internet explorer 7

wolf7448

internet explorer 7  

148 members have voted

1. 1. ...like it or hate it?

• love it
    • like it
    • hate it

Without getting into the whole IE vs. Firefox vs. Opera vs. etc... argument, I think IE7 is an improvement over IE6.

I personally like it--my only real exception to it is the fact that the menus are turned off by default, but as long as I can turn them back on, I can't really complain too much. The beta versions were a bit unstable and some pages wouldn't load correctly, but the latest version is working just fine for me.

I don't like it, for one reason: If you take away IE6 with nLite then IE7

will not install, therefore, it relies on IE6.

IE7 takes up something like 35Mb - and yet, it needs files that are in

IE6 in order to work!

Imagine this happening with Firefox. I mean, imagine downloading

Firefox v2.0 and it saying "Sorry, you seem to not have Firefox v1.5

installed so v2.0 cannot be installed". It just doesn't happen, unless

it is Microsoft.

I wouldn't go so far to say I hate IE7, but it seems pointless to me,

when we have Opera and Firefox which incidentally both work without

this inane necessity to have a previous version installed.

• 2 months later...

I hate IE 7. That nasty information bar is the stupidest idea EVER! On the one hand it is unsecure as hell and on the other it causes me to load the same page twice if I want to download something. Something like "Firefox Style" would be much more appropriate.

I was looking forward to the release of IE7, but my overall impression is one of disappointment. With all the advances in the browser world, I feel that MS has only done the bare minimum with updating their browser. It is great to finally see tabs in the browser, but for me they just do not seem to work as well as other tabbed browsers. I can't rightly put my finger on it... but something is missing with the release, it just doesn't feel... complete.

Took me a while to find the History button too... Lucky the keyboard shortcut is still the same.

Just my 2cents.

Feegle.

I know MS spends a fortune on usability studies, but IE7 is the first time where I outright hate a "design improvement". But I choose 'like it' because of the extra security it adds to users. Despite, IE7 wasn't able to make me stop using Firefox 2.x

I vote "love it" (with the qualifier, compared to v6).

Things that are great. I love clicking my scroll wheel to open a new tab. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten the "scroll arrows" on 6. (Yes I am a regular Firefox user).

2nd, it zooms most text!! I can't tell you how many web sites I visited in v6 and it wouldn't adjust the micro sized text one bit. (The biggest reason I used Firefox).

Too bad the CTRL-mouse scroll wheel, font size adjust direction is opposite of Firefox. I hate making all the text micro small when I meant to make it big. :wacko:

On to my biggest gripe about v7 (well any IE version) :realmad:

Now if they could only go to an XML (or other text file) system for storing book... er... favorites.

Reason being, a favorite is a file. The filename is determined by the <title> tag's contents. A lot of sites when you navigate to subpages, don't change that text, and when I make a favorite out of multiple pages on the same site, I have to rename the previous ones or deal with that dreaded "overwrite" previous one. Firefox, I can have multiple bookmarks with the same name.

Ok. the font size adjust and same name of a bookmark are a tie for why I used FF over IE.

The biggest draw back to IE7 on XP is if I check the "Download Updates" box during install, it seems to add forever to the install time.

Edited by JoeMSFN

The last time I was excited about Internet Explorer was back in the days of IE5 (IE 5.5 + Internet Tools... woot!); back when I first really got serious about using and learning about the internet.

But I've been using Firefox since 2002 and never looked back to IE, which only ever gets used to test web sites.