Enable48BitLBA | Break the 137Gb barrier!

If you have W 98 SE, than get the version 2225. ;)

Many thanks. I'm fairly new to this part of the Forum; hopefully these questions will be of use to others as well:

1. If I go from a small HDD to (say) a new 320GB HDD, will the full size be recognised by win98SE, assuming BIOS support only?

2. Assuming it isn't, and one then installs the patch, is the full size then recognised? Or, what happens?

3. Has this patch ben proven to be successful?

First, your harddrive should by PATA, as my SATA doesnt work properly with this patch as you can read above. :(

Than:

- create a partition on that drive (smaller than 137GB), using fdisk is ok

- install win98

- install drivers

- install LLXXs patch version 2225

- create as big partitions as you wish with some partitioning program, but try to keep them under 128GB (for safety)

BUT: test everything befory you copy your important data on that drive

The patch has been proven to be succesful at least on PATA drives.

First, your harddrive should by PATA, as my SATA doesnt work properly with this patch as you can read above. :(

Than:

- create a partition on that drive (smaller than 137GB), using fdisk is ok

- install win98

- install drivers

- install LLXXs patch version 2225

- create as big partitions as you wish with some partitioning program, but try to keep them under 128GB (for safety)

BUT: test everything befory you copy your important data on that drive

The patch has been proven to be succesful at least on PATA drives.

Thanks. reading through this long thread i notice an important contradiction:

Some say it's only the partition size that is an issue, others that that is incorrect; it's not the partition size but the total size of the HDD. Go beyond the 137GB boundary, and without the patch you'll have deeze problemos. Humm. Guess the latter is really the issue.

Many thanks for the info.

Edited by Analada

This patch applies to PATA (otherwise called IDE) drives only as it patches esdi_506.pdr.

This patch has NOTHING to do with SATA drives, nor with your issues consequently.

Edited by eidenk

SATA drives have special connectors. If you can plug them in your mobo it means that there are SATA drivers for your mobo somewhere normally.

Usually on the CD that comes with the motherboard. If you haven't got that you should visit your mobo's manufacturer website, download them and install them IMO.

At least that's how it works here. I have two 250GB SATA drives in my machine. They are using the Silicon Image Sil3112 SATARaid Controller. I found it on the the CD that came with my motherboard.

Unless I am missing something...

Seems I have been wrong when saying that esdi_506 and the patch had NOTHING to do with SATA and your problems.

Here is what I gathered going on MSI website :

SATA is under the control of the ICH5 chipset

On-Board IDE SATA

• Serial ATA/150 controller integrated in ICH5.

- Up to 150MB/sec transfer speeds.

- Can connect up to two Serial ATA drives.

http://asia.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prod...amp;prod_no=150

There drivers are apparently the Intel INF Drivers :

http://asia.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=down...amp;prod_no=150

They are only inf files (installation files) in the package, the drivers themselves being taken from windows.

The only file installed by ich5ide.inf is esdi_506.pdr.

So it certainly means it is this file who does access your SATA drive unlike on my own system.

Certainly on such a system a patch is needed to use safely drives of more than 137GB.

I wonder if the Intel Application Accelerator is not relevant to your system rather than LLXX's but I am not sure of that at all.

Have you installed those Intel inf drivers ?

Have you read the pdf manual and made sure you've set it all up as it should ? There are 15 references to SATA in it using the search in Acrobat Reader.

I wonder if the Intel Application Accelerator is not relevant to your system rather than LLXX's but I am not sure of that at all.

Look here. :( I have a 865PE chipset.

The Intel® Application Accelerator supports the following Intel® chipsets:

* Intel® 810 Chipset

* Intel® 810E Chipset

* Intel® 810E2 Chipset

* Intel® 810L Chipset

* Intel® 815 Chipset

* Intel® 815E Chipset

* Intel® 815EP Chipset

* Intel® 815G Chipset

* Intel® 815EG Chipset

* Intel® 815P Chipset

* Intel® 820 Chipset

* Intel® 820E Chipset

* Intel® 840 Chipset

* Intel® 845 Chipset

* Intel® 845E Chipset

* Intel® 845G Chipset

* Intel® 845GE Chipset

* Intel® 845GL Chipset

* Intel® 845GV Chipset

* Intel® 845PE Chipset

* Intel® 850 Chipset

* Intel® 850E Chipset

* Intel® 860 Chipset

Note: The Intel Application Accelerator is not compatible with the Intel® 875P, 865G/P/PE, 852/855 GM/GME, 855MP, 848P, 815EM chipset, the Intel® 440 chipset family, or any earlier Intel chipsets. The Intel Application Accelerator is also not compatible with any Intel® 900 series Express Chipset families.

Have you installed those Intel inf drivers ?

Of course, that is the first thing to install. ;)

Have you read the pdf manual and made sure you've set it all up as it should ? There are 15 references to SATA in it using the search in Acrobat Reader.

The BIOS is set up, as the manual says. ;)

@ eidenk : So what do you suggest? Should I buy a SATA PCI controller? That could help me and with the price around 15$ for such a controller it wont matter.

Maybe that's the best thing to do then.

Pitty that LLXX got herself banned really, as she could have certainly answered you better than me.

Whether there are or can be issues when esdi_506.pdr is made to handle SATA drives basically.