Problems With Symantec Antivirus 2005

I would be grateful for advice on the following problem:

When I open up my Symantec Antivirus application the following message appears:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavaiable.

Click OK to try again, or enter a alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'symantec Antivirus.msi in the box below"

Then there is a drop box which has been defaulted to: F\AV\SAV

Please can anyone help on this matter.

Thanks

Z

Thasnks Ner

BUT,

If I remove Norton, how do I go about re-installing it.

AS my friend gave this PC with Norton already on it. He said that it was the Norton that companies used and it should not expire.

I am worried that If i uninstall it, I won't hbe able to re-install it again. I have no idea how he put the Norton on this machine

Thanks

Z

Consider it a godsend for your PC not to cooperate with Symantec/Norton anymore. Sure they detect a lot of viruses with the massive definitions databases they have, but they are highly problematic and resource-heavy.

There is actually a freeware tool that detects more viruses than Symantec, and it's more suitable for home PCs than something like Symantec. It's called AntiVir (That's the direct download link.)

If you're willing to pay for anti-virus the two overall best products are Kaspersky and NOD32. Don't believe me?

www.av-comparatives.org. Best site for comparative/stats on how anti-virus products perform.

There are several things you can do to pre-secure yourself. If you plan on searching the web, download and install freeware Sandboxie (latest version). Run your browser Sandboxed, grab a nasty bunch of malware, close the browser, right-click on the Sandboxie icon, click 'Empty Sandbox'... where'd the malware go?

Also, don't open unknown e-mails (no matter what) hell, call/IM the person if it's known and ask them if they just e-mailed you.

Don't click everything on a site, but as I said, if you want to, run it Sandboxed.

Get a good router to protect yourself from incoming debris.

Use harddrive imaging software! Norton Ghost, Acronis true Image.

Things like that. :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, people confuse Symantec products and Norton products to be one in the same. There's Norton Anti-Virus and Symantec Anti-Virus. Processes and info below.

Norton Anti-Virus 2006 Processes (When only running in the background with default settings)

nav2006processesidlelm2.png

Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Processes (When only running in the background with default settings)

saceprocessesidlevp8.png

NAV2006 Stats (Approx)

Mem Usage - 33,828

Peak Mem Usage - 101,276

VM Size - 43,856

SAVCE Stats (Approx)

Mem usage - 60,256

Peak mem usage - 70,312

VM Size - 46,600

Remember, these aren't from after a scan, but before.

Edited by Jeremy

lol, I used to be a McAfee fanboy until the 2007 viruscan suite came out, you should have seen my reaction the first time I opened up my task manager :o. It didn't affect peformance too bad but geez, 10 services/14 processes, I'm a neat freak and couldn't handle that.

Edited by Tasslehoff

I don't have a screenshot since I'm not running it right now, but NOD32 uses approximately 15Mb :P

NOD32 v2.70.9 Beta Idle, Running in the background

nod32beforescanninglk9.png

NOD32 v2.70.9 Beta After a Full System Scan

nod32afterscanningaw8.png

Approx:

Before Scan:

Mem Usage - 23,124 MB

Peak Mem Usage - 29,132 MB

VM Size - 19,428 MB

After Scan:

Mem Usage - 43,848 MB

Peak Mem Usage - 62,768 MB

VM Size - 37,644 MB

I'm beginning to think "Peak Mem Usage" isn't an important stat to record since it seems like an initial spike that isn't again met by the application's overall memory usage during normal operations.

I think Task Manager is still good enough to give users a general perspective of how much a program more or less uses. You show me something that does accurately display memory usage statistics and I will gladly redo all the screenshots for all 18 anti-virus programs I have currently tested.

I don't have a screenshot since I'm not running it right now, but NOD32 uses approximately 15Mb :P

NOD32 v2.70.9 Beta Idle, Running in the background

nod32beforescanninglk9.png

NOD32 v2.70.9 Beta After a Full System Scan

nod32afterscanningaw8.png

Approx:

Before Scan:

Mem Usage - 23,124 MB

Peak Mem Usage - 29,132 MB

VM Size - 19,428 MB

After Scan:

Mem Usage - 43,848 MB

Peak Mem Usage - 62,768 MB

VM Size - 37,644 MB

I'm beginning to think "Peak Mem Usage" isn't an important stat to record since it seems like an initial spike that isn't again met by the application's overall memory usage during normal operations.

I was talking about v2.51. The later versions are getting worse :}

...and Tarun, find a more official source. A wiki with no citations, or other references just looks a little suspicious...

Edited by LLXX

I think Task Manager is still good enough to give users a general perspective of how much a program more or less uses. You show me something that does accurately display memory usage statistics and I will gladly redo all the screenshots for all 18 anti-virus programs I have currently tested.

Personally, I prefer using ProcessExplorer. Never had a problem with it and use it at work constantly.

LLXX, there's no need for citation when biznatchio not only wrote the article, he also knows plenty about Windows memory management.

LLXX, there's no need for citation when biznatchio not only wrote the article, he also knows plenty about Windows memory management.
That's what you think... according to you someone could write a huge, verbose, official-looking essay claiming anything and you would probably believe it because the author "seemed to know much on the subject".

Having no references makes it all the more suspicious.

After searching the Internet a few times to see if this information has been published somewhere else, (e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22task+man...art=10&sa=N ) there is nothing else that supports the claims found in your source.

From what I've seen, Task Manager is reporting accurately. See http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=581316 for one example of calculating a memory usage.

Edited by LLXX