How to change Win98SE system files's date attributes?

Ok! So I've installed, customized and tuned up my system (98 SE SP 1.1 + 98SE2ME + Maximum-Decim USB drivers + others) but only now I noticed that a lot of my OS files show 2017 or 2031 modified and created dates!

After setting straight the system clock I'm now faced with the choice of either date stamping the affected files or starting all over :wacko:

I DLd and tried various date stamping utils for Windows that fail to correct the problem. I think they're stopped by Windows system file protection mechanisms.

DOS could possibly be the solution but, although I did find a TOUCH.EXE

1- I'm not sure if it is compatible with windows files (32b, LFN & all that)

2- I don't know/remember how to feed it the list of files/folders to change.

3- In fact I don't know how to generate that list(s) (no search by date on DOS).

Any help most appreciated.

Edited by KamyKaze

Well I don't know, does it?

I cannot test it because the publisher's site no longer lists it.

If you think you know an app that works please test stamp some system folder like History or Nethood.

Thanks for the reply anyway :)

No, file date stamps are "easy", folders are NOT.

The only FREEWARE I found capable of doing so is this one:

http://webplaza.pt.lu/~rpetges/support.html

but I don't know whether it works in Win98...

and this one (but folder are ONLY done under Win2K/XP):

http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/

but since it will be a one-time-only use, you could "try" this one:

http://www.attributemagic.com/attributemagic_standard.html

jaclaz

jaclaz

I've just tried it on ME. It doesn't do timestamp on folders apparently. That area of the app is entirely disabled.

It is still superior to the one I posted as you can change folder attributes.

From the F.A.Q of that Petges freeware:

Why are date/time options for folders grayed on Windows 9x and Me ?

Setting date/time on folders requires a directory handle, but there is no way to get this information from the Win32 API on the Windows 9x platform. This information can only be obtained on Windows NT/2000 and XP systems.

Also I've tried Attribute Magic without sucess but with more informative messages. For folders it's still "Acess denied" (probably for the reason above) but for files it cannot change it informs that they're "being used by running processes".

So I feel I'm trying to move the car by pushing while I'm in it. Maybe I can push it if I get out. To DOS that is.

Problem is while there are tens of this utils for windows they are prety rare and undocumented for DOS :(

For the purpose of changing folder/directory attributes, the DOS mode ATTRIB.EXE works just fine in any version of Windows.

Moreover, Windows will not complain [in most cases] that it has folders in use, only files in use.

Therefore one can change most folder attributes from a DOS box [example]:

attrib c:\progra~1 -r +a

attrib %windir%\fonts -h -r -s

attrib %windir%\inf -h

attrib %windir%\sysbckup -h

Note that in order to change a folder atrributes using attrib.exe you must type the folder name not followed by any backslash nor file name(s) nor "wild" cards.

The only annoyance is that you can't change subfolders attributes the same way you do with files, unfortunately the /S switch doesn't work with subdirectories.

Also, you can't use wild cards to change attributes of multiple folders, you must specify exact LFN [surrounded by quotation marks in a DOS box] or SFN folder name [in native MS-DOS mode].

In the rare cases when Windows pops up a nag dialog like "this folder... is is use", you need to exit/reboot Windows 9x/ME to native/pure MS-DOS mode, and then run attrib from there.

If running an NTx OS, just dual-boot to Win9x/ME or with the "recovery console" option from the boot menu:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip21.htm#WRC

The only system folder you do *not* want to change attributes is %windir%\Downloaded Program Files [short name: %windir%\DOWNLO~1]. This folder *must* have the System (S) attribute for Windows to recognize its files as properly installed ActiveX [OCX] +/- OSD controls. And this is valid for all 9x + NTx OSes.

To view this folder's contents:

create a new folder on your Desktop with this name:

ActiveX Controls Folder.{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}

You can change/add/delete any characters before the dot [.], to match the name you want.

Must not change any characters after the dot.

Then to change its attributes, run:

attrib -s %windir%\DOWNLO~1

Press F5 to refresh the Desktop.

Then open the new folder [see above] on your Desktop.

You'll notice all "Installed" strings under the Status column are gone.

Now restore its attributes:

attrib +s %windir%\DOWNLO~1

Press F5.

You'll notice that all "Installed" strings are back. ;)

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
For the purpose of changing folder/directory attributes, the DOS mode ATTRIB.EXE works just fine in any version of Windows.

Moreover, Windows will not complain [in most cases] that it has folders in use, only files in use.

Therefore one can change most folder attributes from a DOS box [example]:

attrib c:\progra~1 -r +a

attrib %windir%\fonts -h -r -s

attrib %windir%\inf -h

attrib %windir%\sysbckup -h

Note that in order to change a folder atrributes using attrib.exe you must type the folder name not followed by any backslash nor file name(s) nor "wild" cards.

The only annoyance is that you can't change subfolders attributes the same way you do with files, unfortunately the /S switch doesn't work with subdirectories.

Also, you can't use wild cards to change attributes of multiple folders, you must specify exact LFN [surrounded by quotation marks in a DOS box] or SFN folder name [in native MS-DOS mode].

You can also change the folder attributes within the File Manager [winfile.exe] applet. Just be sure to set File Manager to view Hidden & System files/folders.

Attribute Changer does work on all 9x and NT-based versions of Windows. it's too bad the author did not list the full Windows requirements for that program on his web site. I'll make that suggestion to post that up on his site.

• 1 month later...
Attribute Changer does work on all 9x and NT-based versions of Windows. it's too bad the author did not list the full Windows requirements for that program on his web site. I'll make that suggestion to post that up on his site.

oops. not so. Attribute Changer (latest versions) does NOT work under windows 95. the "Change Attributes" menu command does not show up when right-clicking on a file, folder or drive as I had tested myself (whether IE Desktop Update is installed or not). Change Attributes option will appear in win98/me/2000/nt4/xp but not win95.

I didnt realize this but Zabkat's xplorer2 lite/pro tool (a Windows Explorer replacement) has the option to change attributes, including Created and Modified dates. xplorer2 lite or professional edition can be downloaded here:

http://www.zabkat.com/alldown.htm

Edited by erpdude8

oops. not so. Attribute Changer (latest versions) does NOT work under windows 95. the "Change Attributes" menu command does not show up when right-clicking on a file, folder or drive as I had tested myself (whether IE Desktop Update is installed or not). Change Attributes option will appear in win98/me/2000/nt4/xp but not win95.

only the 5.x versions (currently the author of Attribute Changer has version 5.21 and 5.23 posted at his site) are not Win95 compatible. I have done searches of older versions of Attribute Changer and found these old ones that can work under Win95.

Attribute Changer 4.20:

(this one should work under Win95 BUT requires IE 4.x/5.x installed since AC 4.20's Help file is a CHM file and CHM files can only be viewed in HTML Help applet but HTML Help requires IE). Go here first:

http://www.jconline.cn/sq/rjxz/list.asp?id=4212

then click on the download link from there. If that does not work try this link:

ftp://guest:guest@ftp.jconline.cn/softnt/ac.exe

Attribute Changer 4.0a:

http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/w.../fileutl/ac.exe

This one also requires IE 4.x/5.x and HTML Help to view the CHM file but should also work under Win95.

Attribute Changer 3.0a:

ftp://ftp.hs-niederrhein.de/pub/win9x/dmanager/attrchng.exe

this one should work under Win95 with or without IE and uses older help file [HLP].

Edited by erpdude8