VOIP Recommendation

I am switching over to VOIP here in the next couple of weeks and have ruled out Vonage as they are not in my area (no local number).

I have checked into VOIP.NET and also Packet8.net

Both look to be of good quality and service. Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies, or any other recommendations?

I am in Oregon and have to have a local number (Ashland, Medford, Grants Pass, Central Point, Eagle Point -my home town :) - Phoenix, Talent, Merlin, Cave Junction, White City). Area code 541.

So far, voip.net gives me a Grants Pass number (Local, but am also going to use this number for business and don't want to confuse my customers), Packet 8 gives me Medford which is a heck of a lot closer.

Any help is much appreciated!

It really depends on what country you live in (not the same providers), what type of calling plan you need (they vary a lot), any special features you need (including protocol support - including IAX; voice quality and bandwidth used vary a LOT too)... Some will let you use your own ATA, while others won't or will force a ATA rental fee on you or such (not all ATA are created equal!) And tech support isn't the same for all of them either... Which can sometimes be required, because of some ISP's [illegal] actions, excessive latency, network problems, problems with your ATA (can also need to be reconfigured to do or be behind NAT, etc). Depending on your area, the providers available will vary a lot too (may be less of a problem in the USA though). The prices are one of the main things to check (price is the main reason for most to switch), but also look at activation and shipping fees - and cancellation fees (in case it sucks so bad you have to break your contract or such) - money back guarantee is a good thing to have (peace of mind)... Just in case the quality sucks, or their service goes down all the time or such. As you're in the USA, I can't really make recommendations myself, but there are lots of very big sites on VoIP, which also have reviews and comparisons - sites like VoIP-info and such, which have lots great of infos, including a cheapest ATAs and services topic. If you have a linux box (or want to make one, and have basic knowledge), then you can look into Asterix - there are even free services you can use with it (like Free World Dialup [FWD] for free international calls).

As for in Canada, Vonage was basically the most overpriced plan I found. The monopoly telco (Bell) had better rates, so did the cable company and everybody else... I looked at MANY MANY plans - lots of which looked really good but were only offered say, in Toronto - but there were still a good amount of good ones left. Being in a major city, I was covered by most providers (although Halifax wasn't when I lived there a few months ago), but I finally settled for iristel. 20$CAD unlimited calling 24/7 in my area code (base, long distance, ATA rental, all features, etc - ALL included in the price), and very low rates for people outside of it. I can call the family anytime for as long as I want for less than the local telco charges for basic phone service. Their codec support is one of the best (and their ATA uses the best too - and very low bandwidth), and they support IAX (for Asterix). I rate 'em 15 outta 10 ;)

Vonage doesn't have local numbers. :(

I am really looking at another company now and so far the best support option. BBTELSYS. I just spoke with one of the techs there and he was quite thorough in answering my questions. Upside, Local numbers!

Downside, the shipping time. 4-5days. Oh well, can't win them all. :)

Gave him my specs on router and broadband provider, and he seemed to think there would not be any problems. (even with my downloading of Linux ISO's) and other people in my house online in their pc's (up to 5 at a time connected chatting and surfing).

• 3 weeks later...

One major problem with Vonage anyway is that there is no anonymous caller rejection. How idiotic is that? So I've started to research alternatives. One provider, Lingo, is cheaper than Vonage and offers anonymous caller rejection. I don't know if they offer a local phone number assignment for your area, but you may want to check them out. Anyone here have experience with or have heard feedback about this provider?

just wondering, anonymous caller rejection is where if someone has a private/unlisted number, that their call will be automatically dropped? if so then why exactly would you want that? i know lots of ppl with private numbers, 2 family members included.

It's the deal where you have to dial *82 if you want to call someone who has ACR turned on. I had this with Verizon for so many years that all of my family either have it programmed into speed dial or they still dial it out of habit. It greatly cut down on the bs calls I got. Some businesses are able to bypass it due to the kind of phone systems they have, but when I had ACR and saw an anonymous call come in I knew it was worthless and just didn't answer.

I'm the kind of person who believes the phone should be used only for personal calls or business calls that you initiate. The only possible exception would be something along the lines of your doctor calling to confirm an appointment or the car dealership calling to tell you your car is ready. I just cannot stand it that people I do business with feel they can call me to try and sell me more stuff.

I found out about Lingo on the Vonage forums of all places. Vonage claims they can't provide the service and that they have no plans to provide it in the future. Fine then. I'll go with someone who is cheaper and does offer the service.

Here is another good resource.

I personally use SunRocket. The price is right, they have ACR, and they give you two local numbers in different locations....so you can have one for home, and then have another local number for, say, the city where your parents live so they can call you "locally."

Now if SR could just get over their occasional service outage problem...

I really haven't had any difficulties with Vonage that would require customer service. The phone number transfer process took a good four weeks, but other than that no problems. I'm just a bit annoyed that can't offer ACR when seemingly every other VoIP provider does.

@videobruce, not too far away.. in Amherst here :hello:

Comcast in our area is $40 a month.

I personally use SunRocket and since I got a new cable modem which doesn't overheat like my last one I have not had any problems with the service.

Or at least no more problems than we have at work with the VOIP provided by AT&T. The occasional echo or pop on the line. Though the popping may be due to the fact that my wife keeps dropping the phone and recently a child threw it across the room.