Prey

Sars!

Update: Ingame video, click here! (don't mind the stupid commentary at the end, it's just for fun...)

Hi all,

22th of June, Prey demo released. This is a really cool science fiction first person shooter. It uses a modded Doom 3 engine and looks mostely like quake 4! For screenshots you can scroll down.

Singleplayer

The demo, and so does the game, starts with an interactive intro where you get known of the keys and environment. You, Tommy, a cherokee indian who doesn't like the life in the indian reservation, wants to go out! There is only one problem, his girlfriend doesn't want to go with him. Suddenly there's an alien invasion and Tommy, his girlfriend and grandfather are in the alien mothership. You can have a nice look around, and see the most stunning graphics, not to think about the nice hysterical screaming of all the other people who have been kidnapped... Here is where the game really starts. You manage to steal a weapon and there it goes again... Just run, shoot, and find for the exit. But wait! This is not really Prey is it? HumanHead Studios and 3D Realms have spent a fortune on the story (+100000$)! This is not an ordinary shooter where you shoot and find the exit! There's really a story! After a while, the nice features start to come. You see a lightpath on the wall and guess what, you can walk on it! This sometimes gives chaotic situations, where you see an enemy on the floor and you are just hanging above him. Very nice gameplay. You kill some monsters, solve puzzles, learn new tricks,... Let's take the deathwalk. When you die, you go in somekind of spirit of yourself, with a cherokee bow, and need to kill flying creatures. When you killed enough of them, you just return into your present state, into your body. You can also become this spirit in spirit mode. You can then stealthly attack creatures with your bow, or go through energy fields, which you normally can't pass. We also find a half life 2 - ish fysics engine. Almost all objects are interactive!

Multiplayer

Imagine... You are playing online with your friends, and suddenly you see one of your friends above you. You start shooting at him but... WTF? He's in spirit mode! While in spirit mode, you are undestroyable, but your body you left somewhere is extra vulnerable. Also being in spirit mode, can only be used for a small time in multiplayer. You can replenish the time by picking up your death friends' souls. After playing a while on multiplayer, a server where ping was 30 and only 8 people are present, and your own ping of 21, you find enourmous lag. Overall, it's a very cool game, a must to have!

positive

Nice gameplay

Good Graphics

Many features

Good story

negative

Multiplayer isn't perfect

Sometimes too chaotic

Overall

Graphics: 8/10

Gameplay: 9/10

Story: 10/10

Multiplayer: 7/10

Total: 87/100

Screenshots

Ingame multiplayer movie

156123ss_sm2.jpg

prey-4.jpg

Grandfather%20in%20Cave.jpg

Information

Demo download

Official site

Greetz,

Sars! :w00t:

Edited by Sars!

I've been looking forward to this one, having seen some of the promo vids.

I'll be downloading the Demo tonight, to see if it is as good as it looks.

This game is 1337!

As far as I know the releasedate is 10th of july.. I'm SO gonna buy it!

Thought I'd throw in my two cents...

First is hardware requirements -- I'm on a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a T2300 processor (core duo 1.66), 2GB of DDR 667 ram, and an ATI x1300 hypermemory (64 onboard, ~192mb shared)

It's actually quite playable on this crappy old video card at 800x600 at all-high settings minus AA/AF. Or at 1024x768 with medium texture detail and all other settings the same as above.

Gameplay is fantastic. I love the part where you're looking at the little "brown ball" in the glass case and wondering what it is, and then teleporting right ONTO it like you're about an eigth of an inch tall! And you can still see the room outside the case when you're that big, so everything is freakin' huge! And then you can run around the ball as if it were a tiny planetoid, so you can actually be standing "upside down" even though you're "right side up" in relation to the surface of the ball.

Freaks your head out -- I love it! A definite must-buy in my opinion...

Demo not long enough!!! Wicked game with some nice touches E.G.

1) The gun. It bloody looked at me!! and that hand!! :blink:

2) The TV in the bar. Not only could you watch the film showing but see the reflection of the room. Nice

3) Walking on the roof...goes with out saying....Nice

4) Those portal things. Walk through to get to elswhere, but you can walk around them!!

5) Great story line, i began to actualy feel to the hero..poor guy

6) The way that machine kill those people...gross...great!!

PS I got as far as those people carring the jar things and the egg laying thing. The door was coveres by a pulsating membrain. Is this as far as the Demo went, or have i missed something?

:thumbup Gets my vote

no, there's more in the demo. best bit was the small asteroid bit where the monster looks at you once you're there, and Tommy says something to himself and the monster comes after you!. i thought it was a very surreal and humourous moment considering the game is pitched at being adult and full of gore.

i'd love to see how that mutant cyborg sub-plot pans out...the guy who helps you out and if there are any more like him who haven't been converted.

i felt very disorientated when you're on the ceiling looking over to the side to see some monsters who are shooting at you (the upturned Bar bit)

more, MORE...please chyronn can i have some more!!

Where do i go next then?

EDIT:

Found it...Put egg by door...blow up egg

What about those 2 kids fighting...gross

Edited by codeblue

• 3 weeks later...

Prey is pretty much just a twist between Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, with the addition of portals and gravity shifts. Terrific gameplay, no doubt. The Spirit Mode is very interesting. I do enjoy this game.