Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

1st of all thanks for this forum, I've found a lot of answer there without asking any question.

But this time I've got a question with no answer (not for long I'm shure)

The new hotfixe for DirectX posted by Microsoft on the 8th is splitted in 3.

If I would like to apply it on my current computer I need the one for DirectX 9.

If I would like to apply it on my install CD, hotfixes are installed prior to programs so I need the hotfixes for DirectX 8 while DirectX 9 is installed after. I'm obliged to apply the specific patch for DirectX9 after or is there any other way to do something cleaner ? (I'm not using XPCreate yet)

Any suggestion ?

You don't need to install DirectX 8 hotfixes if you're going to install 9.0b because it already contains these previous fixes. Install DirectX 9.0b then the new hotfix (released on the 8th) afterwards.

@AaronXP

hi,

as you mentioned on the first page of this thread:

Q839643 (8th June 2004)  *NEW*

Vulnerability in DirectPlay Could Allow Denial of Service

Download - 443 KB (Download this update if you plan a full installation of DirectX 9.0b prior to this update)

Download - 435 KB (This is for DirectX on a default Windows XP SP1 installation without DirectX 9.0b)

Does this mean the Q839643 hotfix can be installed via SVCPack by installing the 435kb hotfix (for nonDX9) before DX9b(DX9NTopk.exe) via SVCPack as well? or has anyone tried it already.

I've done a bit of testing and its apparent that the DX9 hotfix (DirectX90-KB839643-x86-ENU.EXE) doesn't like to be installed alongside DX9NTopk.exe in svcpack.inf (even when positioned after DX9NTopk.exe).

If you have this problem, install the DX9 Hotfix on first logon instead.

it's some command that directx executes upon logon that registers the DLLs and replacing the new ones.....

I checked after the hotfix applied, the files were correct, but upon log on they were back to the old files.

As a side note, it truly is something with the install routine of the OPK because if you slipstreamed DX9 using jdoebeck's batch file, you can apply the hotfix just fien....

Thanks Aarron

I've done some testing to, installing DX9 (patched) in svcpack.inf before 839643 and get the same result, patch don't apply.

As Alanoll mentioned, I will try the slipstream with jdoebeck's batch, seem to be the best solution.

Just wanted to ask - is it safe to list Q831167 directly under Q832894 in svcpack.inf? Or should I allow a couple of other updates to go by first before letting the former install, to allow time for the latter's updating to have fully finished?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't want to get the full Windows-KB870669-x86-ENU.exe patch, here is the .REG file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000566-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

New Critical Update workaround for Internet Explorer to protect against the Download.Ject exploit. KB870669 under Type 2 Hotfixes added to the main list. I haven't had time to test this thoroughly, but install this after any MDAC patches you plan to install.

Alternatively you can use the reg fix suggested as GreenMachine (post above me) as this is all the patch does. Microsoft will be releasing a proper security patch for this exploit soon as this is only a workaround for the time being, so its optional whether you want to add this to your Unattended disc. Its only a 100KB download from Windows Update and doesn't require a reboot.