HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Maybe this is not right place to ask but sorry from now :D

*i speak about not public hotfixes*

Every hotfix does not contain only one file. I have seen some hotfixes mixed each other.

Bigger KB can include a lower version number file. But other files are newer version.

And another hotfix may include newer files then bigger KB hotfix.

Crossed each other. :/

I would like to know can HFSLIP can choose newer file to slipstream or not? Automaticly i hope.

Hi Eyren. The COPY and XCOPY commands in the command prompt have a switch that allows you to only copy over files that have a newer modification date. HFSLIP incorporates this directly into the script, so you don't have to worry that files from hotfixes with higher KB numbers are overwriting newer versions from hotfixes with lower KB numbers. In cases where the file dates are messed up and we actually need a binary that was modified earlier, the necessary commands are hardcoded.

Just i want to say.

For example.

KB33333 includes

a.dll ver: 3.5.5555

b.dll ver: 3.5.5555

c.dll ver: 3.5.5555

d.dll ver: 3.5.5555

KB44444 includes

a.dll ver: 3.4.444

b.dll ver: 3.6.666

f.dll ver: 3.6.666

g.dll ver: 3.6.666

soo.

after slipstream i have a.dll ver 3.4.444 in setup folder.

but older hotfix includes never a.dll and it overwritten by never hotfix but older file.

Edited by eryen

HFSLIP checks the time the file was created (just see for yourself which date Windows is showing) and slipstreams the newest. HFSLIP can't check the version number.

If a.dll version 3.4.444 was created more recently than 3.5.5555 (which happens from time to time), 3.4.444 will be slipstreamed by mistake. Special exceptions already exist in HFSLIP but they only cover specific situations.

This will work:

a.dll version 3.5.5555 created on 12-January-2007

a.dll version 3.4.444 created on 1-January-2007

This works because 3.5.5555 has a newer date.

This will fail:

a.dll version 3.5.5555 created on 12-January-2007

a.dll version 3.4.444 created on 15-January-2007

This fails because 3.5.5555 has an older date.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little problem with the new version. My host system now is Windows XP x64. When the script reaches the point in which DX9 is beeing processed, the install screen of DirectX shows up, I click cancel, but nothing is slipstreamed to the XP 32 source.

Any fix for that?

After a full slipstream with newest hfslip, i decided to use a directx web setup to verify if it´s allright.

This setup wants to download SDKs updates....at least 6.1mb.

Is there a way to slipstream it too?

I´m using win2k3

Edited by geese howard

My host system now is Windows XP x64. When the script reaches the point in which DX9 is beeing processed, the install screen of DirectX shows up, I click cancel, but nothing is slipstreamed to the XP 32 source.
Are you sure you aren't confusing the extraction dialog box with the installation dialog box? If the DX9 executable would actually start installation, you should've observed the same problem with Type 2 hotfixes as HFSLIP uses the switches for Type 2 hotfixes to extract the redist too.

What is the name of the executable and how big is it?

After a full slipstream with newest hfslip, i decided to use a directx web setup to verify if it´s allright.

This setup wants to download SDKs updates....at least 6.1mb.

Is there a way to slipstream it too?

I´m using win2k3

Which are the SDK updates? I compared the versions of each file to see which DX9 binaries for 2K3 are newer/needed for 2K3SP1/SP2 in the revised code in these test releases.
Is the a way to disable / uninstall internet enhanced security with hfslip?
HFSLIP doesn't do it, but I'd like to know that for myself. Just never had the time.

ieframe.dll problem while trying to access "some" websites including windows update.

Hi,

I have a problem while trying to access websites using a Chinese XP system slipstreamed with IE7 using 1.7.1 rc2. (It was ok with 1.7.0)

have attached a screenshot and hfslip.log

thanks.

btw, I have created a silent installer .NET framework 3.5 using winrar and .NET 1.1 installer using SNM. (both runs prefectly on a normal xp)

I put DNF11.exe into the HFSVCPACK and I put net35.exe into the HFGUIRUNONCE. I cannot check if the .NET1.1 has been installed or not. however, I am pretty sure the net35.exe haven't been installed since I dont see any screen popup after I login into the system. Do I need to put anything else into those folders to make those run? or I just need to put the exe in ?

Thanks in advance

ieError.zip

HFSLIP hasn't changed the handling of ieframe.dll when it's slipstreamed into the source. The current test release does something special with that file, but only if the GUILOGON method is used (only then, because I haven't observed any issues myself with ieframe.dll when slipstreamed, or with the SVCPACK method).

This is beginning to smell like a serious issue with the newest cumulative update. Can you please do me a favor and retest with HFSLIP 1.7.0? Don't reuse the source that HFSLIP 1.7.0 made in the past; let HFSLIP 1.7.0 make a new source again, using your current list of hotfixes.

If you used SNM to create a silent installer for .NET 1.1 you should see two entries in Administrative Tools. If they aren't there, installation has failed.

I can't speak for .NET 3.5 yet because I haven't been able to try it thus far. Check the RunOnce key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for anything suspicious.

Just as I thought.

I will do some tests in my VM to see if I can somehow duplicate the problem when slipstreaming IE7. I could come up with a few test releases but that's taking things too far; I don't like to work in the dark.

Can you tell me if everything is fine if you set IE7GUILOGON=1 in HFANSWER.INI? It's not so important, but it would help knowing whether it's the same problem or not.

Thanks for the help :)

@ctpooon--

Sorry, but I couldn't duplicate it yet. Everything is fine with WinXP Dutch. I will check the binaries of the CHT IE7 package and cumulative hotfix next.

@geese howard--

That wizard shows "DirectX Runtime Optional Components" so I suspect it's installing the Managed DirectX stuff which HFSLIP doesn't support. See if you get an extra folder named "DirectX for Managed Code" (the name can be slightly different) in your %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET folder after installation has completed.