HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

Hmm... and beside that do you think it's safe to remove? As I said I haven't met any program which needs it, but this can be because of my minimalistic sofware needs...(Vim, TC, Opera, acrobatreader 4/5, foobar2k... ;)) well if something didn't work I figured out how to solve it. For example I removed 16bit support, but with that I wasn't able to install Adobe Reader 4.05 becuse it uses 16bit installer. To solve the problem I simply extracted the Adobe 4 and 5 installers, and replaced only three of the installer files in 4.05 from 5.05. Hehe ;) Installs like a charm :P

So can there be any issues with wmi removed?

Edited by whitehorses

Not for most people. The most commonly used interface to these tools is Performance Logs and Alerts. If you use that or an app that pulls that same data then you need to leave this in.

With the current fileset, I have found that the WMI reducer is fine to use whereas the SystemMonitor reducers actually provide the counters. I can't tell yet whether or not using the WMI reducers will have a real impact on capability outside of a VM.

Well I can only tell that my current installation is without wmi, (though removed with nlite, not HFSLIP) and I haven't seen any need of it for a very-very long time. I used nlite because for some reason hfcleanup left in many compontents i asked for removing. One of them was wmi. Unfortunatly I can't give the exact setting, but since I'm still affraid of using hfcleanup, I'll try to do so:

I was using fdv fileset on a win2000 sp4 installer with all the hotfixes + dx9, but nothing else. I was using full full hfcleanup.zip fileset without the extra stuff in the "2000-only.zip". One of the first unusual things was the rather big SOURCESS folder. With the above mentioned setup I was only able to reduce the source to around 200 mb, which is in my oppinion is interestingly big, considering that if I run nlite on a source with hfslipped hotfixes+dx9, removing everything, making a barebone-minimalistic-totaly-slimmed-down-nothing-left-in installer, it will be around 60(!) Mgs (hehe... quite radical, eh? many times I only just leave dhcpclient, eventlog, activedirectory, codecs, and opengl in... it's works well on xp, though I experienced some odd things with 2k. By the way, currently I'm writing under such a 2k system, and working well since summer without mayor problems, though there are those stragie thingies :P)

When I installed the above mentioned 2000, (the hfslipped, which is around 200mg sources, NOT the nlited one) I experienced that many components was left in. One of them was for example wmi. Do you have any clues why did that happenned? Unfortunately, I think I'm not able to recall more datails :(

Edited by whitehorses

The current reducer set is not complete. Reducing SystemMonitor, PerformanceLogsAndAlerts and WMI all three still left about 11 meters working.

I am happy with that.

NOT reducing SystemMonitor gives you at least five more meters and I find them to be helpful ones.

I am very happy with that.

My current test setup does NOT reduce these:

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Applications_Briefcase.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Applications_Briefcase.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Driver_LAN.rdv

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_ActiveDirectory.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_MapNetworkDrivesNetworkPlacesWizard.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_MapNetworkDrivesNetworkPlacesWizard.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\OSOptions_NTBackup.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\OSOptions_NTBackup.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SecondaryLogin.inf

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SecondaryLogin.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SNMP.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SystemMonitor.inf

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SystemMonitor.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SystemMonitor.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_UPS.inf

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_UPS.rem

And it is working great for me so far. AD seems to be working great, I have the meters I want and Outlook 2003 will install and run in plain text and rich text modes.

I find it interesting the using all of the IE-related reducers has little effect on Outlook. You just can't use HTML rendering. Using FDV, on the other hand, gives Outlook all kinds of weird problems from not starting up to not being able to access the network.

The only ones that I actually HAVE to NOT reduce for the above requirements are these:

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Driver_LAN.rdv - For VMWare to use network

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_ActiveDirectory.rem - For AD

The rest I do not reduce just because I don't want to do so.

My current ISO is around 100MB but I am not using patches yet and I am not using high file compression.

My current ISO is around 100MB but I am not using patches yet and I am not using high file compression.

Hmm... yeah, I was expecting that for some reason the folder size of mine was abnormal... I think i should give it another try. I think I will do the following: I will make a new cleaned-up source, then compare some of the key files (like ie.inf layout.in, syssetup.inf and such) with the originals to find out what has happened.

By the way, just as an experiment once I commented out a few other services in HIVESYS.INF like eventlog and protected storage and other stuff, but I haven't tested it jet. Imho, I had a Win2000 running under VMware a few weaks ago, which booted up without RPC... Started with around 19Mb commit, hell. Though I had to open taskmanager, and start explorer.exe from there if I wanted a destop, hehe :P

Just a little tip for anyone making the same stupid mistakes as me...

Do not use the following characters in your reducer filenames:

!
#
;

I was using ! to prefix a few reducers so that they stood out in the file list as a note to myself. That actually caused them to be ignored. :whistle:

Cheers!

Would that override HFANSWER.INI settings? I don't think it should. Detecting is cool but if someone overrides with HFANSWER.INI then that is their own problem. That was what i was doing, and I have no excuse :blushing:

Also, I prefer Type C. If the HFCLEANUP detection took precedence over my HFANSWER.INI setting then there would be nothing I could do about it. (not really, but you get the idea)

Hi ALL :hello:

I'm back cause I just :wub: these Forums :yes:

But unfortunatelly I missed a lot of things by now and I won't try to make anything with other versions of Windows but Windows 2000 (just won't have time for testing in the near future). I've just tried my last set with the latest HFSLIP release and it works fine for me. I'm going to test the latest reducers too. I'll probably concentrate on W2k untill better time comes :)

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Is it worthwhile for HFSLIP to automagically select compression type A when a hfcleanup is detected? Sounds like this would avoid lots of problems that people are having.
What about making A option for manual running HFSLIP and placing more advanced option into HFANSWER.INI?

PS As far as I understand HFANSWER.INI for HFSLIP is something like WINNT.SIF for Unattended, right?

Edited by Oleg_II