Upgraded 2.4ghz to 3ghz but computer lags

tubui

:help:

Yesterday I upgraded my processor from a P4 2.4 to a P4 3. And then a putting it in my brother used the air pressure thing to clean out the dust in my computer. Could it be strong enough to damage the motherboard?

After I plug in all the wires and turn on the computer, at first try, the fans were running but the picture on the monitor didn't show up.. And the red light on the mouse didn't show up ethier. So I powered it off and turned it on again, this time the monitor showed up and then the mouse's red light shows up 1 minute afterwards..

Then when my computer is up and running, it would lag spike at some moments. Like for example firefox, I would scroll down and it would lag there and then I have to wait a few seconds for it to unlag. Does anyone know whats wrong?

Is it the newly upgraded processor or the air pressure that is causing these problems?

if its not getting cooled properly a p4 will run a slow speeds

check your temperatures in the bios

How do I check that?

I'm using IE right now and its not giving me laggy problems like firefox, it seems like only Firefox is responding oddly... And no I haven't tested out the old one back yet but I know theres no component problems because its compatible.. Its just the wierd startup problems when I first turn on the machine and the firefox lag.

Don't bump threads...

Enter the BIOS setup and look for option "PC Health Status" or similar. It should display the idle temperature of the CPU as well as voltage and fan speeds.

Ok sorry.

Do I have to restart my computer to enter the BIOS setup?

And if what you say is true, then how come only FireFox is the one giving me laggage and all other programs aren't? I tested this on IE and it runs smoothly.. How come only FireFox? And how come on first startup, nothing responds then on second startup, monitor and mouse starts to run. :blink:

I also noticed that when FireFox starts to lag, the taskbar thingy disappears and then reappears.

How do I upgrade my BIOS? My friend suggested that I do that but can someone tell me how? Here is my info:

Motherboard: AOpen AX4SG Max

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4E, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

BIOS Type: Award

Award BIOS Type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Award BIOS Message: AX4SG Max R1.00 Apr.22.2003 AOpen Inc.

System BIOS Date: 04/22/03

Video BIOS Date: 06/16/04

Company Name: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Thank you in advance.

Do a tour of the aopen site for other mobo related downloads or click below if the link is still valid if you're a lazy moe

http://download.aopen.com.tw/userdownload_...del=AX4SG%20Max

It's usually considered best to update from the DOS prompt ie win98 startup floppy disk and running the program from a floppy but I've always just used the windows version fine with no problems on gigabyte boards.

If running from DOS I'm guessing you'd type:

asgm109f asgm109f.bin

where you'll be shown some sort of bios like screen and given the option to backup current bios, overwrite it with this new one etc.

if run from windows same options:

you'd just click wasgm109f and click the start flash button and hope you don't have a power failure/crash while it's flashing.

Edited by Tasslehoff

Ah, noobies with a high pressure air hose.

-or_

Noobies who change out their CPU without knowing how to access their BIOS or what the settings mean.

Fun to watch, isn't it?

I appriciate the compliment but if you have nothing helpful to post, then don't. :thumbup