Chip set Whines

Lost Soul

hi this is kinda a annoying thing, that ive been putting off for some time now,, well any ways my chip set fan Whines some times and loudly but mostly when i power up my system, i cant remember if it used to do this when i first built my system 4 years ago, but i doubt it,, well any ways,, i was curious about what ppl thought on how i should remidy this,,

i was thinking of simply taking the chipset fan out making sure its blown clean and then pulling back its sticker and dropping an eyedrop of some sort of oil / lubrication for it,, then resealing the sticker ..

is this a good ideal ? or is there a better way to go about this ?

=============

and also i guess while im writing this thread i have another question,, well its getting cold now , but in the summer when i had my side wall on the case on,, my pc would shut off from heat,,

and i remember that my chip set fans used to make this Whineing sound from time to time but especially at power up / boots..

well to try to remidy this problem,, ive replaced the heat sink and fan,, and added 2 more fans to cool off the pc and yet it still was shutting off during hot days,,

so i ask this question,, if the chipset isnt getting a good cooling,, would that shut the pc down ?

well, id like to have my case cover back on,, but im tired of it over heating,,, so if you guys could hit me with a few ideals of suggestions,, that would be helpful..

could be the bearings in the chipset fan are going bad...and causing it to overheat...is it a chipset on a video card,motherboard or what...also most bio's will let you check the 'temperture' once you boot into bios.

Using compressed air to clean fan is a good idea. Oiling not to good of an idea, why? They have sealed bearings and it wont do any good another reason when the fan spools up where do you think the oil will go.

Maybe om the MB and short some things out.

Try cleaning or replacing fan.

DW

its the chipset on the mobo,, and it only whines at system boot up and after that its all quiet,, but from time to time it will whine for 30 to 45 seconds then it will be quiet

and im not sure checking th temp with my bios

Edited by Lost Soul

those heatsink he posted are for the chipsetm not the cpu. they are passive which means no fan to make noise. and you say your current fan makes noise only for the first 30sec or so, well then who cares?

that is just b/c its going at 100% during that time, it happens for me too but for only like 5-10 sec. i beleive that a new fan will not fix this, unless you go passive.

that is just b/c its going at 100% during that time, it happens for me too but for only like 5-10 sec.

It’s not about running 100%, it’s a bad worn out bearing here ;). After some time the fan gets hotter and the material expands. This is why you have 30 seconds of humming sound and then stops. Those +/-7000rpm 40mm fans s*ck.

Get rid of it and get a passive heatsink.

Would've worked with the older chipsets that didn't generate a lot of heat. Not a good idea for the newer ones.

and why not? as long as you hve good airflow it will work great, it did for me. mine kept temps about 1-2C higher than a fan would.