HELP: Win98SE won't boot on my new PC

I noticed that you said that the HDD is IDE, but you didn't say how big it is. That's a rather important detail that you omitted.

Phil

It's 120GB HD but I created a 2 GB partition for Windows 98SE (or was it 1GB?)

Okay, that seems reasonable. If there are any other problems with Win98SE and a 120 GB HDD, I'm sure someone will speak up. Also, exactly how did you create the partition for Windows 98 SE?

I had an idea a few days ago that might work for you (or it might not). It is based on the idea that the problem may be due to a conflict between different programs or components of the OS, so getting rid of any extra, unessential crap that gets installed with Win98SE may be helpful.

Here's a suggested plan of attack:

Download the demo of 98lite and copy it to a floppy disk or CD.

Boot from the Win98SE CD, select "Boot from CD-ROM," and then select "Start computer with CD-ROM support."

Format the partition-- Z:\win98\format C: (Substitute drive letter for CD-ROM for Z.)

Insert floppy disk and copy 98lite45.exe to HDD.

Run 98lite45.exe to install 98Lite.

Run 98Lite-- C:\98lite\98lite.exe

When it is time to install Windows, choose the "chubby" option. However, if you have a CD of Win95b, then I would choose the "sleek" option to begin with (you can always switch back to "chubby" later, if necessary).

Phil

Edited by pcalvert

Some other things to consider...

Did you install IE 6? If not, then try it. Then try reinstalling the drivers-- it might help with any drivers that have been giving you trouble. I'm not sure if IE 6 will install in Safe Mode, but go ahead and give it a try; you have nothing to lose.

Regarding 98lite, I should have added that some people prefer to install Windows first and then install 98lite later. For more on that, and other ideas about the best way to set up a Windows 98 SE system, be sure to study this message thread:

install order of win98 system

Good luck.

Phil

Some other things to consider...

Did you install IE 6? If not, then try it. Then try reinstalling the drivers-- it might help with any drivers that have been giving you trouble. I'm not sure if IE 6 will install in Safe Mode, but go ahead and give it a try; you have nothing to lose.

Regarding 98lite, I should have added that some people prefer to install Windows first and then install 98lite later. For more on that, and other ideas about the best way to set up a Windows 98 SE system, be sure to study this message thread:

install order of win98 system

Good luck.

Phil

What is 98lite? and how would that help? Does it have updated drivers? If so then that could help..... is it possible to boot/run 98lite of CD-ROM? I do not have a floppy disk drive....

What are you showing in device manager in safe mode? Is there any problem devices showing? If it is something like the sound card or other device that is not needed to get windows to boot disable it for latter install. Check your startup folder for any programs that is not needed for windows to boot. If it is a video card problem set it to vga mode and disable it in the device manager then see if it will boot to windows. You need to find out if it is a hardware problem or software.

What is 98lite? and how would that help? Does it have updated drivers? If so then that could help..... is it possible to boot/run 98lite of CD-ROM? I do not have a floppy disk drive....

98lite is a kind of removal/customization utility. See http://litepc.com/ for more info. Don't worry about it now, though, since it probably won't help. I would download IE6SP1 (the whole thing, not the net installer) and the unofficial service pack and burn them onto a CD using another computer. Then boot the problem PC into Safe Mode and try to install them.

Phil

98lite is a kind of removal/customization utility. See http://litepc.com/ for more info. Don't worry about it now, though, since it probably won't help. I would download IE6SP1 (the whole thing, not the net installer) and the unofficial service pack and burn them onto a CD using another computer. Then boot the problem PC into Safe Mode and try to install them.

Phil

Hmm, am confused by that order of installation thread.

does IE6SP1 contain the entire IE6 or just SP1 for IE6?

does IE6SP1 contain the entire IE6 or just SP1 for IE6?

Although it sounds confusing there was never just SP1 for IE6 alone, IE6.0SP1 is always full install and can be downloaded here: Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1.

This is active install, if you want to download all installation files to your computer, you can use the procedure described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257249

Petr

Edited by Petr

I just thought of something that could be important. In addition to installing IE6.0SP1 and the unofficial service pack, make sure that you also install the latest version of DirectX. Since it's mentioned in the order of installation thread, you probably already realized that you should get and install it as well. But in case you didn't...

Phil

I just thought of something that could be important. In addition to installing IE6.0SP1 and the unofficial service pack, make sure that you also install the latest version of DirectX. Since it's mentioned in the order of installation thread, you probably already realized that you should get and install it as well. But in case you didn't...

Phil

Assuming I can install DirectX in safe-mode......

Looking at the logs you provided, your PC seems to hang while initialising esdi_506.pdr. Try starting Windows from DOS prompt with each of these commands:

WIN /D:F

WIN /D:V

If none of these work, boot in safe mode, uninstall (or disable) all HDD Controller drivers and see if it boots in normal mode at least once.

Also you could try looking for a replacement IDE driver, but i doubt you'll find any suitable for your system.

Provide some more bootlogs for booting in normal mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at the logs you provided, your PC seems to hang while initialising esdi_506.pdr. Try starting Windows from DOS prompt with each of these commands:

WIN /D:F

WIN /D:V

If none of these work, boot in safe mode, uninstall (or disable) all HDD Controller drivers and see if it boots in normal mode at least once.

Also you could try looking for a replacement IDE driver, but i doubt you'll find any suitable for your system.

Provide some more bootlogs for booting in normal mode.

Heh, I tried both win /d:f and win /d:v and they fail to start. Then I tried safe-mode and disabled all my HDD controllers. Rebooted in normal mode. Got blue-screen of death, VFAT not detected? However I did get further into the setting up clock/date during the final parts of the installation. And I forgot to provide you with bootlogs...

Nevermind, am going to get a motherboard replacement with Intel 865 chipset (which is definitely going to compatible with W98SE. No, wait, am not really bothered with W98SE anymore, since am hoping to get hold of Sound Blaster 16 off eBay. That way I'll get sound in native DOS mode.. yay \o.