HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

fdv :hello:

Not that I can't recommended :rolleyes: but I found MSHTML.DLL installs during unattended even if it is not in TXTSETUP.SIF but just from disk in some conditions (in my case it was called by some program that wanted to open CHM after installation). And when called (installing) it writes quite a few lines into regestry (I compared regestry of two systems installed from disks without it and with it). Not all of these lines are needed. All these regestry lines are into DLL itself. I tried to delete them and leave the file on CD but it reterns errors this way.

When using self-extracting archive it's not installed also. It is just placed in some folder and one or a few lines are written into regestry. The DLL is not registered at all (if you try to register it you will get all these lines into regestry again and probably will get some errors about missing WINHTTP.DLL during logoff or shutdown).

The same is with other help DLL and OCX files. So it's better not installing them at all. But finding which files and which regesrty entries are needed, then just placing files somewhere without registering and making these regestry changes (if needed at all).

The example with MSN Messanger: take its folder from ProgramFiles of other computer and move to your computer (I make self-extracting archive with it too). Place WINHTTP.DLL into this folder without registering this DLL at all and MSN Messanger will work on highly reduced system without IE ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

To all - be careful if using OlegII's silent help installer if you are hfslipping ie6 & hfcleanuping ie6. The installer seems to break some mshtml stuff specific for ie6.
Probably, because it intsalls the main DLL - MSHTML.DLL in other location.

By the way - I'm not sure if it is needed to use this installer with hfslipping ie6. I think MSHTML.DLL should be in the system already with ie6. Do you have problems with openning CHM files?

I have probs with chm files, probably because of the itss files. I typically don't need the help files, so it doesn't bother me. I'll have to retrofit the reducers to fix this... one of these days.

TAiN :hello:

This installer is mostly for those who delete IE completely :D

If somebody leaves it in the system (like TommyP does) there is no need to run it or some changes in it are needed to make support for CHM files (all entries about MSHTML.DLL should be deleted from INF and DLL itself is not needed too - it should be in system32 already anyway).

• 1 month later...
TAiN :hello:

This installer is mostly for those who delete IE completely :D

If somebody leaves it in the system (like TommyP does) there is no need to run it or some changes in it are needed to make support for CHM files (all entries about MSHTML.DLL should be deleted from INF and DLL itself is not needed too - it should be in system32 already anyway).

Do you know if Fred put this on site yet? I've been waiting for him to do so before I start trying to tinker with Win2000 again...

--iWindoze

iWindoze

Why? If you need this trick and you deleted IE completely just use it :D

What I mean: this is an additional installer, it depends on you if you want to use it or not. Anyway it's better to delete the files from the distro before installing because your installation will be cleaner. And if you want to add back the ability to open CHM you use the installer (may be done during unattended also).

I changed my MSHTML installer completely to Oleg's, but I have never tested it.

It is now in my fileset. However...

Because of a fluke which Tomcat is helping me work on, MSHTML.DLL -is- now installed in the system32 directory. This is due to the way HFSLIP parses and adds filenames to TXTSETUP. It shouldn't be happening but I need to work with Tomcat to get this fixed. The reality is that even with these unnecessary files in system32, explorer still will not display web sites, nor will ActiveX controls be a concern, etc. So even with this bug in place the system is still quite secure.

Request: I need a CMD file to parse TXTSETUP and generate a list of filenames with a semicolon in front. I -think- I had one once but I don't recall whop wrote it. I'm an INF writer not a CMD writer. Any takers? It would parse TXTSETUP and... make a list in another file...

filename1.111
;filename2.222
;filename3.333
filename4.444

would make a TXT file that would only have in it...

filename2.222
filename3.333

Any takers? Maybe TommyP made that little util for me.. I'll have to ask because I have little memory.

If you want to parse every line with a filename it could be something like this:

FOR /F "TOKENS=* DELIMS=" %%I IN ('FINDSTR/IR ",,," SOURCE\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF') DO ECHO>>SEMITXT.TXT ;%%I

This is on one line.

Edited by Tomcat76

Sorry for the bump…

I just cannot believe that noboby is willing to give the fdv cmd script a go!

PS.

TC, you dont need to state all tokens, because with no delimiters, there is only one token. Findstr doesn't need a switch for case sensitivity, nor in this case a regular expression. In fact you dont really need findstr at all.

FOR /F "DELIMS=" %%I IN ('FINDSTR ",,," SOURCE\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF') DO >>SEMITXT.TXT ECHO/;%%I

would give the same output as your example.

FOR /F "DELIMS=" %%I IN ('FIND ",,," ^<SOURCE\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF') DO >>SEMITXT.TXT ECHO/;%%I

would also produce the same result.

Of course the fact that the result has no similarity to that which was requested, both code fragments above are relatively pointless too!

I thought the tokens weren't needed either, but I'd consistently get "ECHO is on" or "ECHO is off" (depending on whether I added the ECHO command at the top) if I didn't include the TOKEN for this particular case. I experimented a bit to find out why but I have better things to do so I gave up.

The /IR isn't necessary. You can see I didn't spend much time on it... :)

Once again, sorry for the thread hijack!

TC, that's got nothing to do with tokens.

Try this!

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
SET MYVAR=This is example number one
ECHO %MYVAR%
SET MYVAR=
ECHO %MYVAR%
ECHO But
REM Use a slash or period right after the echo!
ECHO.
ECHO/
SET MYVAR=These are
ECHO/%MYVAR%
SET MYVAR=other examples
ECHO.%MYVAR%
SET MYVAR=
ECHO/%MYVAR%
ECHO.%MYVAR%
ECHO That's all
PAUSE
ENDLOCAL