Win98 to Win98SE ?

I'm still using Win98, but want to upgrade to Win98SE. Can't find a download anywhere yet and can't even find a reliable cd. Anyone have a download to upgrade? I did hear there was one but can't find it. Please help? Thanks~

This is what I tell 98SE2ME users who don't have a WinME setup CD, and this is also valid for Win98 SE setup CD (quoted from READ1ST.TXT):

If you don't have Windows ME CD or CABs:

- borrow from a friend, coworker or family member

- or buy a new or used (cheaper) Upgrade, Step-Up (cheapest), Full or OEM English CD [shop around for best price 1st]:

- eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/Windows-Millennium

- Froogle Google:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Windows+Millennium

- PriceWatch:

http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?...dows+Millennium

- Street Price Watch:

http://www.mdgx.com/bench.htm#PRIC

Just replace the search terms in URLs above with:

Windows-98-Second-Edition

or

Windows+98+Second+Edition

Hope this helps.

@All

???

@ramchaza

i think what you mean are the small files that can patch win98FE core into win98SE core? i have heard about that too

search on www.computing.net with keyword "win98 core update" or try googling, but i don't guaranted you find what you want cause i heard it about 1 year ago

• 1 month later...
@All

???

@ramchaza

i think what you mean are the small files that can patch win98FE core into win98SE core? i have heard about that too

search on www.computing.net with keyword "win98 core update" or try googling, but i don't guaranted you find what you want cause i heard it about 1 year ago

and the so-called "Win98 core update" that updates 98fe to 98se may not be reliable and can cause even more problems to Win98. Better to do a FULL upgrade from Win98FE to Win98SE by purchasing the Win98se CD if you can find one online OR find some sites that have the actual W98se setup files and download them from there since MS had retired support for Win98se

Microsoft has published a list of resellers and companies who distributed illegal or counterfeit copies of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 at these pages:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/alerts.mspx

AVOID doing business with these people! Look for other vendors who sell those "good" copies of Windows XP instead.

Windows 98 SE, on the other hand, is another story

-erpdude

Edited by erpdude8

Yeah, even sealed retail box versions are still around. Some on web stores, others on ebay. They've been going up in price lately after being available at about half the normal price for quite some time. Now they're almost nearing full retail price again.

Soon to disappear, I'd think.

Yeah, even sealed retail box versions are still around. Some on web stores, others on ebay. They've been going up in price lately after being available at about half the normal price for quite some time. Now they're almost nearing full retail price again.

Soon to disappear, I'd think.

well, we all should hope the retail boxed versions of 98se are legit. dont want anybody using a fake copy of win98se.

well, we all should hope the retail boxed versions of 98se are legit. dont want anybody using a fake copy of win98se.
I actually have a bootleg of Windows 95B!

Back in the days when having burners was mostly an expensive dream, and no one really expected to pay for pressed CDs [now you can do about 1000 for under $1000 totally packaged, printed artwork and printed media and printed jewel case inserts, plastic jewel case, shrink-wrapped.], someone actually made a close counterfit to MS:

1) It was a pressed CD, but the silvery print on the top was slightly reduced in size compared to a real one.

2) The volue name on the pressed CD is TEST.

I don't know where the guy got the disk, but it was used to install his system [which was flakey for likely many other reasons!]

cjl

• 3 months later...
nope. you'll have to search for one at Google or Yahoo. we're not allowed to bookmark any sites in this forum that have the win98se download. sorry.

all right, for people who are really desperate of getting the Win98 SE setup files and can't buy the Win98se CD online (and since Win98se is no longer supported by MS effective July 11, 2006), email me or send me a PM message and I will give you a list of sites of where you can download the actual setup files for Win98se. I won't mention the sites on this forum.

I think LLXX and Eck made good points that 98se CDs are no longer being sold.

Edited by erpdude8

So is posting Google queries allowed? If not, mod please remove. Otherwise...

win98se.zip -driver + "Index of"

try searching for one of Win98se's setup CAB files at Google or Yahoo [ex. WIN98_23.CAB, or PRECOPY1.CAB]

nope. you'll have to search for one at Google or Yahoo. we're not allowed to bookmark any sites in this forum that have the win98se download. sorry.

all right, for people who are really desperate of getting the Win98 SE setup files and can't buy the Win98se CD online (and since Win98se is no longer supported by MS effective July 11, 2006), email me or send me a PM message and I will give you a list of sites of where you can download the actual setup files for Win98se. I won't mention the sites on this forum.

I think LLXX and Eck made good points that 98se CDs are no longer being sold.

What game are you playing dude ? You should be banned from this forum for saying stuff like that.