Suggestions for a new m/board

clavicle

Hi everyone!

Can someone suggest a good motherboard based on conroe processor to go with a pair of OCZ PC2-6400 800MHz Dual Channel Kit - OCZ2P8002GK (this one I got here in India and cannot be returned).

This particular RAM works on 2.1v, and latest 965 chipset doesn't go beyond 1.8v (as per Intel specifications).

So can someone suggest a good Asus or other motherboard to go with this pair of RAM?

Thanks in advance.

...but Gigabyte beats it :lol:

Agreed. I just decided to use the DS3 in my new rig too. The Asus boards seemed nice too, but they basically offered nothing extra besides costing a bunch more.

CPU wise, I thought about going with the 6600 at first, but it seemingly doesn't OC as well (usually), and the performance gain once OC'ed seemed somewhat negligible over what you get out of a 6400 - not enough to warrant the 100$ price gap IMO. The extra multiplier is half-negated by not OC'ing as well, but it also has twice the cache - nice, but not worth 100$ more IMO. The 6400 OC'ed can beat the 6600 (even seen it beat the 6700 on some encoding benches if OC'ed a lot), which is plenty fast for most stuff already (the 6400 un-OC'ed is already fast enough as far as I'm concerned) But if the cash's burning a hole in your pocket, why not get a 6600?

...but Gigabyte beats it :lol:

Agreed. I just decided to use the DS3 in my new rig too. The Asus boards seemed nice too, but they basically offered nothing extra besides costing a bunch more.

CPU wise, I thought about going with the 6600 at first, but it seemingly doesn't OC as well (usually), and the performance gain once OC'ed seemed somewhat negligible over what you get out of a 6400 - not enough to warrant the 100$ price gap IMO. The extra multiplier is half-negated by not OC'ing as well, but it also has twice the cache - nice, but not worth 100$ more IMO. The 6400 OC'ed can beat the 6600 (even seen it beat the 6700 on some encoding benches if OC'ed a lot), which is plenty fast for most stuff already (the 6400 un-OC'ed is already fast enough as far as I'm concerned) But if the cash's burning a hole in your pocket, why not get a 6600?

Agreed and must admit that Asus board may not match the OC abilities of Gigabyte. For one thing, RAM voltage of P5B is max upto 2.1v but that of Gigabyte goes upto 2.3v. Certainly, my choice of going in for e6600 is not that rigid, and also going by various benchmarks, performance ratio and OC abilities of e6300 and e6400, either of the two can be considered to make a right choice.

But the choice is getting clearer for Gigabyte, I think!

This motherboard is ddr400 only, so I may have to rule it out.

What about Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3

Don't bash me for using onboard x3000 graphics crap. I have simpler reasons, firstly this one is not going to be used as gaming pc, but subsequently I may use the onboard PCI 16x to install some good Graphics card (provided this option is available) and free my RAM. But can someone really help me rule this particular board out or in?

Another feature I require is RAID option, the manuals of ga-965g-ds3, p965-DS3 and S3 mentions availablity of Gigabyte RAID, but performance wise I am not sure if Intel Matrix is winner or Gigabyte RAID controller would do well.

Any comments!

Edited by clavicle

What about Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3

Another feature I require is RAID option, the manuals of ga-965g-ds3, p965-DS3 and S3 mentions availablity of Gigabyte RAID, but performance wise I am not sure if Intel Matrix is winner or Gigabyte RAID controller would do well.

Any comments!

Not going to bash you or anything. I actually considered buying it instead of the DS3. But it's already like 30$ more, and if I ever want to have Aero Glass running on it at some point in the future, then it'll need a good amount of video RAM. And nice fast RAM is pretty expensive. 256MB out of a 2GB kit that cost 300$+ is like 50$ worth of RAM. Add those 2 up and it's enough to buy a a PCI-E GeForce 7300 GS with 256MB of RAM. Still not a gamer's card, but I saw the onboard option as being at least no cheaper. And it's really not a bad card at all - it can do things like hardware assist of decoding high def H.264 & mpeg2 & wmv9 video and such things that the onboard likely can't. When time comes to swap it for something beefier, then that card will still be usable in another PC too (considering the card "didn't cost you anything" to start with, it's not bad at all) AFAIK, it uses a bit less power and it's a bit faster than the X300 too.

Between the S3 and the DS3 IIRC, the price difference was minimal, and it will prolong the life of the board, that's why I picked the DS3. Nice, quality board that's OC friendly and all. But then again, if someone's not willing to pay the 40$ difference between the 6300 and 6400...

Edited by crahak