Silence of the foxes updated

LaptoniC

@Inferi0r

Thank you for your reply, mate :) I looked at your batch file, but decided to use my own solution instead, but thank's anyway and please feel free to use my solution in your project if you'd like. Btw, you can ditch 'hidcon.exe' and just use 'RunProgram=hidcon:install.cmd' instead. Also, the '-setDefaultBrowser' switch is ignored by the installer and only has effect with 'firefox.exe'.

About the extensions installing problem, then i did some testing and found out that the problem occuring when installing multiple extensions where indeed caused by the lack of a pause in between the installations for each extension. I personally fixed this issue with the following command-line :

for %%g in (extensions\*.xpi) do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%%g" & ping -n 1 -w 4000 1.1.1.1

I now install Firefox with a 7z switchless installer which runs the following batch file :

start /wait setup\setup.exe /S
move override.ini "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\"
move /y profile\*.* "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\"
move plugins\*.* "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"
for %%g in (extensions\*.xpi) do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%%g" & ping -n 1 -w 4000 1.1.1.1
"%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -setDefaultBrowser -silent

The 7z switchless installer consists off the following folder/file structure :

• setup\ ; Extracted Firefox installer without the optional folder.
  • profile\ ; prefs.js, mimetypes.rdf, localstore.rdf and bookmarks.html.
  • extensions\ ; I personally just need : 'IE Tab' and 'Download Statusbar'.
  • plugins\ ; Flash Player.
  • setup.cmd ; Batch file listed above in codetags.
  • override.ini ; Used to override the Profile Migrator upon first startup.

I personally feel that this system is very easy and convinient to maintain. When there comes an updated Firefox version, then i just extract the 7z switchless installer and replace the 'system\' folder with the extracted new version and likewise i can update extensions and plugins by simply overwritting the old ones in the 'extensions\' or 'plugins\' folder, or simply add new extensions or plugins into there, and i never have to change the batch file or anything. I also have made a batch file which i very frequently use, which whenever i drop a folder onto it, then it will make a 7z switchless installer of the content inside the dropped folder and also with the name of the dropped folder and it will be set to run 'setup.cmd' silently. This comes in very handy, since i always makes 7z switchless installers with pre-defined settings of all my applications :)

Tomorrow, then i will make a comparabel Thunderbird 7z switchless installer also :)

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

Hi Firefox users,

I've got just what you've been looking for. How to create a custom Firefox v2.x silent installer using SOF. I assume that you know how to use SOF. So lets get started.

***Preparation***

If you havent already done so, install firefox with all themes, extensions and plugins you require

Make your changes in Tools>Options, remembering to press ok on the MAIN tab as the tab you close on will be memorised

1. Extract or install SOF to a new folder, call it SOF

2. Delete the four folders in "\SOF\Project\Firefox" as they will not be needed

3. Run SOF

4. Select New Project (Select Open Project and jump to step 7 if you have ran through this process before and are updating your silent installer)

5. Unpack Firefox installer with SOF

6. Delete the optional folder, keep it if you need the inspector and talkback extensions

***Add your files***

7. Click the button for Main Files to open "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

8. Copy contents of Plugins and Components to the same folders in "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized"

9. Copy contents of Searchplugins to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\localized\searchplugins" if you have any others than the default ones

10. Click the button for Profile Files to open your profile folder

11. Copy bookmarks.html, localstore.rdf, mimeTypes.rdf, prefs.js to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\localized\defaults\profile"

***Optional files to add***

12. Copy key3.db and signons2.txt if you want to keep your passwords remembered. IMPORTANT: Dont copy if you are distributing this silent installer as it contains passwords to websites you have joined

13. Copy cookies.txt if you want to keep website settings

14. If you use Adblockplus, copy the adblockplus folder and patterns.ini inside it, the backups are not needed

***Add your extensions and themes***

15. Go back to the profile folder window, the extensions folder in here contains all the updated extensions, copy all the contents of the extensions folder to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized\extensions" if there are any

16. Go back to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" window and copy all the contents of the extensions folder to "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized\extensions" but dont overwrite the contents of the previous step

***Disable profile migrator***

17. Create a new text document in "\SOF\Project\Firefox\nonlocalized" and name it override.ini, open it and copy and paste the following into it and then save it:

[XRE]

EnableProfileMigrator=false

***Make your silent installer***

18. Press Pack in SOF and wait till the process log turns yellow, you should then have a sfirefox.exe in your SOF folder

***Make Firefox your default browser***

19. Add the following line to your cleanup.cmd for unattended install

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent -setDefaultBrowser

Or add the following line to firefox's shortcut target

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -setDefaultBrowser

Or enter into command prompt for the test

***Test your silent installer***

20. Uninstall firefox, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in Program Files and the "Mozilla" folder in "C:\Documents and Settings\Family\Application Data", Run sfirefox.exe

Thats it. I hope its clearly explained. I might automate the process with autoit as it gets tedious after you've done this a few times, especially if you like to be up to date and do a lot of unattended installs. Thunderbird is done the same way, i will create a tutorial for that too soon. I have been using this method since version 2 came out. Sorry I didnt do this earlier, i would have saved you's guys all that work. Enjoy ;-)

I have done with my Firefox 2.0.0.5 Silent with this Thread.

All of My Extension, Plugins and Theme Work Great without any more config.

Thanks Man :thumbup

New update!

Most important new option is the 'All-In-One' batch. This batch will help you with making your Silence of the Foxes: step by step. It is doing most things, you have almost only to say Yes and No. Garanted the most easy way! Keep in mind, that it's still BETA. For the other changes: read the changelog

I can't support you for two weeks. I'm going in a couple of hours on vacaction with friends from Holland to Swiss. No good internet connections there :P

@ Martin H: thanks man. Waiting for your Thunderbird support. But then i'm on vacantion as you can read above. See you and all others then.

Edited by Inferi0r

New update!

Most important new option is the 'All-In-One' batch. This batch will help you with making your Silence of the Foxes: step by step. It is doing most things, you have almost only to say Yes and No. Garanted the most easy way! Keep in mind, that it's still BETA. For the other changes: read the changelog

I can't support you for two weeks. I'm going in a couple of hours on vacaction with friends from Holland to Swiss. No good internet connections there :P

@ Martin H: thanks man. Waiting for your Thunderbird support. But then i'm on vacantion as you can read above. See you and all others then.

You da man Arco (Inferior)!

keep it up

Thunderbird v2.0.0.5 :

I have previously in another thread posted the reg entries needed for setting Thunderbird as the default email client some time ago, but those entries has changed a little now in v2.0.0.5 :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7}]
@="Mozilla MAPI"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@="MozillaMapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7}\LocalServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe /MAPIStartUp"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe\" -osint -compose \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.eml]
@="ThunderbirdEML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\properties]
@="Thunderbird &Options"

Batch file for the 7z switchless installer :

start /wait setup\setup.exe /S
move override.ini "%programfiles%\Mozilla Thunderbird\"
move /y profile\*.* "%programfiles%\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile\"
for %%g in (extensions\*.xpi) do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -install-global-extension "%%g" & ping -n 1 -w 4000 1.1.1.1
regedit /s thunderbird.reg

Note: For ppl using the WebMail extension, then when that extension is normally installed, then it will make a folder called 'WebmailData' in Thunderbird's profile folder and place three files there. The only needed file is 'domains.db3', as the other two are just regenerated automatically, so copy 'domains.db3' and add it to your 7z switchless installer and then also add the following line to the batchfile :

for /f %%g in ('dir /b /a:d "%appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\"') do xcopy domains.db3 "%appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\%%g\WebmailData\"

override.ini :

[XRE]
EnableProfileMigrator=false

File/folder structure :

setup\ ;Extracted Thunderbird installer without the optional folder.

profile\ ; signons.txt, key3.db, prefs.js, localstore.rdf, mimeTypes.rdf.

extensions\ ; *.xpi

setup.cmd

override.ini

thunderbird.reg

[domains.db3] ;Only if using the WebMail extension.

Edited by Martin H

Since the 'AppData' folder on Vista is a hidden folder, then Vista users need to make some changes :

In 'ALL-IN-ONE.cmd' change all occurances off :

FOR /f %%i IN ('DIR /b /a:d [...]

To :

FOR /f %%i IN ('DIR /b /a:dh [...]

In 'Bin\Install.cmd' change :

rem // Set Adblock Plus settings if exist.
FOR /F %%i IN ('DIR /B /A:D [...]
FOR /F %%i IN ('DIR /B /A:D [...]

To :

rem // Set Adblock Plus settings if exist.
FOR /F %%i IN ('DIR /B /A:DH [...]
FOR /F %%i IN ('DIR /B /A:DH [...]

Note: I'm not using Vista myself and the following is untested and just comes from doing a quick glance through the SOF2 batch files, and i don't even use SOF2 myself...

Edited by Martin H

• 3 weeks later...

glad to see you guys are keeping this project alive :thumbup SoF was one of my favorite programs. Add a GUI and you guys have a goldmine (yes im lazy :P )

I've found a very advanced 'SOF'

With this very useful installer (in every language) en program you can set every firefox setting that you can see in about:config.

http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/fmfirefox.htm

@G3brown: you are asking for no prompt for unsigned extensions.

Add this to your prefs.js: user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility", false);

sweet i didnt know about that, waiting those 3 seconds or so always slightly annoyed me :lol:

edit2: i just tried it and it recognizes that its disabled but still makes you wait 3 seconds to download it

Edited by Brando569

I have previously in this thread given a solution to fixing the problem with installing more than one extension from a batch file, but i have now comed to think about that the solution would only work for people which for security reasons have set their router to not respond to any localhost i.e 127.0.0.1 pinging attempts. I have personally done that myself, and i just now came to think about that this would have been the reason for Inferi0r stating that my solution didn't work for him.

So here is then a revised version of my previous solution, which now works for both people with stealthed localhost pinging enabled and also for people without :

ping -n 1 -w 4000 1.1.1.1

Please accept my apologi for not thinking about this sooner and also please include it in your SOF script if you like Inferi0r :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, I have a lot of Extensions for Firefox that i would like to install silently, all in xpi format.

is there a way to install them silently after firefox has been installed ?

thanks

The way I do with my Unattended XP DVD (named Select Edition, but in spanish), is:

- Copying my firefox 2.0.0.7 installed profile into the profile folder of SOF

- Using SOF to make an unattended installation from Firefox 1.5.0.10 installer

- Install silenty Firefox 2.0.0.7 (Firefox2.exe /S)

It works fine and maintains all my extensions. :whistle:

It's the only way I can do since SOF doesn't support FF 2 'still' (I wish).

I hope our expert Laptonic, if he has time, will implement FF 2 in the future.

We are all waiting for that I guess. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance Laptonic.

EDIT: Oh, I've read it won't be an updated version from Laptonic but Inferior has done another SOF 2, it seems to be a good job, I'll try it.

Edited by johnnymad

• 1 month later...

Does this work for firefox 2.0.0.8? When I tried it I put eveything in the proper directories and then tried the new package and my extensions and themes weren't installed with it! John :hello:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there

I'm having some trouble with SOF2, when i try installing firefox it still pops up on the screen and later it freeze and I cant kill it or go on with the rest of the programs which is pretty anoying :(

Hope for some help, I'm pretty sure I do what the readme says

Edit: and btw. it asks me if I want to install my extensions because they are not signed..

Edited by kalle_mod

• 1 month later...