003)

Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP - 1.21 MB

that is the one, and i've tried the suggested "type 1" switches as well.

go ahead, someone try it out on their CD. or someone show me how they launch it and that it doesn't popup ANYTHING. because it pops up a usage error no matter how i do it, as stated above (but it's a usage error AFTER it runs the installation up front... so it's a second embedded setup command it runs or something it seems. and looking at the .infs and such i see no place to modify anything that looks like it will help.)

Installing hotfixes not supported by svcpack

There are three updates that cannot be processed by svcpack.inf (or uses a different command syntax) at the time of writing up this guide:

Q832483 - Buffer overrun in an MDAC function could allow code execution

Q817787 - Flaw in Windows Media Player Skins Downloading Could Allow Code Execution (Only needed for WMP8)

Q817778 - Advanced Networking Pack

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/installhotfixes.htm

but if it cant be install silenty, why dont leave this update before driving you crazy? i guess your other hotfixes works without errors?

you're both wrong.

No offense, but I don't see how I'm wrong. I said the name of the hotfix shouldn't have a difference, refering to the Q rather then KB. The type of hotfix however does matter.

Second, it does work. I did it along time ago, but then I didn't keep including it as I never used it. Perhaps post a screenshot of the window?

you're both wrong.

No offense, but I don't see how I'm wrong. I said the name of the hotfix shouldn't have a difference, refering to the Q rather then KB. The type of hotfix however does matter.

Second, it does work. I did it along time ago, but then I didn't keep including it as I never used it. Perhaps post a screenshot of the window?

somewhere i have read yesterday someone have a problem with installing and the solution was the renaming from Q to KB.....

on microsoft u will see it is called KB...

so try it. then i have full rght to say alanoll was wrong :)

@SolidasRock

Ah but you didn't say it now did you? :)

And actually, it's KB if it's a knowledge base article that got addressed. The name really shouldn't have any difference. I rename all mine to just the numbers for simplicity. Haven't had a problem.

I've attached an image that shows the error during T-12. It doesn't matter what file name is used, so that confirms what Alanoll already said. Apparently the problem seems to be coming from something that gets executed from inside the hotfix package. Installing it with RunOnceEx causes trouble as well, where QFECheck says that it needs to be reinstalled (which validates after doing a manual install and reboot).

post-70-1090529405_thumb.png

I've attached an image that shows the error during T-12. It doesn't matter what file name is used, so that confirms what Alanoll already said. Apparently the problem seems to be coming from something that gets executed from inside the hotfix package. Installing it with RunOnceEx causes trouble as well, where QFECheck says that it needs to be reinstalled (which validates after doing a manual install and reboot).

which update give the trouble.....? :|

this is exactly the screen that pops up.

no matter where i execute it, no matter what switches.

if anyone has got it to work, please paste your guirunonce line or svcpack line.

nobody has posted yet that it works with proof. just "i've done it in the past" which doesn't help me right now.

i meant to say "you're both wrong with some of your assumptions" -

"My only guess is that you're doing something wrong. Sorry... " was wrong.

"i guess he have Wm9 and is trying to install a hotfixes for Wm8.... " was wrong.

obviously the first one might have some merit, but it is pointless to post unless you're going to try helping.

like i said i've done it -as suggested- and even tried improvising with other things i've learned through this process, and -none- of them seem to work.

so, unless someone can show us proper switches or make your own .msi that somehow applies this properly (i was looking into that but this update seems to be really odd...) then any post here is useless regarding (KB|Q)817778.

@SolidasRock

Ah but you didn't say it now did you? :)

And actually, it's KB if it's a knowledge base article that got addressed. The name really shouldn't have any difference. I rename all mine to just the numbers for simplicity. Haven't had a problem.

no i learn my lessons..... :rolleyes:

which update give the trouble.....? :|

=_=;

KB817778.