Building The Ultimate Vista PC

vegettoxp

Hey Guys

I started to plan out the blueprint for my Windows Vista Ultimate PC. Since Vista won't come out untill 07, that gives me time to build a 64bit System. I am doing my research on hardware and I would really welcome your guys opinions on what hardware is Vista Ready.

This is what I have in my mind so far as of Hardware:

Intel Conroe Desktop Platform

Intel Desktop Motherboard

Intel Processor

Chipset - Unknown

Ram - 3-4GB (Maybe even more)

Graphic Card - nVidia (Not sure which one. I am not a hardcore gamer)

Sound Card - CreativeLabs X-Fi

Hard Drives: WD Raptor 74 or 150GB 10,000rpm YA BABY) Total HD's = 1TB (Maybe more)

AND SO ON. So if anybody got any suggestions, I am listen to all you guys!

THX! :lol:

Wow 1TB of space made up of Raptors? If you put that config in RAID0, your hard drives would almost be as fast as RAM ;). Three suggestions, most of which assumes you got a lot of money to burn. One is that you'll need some serious case cooling if you're planning to house that many Raptors. I suggest getting a Vantec hard drive cross-blower for each one. Secondly, I'd get 4GB of DDR2-1000 RAM made by OCZ, assuming again that you have the money to burn and want the ultimate system. And lastly, if you're getting an X-Fi, consider getting one of the top models that has XRAM, because most future audio applications and games will most likely take advantage of it.

So with all this powerful hardware, what exactly do you plan to do with the system? I would hope you have bigger aspirations than just word processing :).

personally i dont think u should be even considering the conroe right now, its not even available yet and by the time Vista ( Eventually ) comes out intel will have made something faster anyway, and AMD will be releasing there new 65nm processors which are gauranteed to blow the intel ones away, especially if they can get the support for DDR2 DDR3 ram modules.

Hey Aegis, I am not gona have all the HD in Raptor. Just the Main Drive is gona be Raptor. Second, I am building this system for Vista and I use compute for Hardcore Photoshop, Video Editing and DVD Production (Anime). LAst but not least, I am not RICH man. I am saveing Money, so buy the time I start getting my hardware, I will have enough money.

Regarding the computer case, I have a X-Blande right now. Should I get a new one or just stick with the one I have. If yonew one, give me some recommends. Thx!

Hey ScubaSteve, Intel Plans to release Intel Conroe Desktop Platform close to the end of 06 or maybe the beginning of 07. So there is nothing wrong and plus I don't plan to start building the system untill Oct or Nov, which gives me a lot of time to look around.

I am not building an AMD system, I only work with INTEL!

If you're not really doing any audio work, then I'd cut out the X-Fi, since it's just a waste of money then. I would try to get as much RAM as possible, to reduce your reliance on the page file, maybe even take out the page file altogether. Install all of your processor-intensive programs on the Raptors, and put all of your movies/data files on the slower hard drive. If you need absolute performance for your applications, then you should consider getting two cheap Conroes and a server motherboard that supports dual processors (not dual core), instead of one powerful Conroe. Forgot where I saw this, but with the Opterons, the speed boost is amazing.

AMD will be releasing there new 65nm processors which are gauranteed to blow the intel ones away

Bold statement considering neither are out yet.

Taking into account the benchmarks I've seen so far, Conroe will definitely be able to hold it's own. I don't put much stock in synthetic benchmarks, but those are some pretty incredible gains.

Graphic Card - nVidia (Not sure which one. I am not a hardcore gamer)

Hardcore or not, but you need a card that handles SM 2.0 and better ;)

It's not even the shader model support that matters. It's gotta be able to handle all of DX10...which, of course, isn't even out yet (won't be until Vista since it isn't be released for XP).

As for the Raptor drive...go with the 150GB. It uses denser platters and has double the cache so it'll be faster.

Man Aegis, you are really helpful man. Thx a lot dude. I really dont' want to do that 2 CPU on Motherboard thing. I wanna keep ot simple. Regarding the Sound Card X-Fi, I do work with Music too. I create my own mixes. I am not a Pro DJ, but I like to have fun with Software of Creating and Mixing Music. I do plan to have a lot of Ram atleast 4GB and maybe up

puntoMX, I do wanna a good graphic card that will support Vista 100%, cause I wanna have all the Features of Vista work with my system no problem.

Thc to all of you guys!

dont buy anything!! vista wont come out for a year, so there is plenty of time for new technologies to come out and for prices to drop. i would wait to see what the amd AM2 socket performs like, and then make your decision.

well as i was told long ago when i was planning my computer, dont look now. as i said before their will be new technologies, you have 6 months until u will even be thinking about this again, so maybe in semptember/october u can look again.

It's not even the shader model support that matters. It's gotta be able to handle all of DX10...which, of course, isn't even out yet (won't be until Vista since it isn't be released for XP).

DirectX 10 support with drivers/software not only hardware (I read it like you say it´s only hardware ;)), if you think about it; You need a 400 US$ and up video card to run Vista, who the F*CK would use Vista, only the people who spend to much money, use it professional or play games like a hardcore gamer (don’t forget the show-offs). M$ does crazy stuff, but they still thin commercial. :P

Edited by puntoMX

I am in full agreement with PuntoMX. The only people who will run Vista are the ones with the "must have the latest!" mentality, rich people and the greasy-haired freckle-faced going to be a virgin at 40 techno weenies. A lot of people still use Windows 98 for pete's sake! The tech shop i work at, I'd say it's a 6 (XP) : 4 (98/ME) ratio. Even if you have a Dual Core or Quad core or whatever, nothing is coded to take advantage of that right now. So the people pay huge dollars so they can feel good and show off their specs, but they're getting almost nothing out of it. Hell, today we tested a single cored VS a dual cored in 3DMark '03 and the CPU test itself was 2FPS instead of 1FPS. Whoopie.

With DX10 and Nvidia just recently admitting how much of a screw-up the 7800 GTXs were, I mean, spend $1000 or $2000, but it's only going to benefit your ego, nothing more. Wait until prices go down. Think about it.

As for RAM, if I am not mistaken, the kernel in XP is designed to manage 2 GBs of memory. Anymore doesn't give you any increase. And you say you're not a hardcore gamer, so why have 4 GBs? Vista... yeah, minimum of 1 GB. **** bloat. Wait until nLite and the others get cracking on that.

Also, remember ATI and Nvidia are rivals. ATI is currently catching up with Nvidia in regards to the AA + HDR. Some guy recently made a patch for the current drivers which he claims he actually managed to get AA and HDR to work together and stable, too. Nvidia I think is going to include that with the next driver release and hire him on. Their last driver was specially for Oblivion. hehe.

Sound card, 24-bit and positional audio. Sound Blaster of course.

1TB of Raptors, again is it just to compensate for small penis size or what? :P

Edited by Jeremy

1TB of Raptors, again is it just to compensate for small penis size or what? :P

Then I need just a 40GB drive :P LOL.

Just...., I know you hate bloated software. And yes, that AMD contra iNTEL, nVidia contra ATi makes me sick too. You get what you pay for, plain and simple in the computer marked when it comes to hardware. ALL players know what to ask for there products... :hello:

Edited by puntoMX