HardDrive Horror

Ok I bought an 80GB HD Today and I Wanna Combind my 2 HardDrives (40 and 80GB) how do I go about doing this? they are diff brand names :( the 80gb is a Hitachi.... I Donno the other name, it came with my HP Pavilion a200n.... I put the new HD On SLave and its not working :(

any ideas

of

what

I'm doing

wrong

RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 physical hard drives, and

[TOTAL CAPACITY] / [NUMBER OF DRIVES] = [sPACE USED FOR CHECKSUM]

Which means for 3 x 80GB hard drives, the total capacity available is 160GB since 80GB is used for checksum.

only 80gigs are used for checksum? i thought that you needed a checksum of the total disk space that u want to using(160gigs).

but you may be right, we both do know that its would be 160gigs of useful space and then there is a backup disk.

only 80gigs are used for checksum? i thought that you needed a checksum of the total disk space that u want to using(160gigs).

but you may be right, we both do know that its would be 160gigs of useful space and then there is a backup disk.

That's confusing... Better read up on this...

For RAID5 yes. For RAID1 (mirroring) you need the total size for checksum. With RAID5 you lose the space of 1 drive for checksum...so if you had 6 x 160GB drives you'd lose 160GB off of the total RAID'ed space.

He could do what's called JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). There's no speed gain or redundancy...it'd just make the drives look like a single drive. JBOD uses each disk in succession. So basically it just writes to Disk 1 until it fills it up, then moves to Disk 2 until it's full, then Disk 3, Disk 4, etc, etc. There may be a slight increase in read speeds if the files are on different disks of a JBOD volume, but it's not going to be that noticeable.

At any rate, none of these are something you can do to a drive that already has Windows installed on it without reinstalling the system. And the only way to do it from a fresh install is with a hardware RAID controller. If you want a stripe set (RAID0) then the best thing to do would be to pick up an identical 80GB drive and hardware RAID them. Software RAID will also work, but it'll use your system CPU for the calculations which could actually slow your system down.

would suggest leaving them as seprate drives and not joining them together in raid 0. small drive make it your OS driver and the new drive your apps or media or move or music drive etc... it is so much better able to format OS drive without worry of loosing all your due to being on other drive.

if you setup raid 0. formating means total loose of data on both drives. if one drive fails = total loss of data on both drives.

if ya go route of raid 1. 40 gigs on old drive and 40 gigs on new drive will be mirrored. if one drive fails you still have data on one of them that you can retrieve using other pc if nessary. the extra 40gig on the new drive you could use as OS drive