Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

The Autopatcher August 2007 got stuck at the following point. The report and log are also attached.

Jack, thanks for the feedback ... also for the log files ... there is one more thing you can do: can you run AP in verbose mode (debug mode) and after it all stops, send me the debug.txt file that you will find in the \logs directory of the program folder. Cheers man.

I also have to ask: have you finally got good RAM sticks? Because if you don't there's no point reporting issues like these because for all we know its the RAM talking, not the program code. Last time i heard you were still dealing with less than perfect sticks ...

Edited by soporific

I've upgraded Auto-Patcher to the last version, there are still loop problems in:

1. DX_Media

2. HTMLHelp

3. kb937143

4. Servic9x

I'll try on a fresh installation, but something say me that this situation will happen again.

Hi Soporific, I've installed August release with little drama.

The KB837009 install looping is now fixed and of course the Q891711 selection bug is fixed.

However, after the OLE update installed and rebooted, I got a system message saying that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEDLG.DLL was missing and an application could not start (typical MS message that does not actually tell you what the application is!!!).

Anyway, I did find an OLEDLG00.DLL file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

After checking the OLE update INF, I found this file referenced.

It looks like it's supposed to be deleted when it's finished.

So I deleted OLEDLG00.DLL, extracted the OLE update, and copied over OLEDLG.DLL...

There appears to be some issue with the latest OLE update install.

I have not gone through the INF in detail yet.

All I need now is version checking of user32.dll and user.exe (like you do for other updates) for update Q891711.

Then I could select everything to install without worry about Revolutions... :rolleyes:

Oh well, maybe one day...

I've upgraded Auto-Patcher to the last version, there are still loop problems in:

1. DX_Media

2. HTMLHelp

3. kb937143

4. Servic9x

However, after the OLE update installed and rebooted, I got a system message saying that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEDLG.DLL was missing and an application could not start (typical MS message that does not actually tell you what the application is!!!).

Anyway, I did find an OLEDLG00.DLL file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

After checking the OLE update INF, I found this file referenced.

It looks like it's supposed to be deleted when it's finished.

So I deleted OLEDLG00.DLL, extracted the OLE update, and copied over OLEDLG.DLL...

There appears to be some issue with the latest OLE update install.

I have not gone through the INF in detail yet.

All I need now is version checking of user32.dll and user.exe (like you do for other updates) for update Q891711.

Then I could select everything to install without worry about Revolutions... :rolleyes:

Oh well, maybe one day...

Thanks for the feedback, i will investigate all this and get to the bottom of it before i release another version. Stay tuned for that one day...

Other two loops to verify:

4. kb918547

5. RootsUpd

Let me know. :hello:

PS: I suggest you to create an installer for Shdocfix, I've already create it without problems (for IE6SP1 version).

If you want I can send you it also if it's only for italian systems with IE6SP1.

I got a system message saying that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEDLG.DLL was missing and an application could not start
I too got that message after oleup.exe which I installed independently in the past - I noted this on another thread, I think it was one of MDGx's threads. In my case the 'application which could not start' was RoboForm Edited by celtish

@ soporific:

please keep updated your autosystem.ini:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...94034&st=40

with last changes of SYS_Inst.bat.

If you release an updated version of autosystem I can use that instead SYS_Inst.bat of Auto-Patcher that doesn't work on localized versions of Win98SE.

In Auto-Patcher infact appears '?' instead correct value of RAM detected in automatic.

Solve also this... and excuse me for disturbance.

Edited by Max_04

Microsoft Alert/ Warning/ Caution

6fua2ao.gif

Hello soporific, greetings to the Audience reading & watching, right now!

Congratulations go out to you + all those who're contributing to this great Project.

A great & handy Tool!

Unfortunately M$ (just recently) closed down AutoPatcher for XP, (How considerate of them!)

Those Folks helped many others out there (Just as you are doing!)

Is it possible, that those inconsiderate people at M$, may try to pull the Plug here too?

Ripple on)))~~~... & all the very best,

Sheep, was here...

Coming up, is the Link, you'll find out what M$ did...

Shocking, yet a selfish act from M$...

This, is a Recording...

Edited by Legosheep

After reading this entire thread, I downloaded and ran the August FULL Autopatcher on my 98SE computer. For the most part it worked beautifully, with a few minor exceptions:

Prior to Autopatcher I had never installed any browser other than Firefox, but I allowed it to install MS IE6 SP1 in order to fully patch my system. FireFox itself is still working fine, but other programs seem to have forgotten FireFox was my primary browser. Since running Autopatcher, whenever I click on links in Eudora and Thunderbird, they now open Internet Connection Wizard instead of opening FireFox. I assume MSIE must have taken over as my default browser when it was installed. Could someone remind me how to make FireFox my default again? Do I have to change settings in Eudora AND Thunderbird individually? Or is there a master setting somewhere that resets all other programs at once? Also, should I setup a connection for MSIE first, for windows update or other apps, even though my intent is to continue using FireFox as my primary browser?

Second, before running Autopatcher, I was using Rogsoft Notepad+ 1.11 as my Notepad replacement. I noticed you had an Unofficial Update for Windows Notepad in your Critical and Recommended System Updates Module, but as comments here implied you were checking files for version numbers, date stamps, sizes, etc, before applying your patches, I assumed Autopatcher would leave my replacement alone. To my horror, Autopatcher replaced my Notepad+ replacement with Windows Notepad!

I tried reinstalling Rogsoft Notepad+ 1.11 after Autopatcher finished. I followed the directions and recopied the original Notepad+ back over Windows Notepad. Now Notepad+ is reinstalled, but in files > 32KB the search function is broken. In larger files, after about 32KB of text, instead of finding the next match, it moves the cursor to the end of file, or to some random position. I also have Notepad+ installed on a system running 98FE, and on that computer searches in Notepad+ work correctly regardless of file length, the same as they did on this system before the Unofficial Notepad Update was installed. Can anyone tell me what else the Unofficial Notepad Update changes? Or how to make Notepad+ work correctly on files > 32KB on this system again?

In hindsight, I should have looked at your batch files first, and should have deleted the UNOTEPAD section in HFSYSTEM.BAT before running Autopatcher. Perhaps in the next version you could make that section OPTIONAL? Or put it in an OPTIONAL module? More important, we/I need to understand why it breaks functionality in Notepad+ after being installed, as it would not be an issue if all I had to do was reinstall Notepad+.

I also had looping problems and could not install the HTML Help or August 2007 RootsUpd, no matter how many times I ran Autopatcher. I've seen this mentioned in a few other posts, so I know both of these are items to be fixed in the next release.

Lastly, I noticed some strange leftovers after Autopatcher was done. There's a new folder named V4 on my C: drive whose only contents are a cab file and a text file, and a temp subfolder with another copy of the same cab file. Do these serve any purpose, or are they junk I can safely delete? I assume log files in C:\Windows\Temp can also be deleted. Am I correct on this? Also, prior to Autopatcher I already had Sun Java Runtime 1.5.0 Update 06 installed. Update 12 just created a new folder under C:\Program Files\Java, without removing Update 06 first. So now I have entries for both updates (06 and 12) in Add/Remove Programs. Can I just remove Update 06, without causing any harm to Update 12? Or should I remove both, and then run Autopatcher to put Update 12 in again?

Thanks again for creating Autopatcher, and for any help on the points described.

Prior to Autopatcher I had never installed any browser other than Firefox, but I allowed it to install MS IE6 SP1 in order to fully patch my system. FireFox itself is still working fine, but other programs seem to have forgotten FireFox was my primary browser. Since running Autopatcher, whenever I click on links in Eudora and Thunderbird, they now open Internet Connection Wizard instead of opening FireFox. I assume MSIE must have taken over as my default browser when it was installed. Could someone remind me how to make FireFox my default again? Do I have to change settings in Eudora AND Thunderbird individually? Or is there a master setting somewhere that resets all other programs at once? Also, should I setup a connection for MSIE first, for windows update or other apps, even though my intent is to continue using FireFox as my primary browser?

Open Firefox. On the Menubar at the top of the screen, go to "Tools > Options". Click on the "Main" tab. The Options Screen should then look something like this:

firefoxoptionswindowvp9.jpg

At the bottom of the screen, in the "System Defaults" section, there is a place which says "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup". Make sure that the box before this is checked in. There should also be a button to the right saying "Check now". Click on this button. You should then see a window allowing you to set Firefox as your default browser. If there is no "Check now" button, then restart Firefox and you will get the same window. Once you set Firefox as your default browser, most programs should work properly.

And, at least in my opinion, it's a good idea to have IE working as well. Believe it or not, there are still some web pages that won't work in Firefox. Some websites seem to have never heard of it. And some even still refer to "Netscape" instead!

Open Firefox. On the Menubar at the top of the screen, go to "Tools > Options". Click on the "Main" tab. At the bottom of the screen, in the "System Defaults" section, there is a place which says "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup". Make sure that the box before this is checked in. There should also be a button to the right saying "Check now". Click on this button. You should then see a window allowing you to set Firefox as your default browser. If there is no "Check now" button, then restart Firefox and you will get the same window. Once you set Firefox as your default browser, most programs should work properly.

That fixed the default browser issue! Thanks! :thumbup

The above procedure is incomplete; as soon as you start IE, it'll become default again and you'll wonder why. So here's what you should do before the above:

- Go to Control Panel > Internet Options

- Click the Programs tab

- Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check whether it is the default browser"

Only after that you may set Firefox as default browser and IE would never change that option again.

I've finally had time to try the latest AP for the first time since 1.95 PR2, and also to read all the posts since April. I downloaded and installed the August FULL archive and set up choices to be similar to my 1.95 PR2 choices.

Thanks for the System.ini tweaks info! This is what I wanted to see, although I just used the recommended automatic values based on my RAM config. The procedure seemed to go fine.

I still have trouble with my 'choices.sav' file disappearing periodically, but I've learned to back it up. (Every so often AP doesn't load any settings when I choose 'M', and I investigate and sure enough, 'choices.sav' has gone missing!)

I was a bit concerned about whether changes to AP or to some of the fixes would update correctly over 1.95 PR2, and a bit confused about the Win982ME changes, but in the end I thought I had it figured out and felt fairly confident. (I enabled both Q891711 and Explor98, sounds like that's what I should want.)

I also suffered the "OLEDLG.DLL is missing" problem, and found that OLEDLG00.DLL was already the same file in the update, though I can only see 'version 1.0' and I'm not sure where the 'real' version numbers are to be found. Anyway, I just renamed it and I think all is well.

Much more interesting is that two updates are reported as having been set to 'bypass' even though there's no option to do so! From my I_Result.Log:

14:53:27 ++ the Critical & Recommended System Updates module was started

--------------------------------------------------------------------

14:53:30 -- update installed: RootsUpd - Root Certificate Update August 2007 (13.0.2195.0)

14:53:33 -- update installed: TOOLS9X - Tihiy's Unofficial Improved Replacement Tools

14:53:36 -- update installed: OleLibUp - OLE Automation Libraries Update (OLEPRO32.DLL 5.0.4530.0)

14:53:39 -- set to by-pass -- 48BitLB2 - Unofficial Update for Drives over 137gb (for IBM portables)

14:53:39 -- set to by-pass -- NativUSB - Maximus Decim Native USB Drivers v3.1

14:53:40 -- set to by-pass -- 98KrnlUp - Unofficial Update for KRNL386.EXE (4.10.0.1999)

14:53:41 -- set to by-pass -- kb933360 - Unofficial 2007 Updates to Time Zone Daylight Saving Time Settings

14:53:43 .. the computer was set to reboot.

14:55:00 .. the computer finished rebooting and started Auto-Patcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm referring to 98KrnlUp and kb933360. I don't see any relevant options for this module. Running a report doesn't find them missing, but it doesn't report them installed, either. Should I install these manually? I haven't tried yet. If so, I'm not sure if I should use the INF files to install or just run the 98KrnlUp.exe and kb933360.exe.

Thanks again. I'm amazed and encouraged to see this updated with so much enthusiasm!

I tried reinstalling Rogsoft Notepad+ 1.11 after Autopatcher finished. I followed the directions and recopied the original Notepad+ back over Windows Notepad. Now Notepad+ is reinstalled, but in files > 32KB the search function is broken. In larger files, after about 32KB of text, instead of finding the next match, it moves the cursor to the end of file, or to some random position...

I just located this new info on Notepad+ here: http://www.mypeecee.org/rogsoft/problems.html

"On systems with the MS IntelliType and/or IntelliPoint software installed (which come with the MS Natural Keyboard and MS Mouse), text can not be added after switching word wrap mode. It's hard or even impossible for me to cure this problem, since it seems to have to do with a conflict with the Rich Edit control and the Intelli.. software. All the word wrap switching function does is call the Rich Edit control and tell it to switch word wrap mode. The actual implementation is done by the Rich Edit control itself. I have send a bug-report to MS, but haven't received an answer.

Also limited to some specific systems is a problem with the Find function. The problem seems to happen at least on systems with Microsoft Pointing Device Software v. 11.01 (pointer.exe) software installed. I've had reports that the Find function wouldn't highlight the string that is searched for, or that the Find function doesn't work beyond 32kB of text. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem (I've tested the Find function extensively on documents up to 600kB in size). Since I use the internal Find function of the Rich Edit control, the same answer applies here: I can't fix it since it's the Rich Edit control that does the actual searching. I only call the Find function of the control with the search string and the position to start as parameters, and the found position is returned."

Could this be the reason my Notepad+ stopped working? My Notepad+ was working correctly before I patched, and broken afterwards, and AFAIK, I have NONE of the hardware or software listed above as being known to cause this. Has anyone else seen this behavior appear in Notepad+ ONLY after fully patching 98SE? Is it known WHICH patch or update "breaks" Notepad+? Is there a patch I don't need that installs MS mouse/keyboard software, or which modifies this "Rich Edit" control the author of Notepad+ refers to? Is there any other solution (other than ditching Notepad+) that makes it work again? Maybe going on to install 98SE2ME? I can't think of any other utility that has provided more value to me than Notepad+. It really hurts to see it behaving so poorly now. It's like watching a good friend die, and knowing my action (patching 98se) may have caused it. :(