[Error] FireFox 1.5 keeps crashing

TravisO

I keep gettng this error:

------

firefox.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "xxxxxxxxxx" reference at memory at "xxxxxxxxxx". The memory could not be "read".

------

The"x" values change everytime.

I get it very often, sometimes at the start of FireFox or within 5-10 mins. Bizarrely, on my wife's account on the same PC it works fine (same binary!). So I un-installed FF, removed the folders, deleted registry keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MAHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER (just for myself).

I re-installed FF, and it's the same exact thing all over again.

My PC is clean, no virus or spyware, on junkware, a nice clean XP SP2 /w all updates and 768megs of ram. I have never had problems with any other program before. Also, I run the same setup with the same plug ins at work with no problems.

Edited by travisowens

Yes this is 1.5 final, I re-downloaded it to re-install it a couple days ago.

As my original post described, I removed all registry and folders relating to this app, which means I removed the profile (which I also suspected as the problem).

I don't use Gmail (nor the notifier), but realize this is a generic error that any app can cause.

Edited by travisowens

Well deleting

C:\Documents and Settings\johndoe\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

and

C:\Documents and Settings\johndoe\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

did not fix the issue, is there a more official way to remove profiles in 1.5? Google claims older versions of FF had a profile manager but I can't find it in 1.5, any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should submit this as a bug to Firefox but just to let you guys know...

I got a new HD for xmas, I installed it and duped my old HD, had problems, ultimately I had to re-install XP fresh on the new HD and re-installed every application fresh.

So here's the wierd part, I'm having almost the same exact problem, an a freshly formatted drive on the same PC. But instead of getting the same error, FireFox dies silently, and just as often as Firefox would crash before.

No other app is unstable on my PC, and I'm an avid Photoshop user, IE, Winamp, Trillian. Obviously is had to be hardware related but considering nothing else in unstable I'm still going to blame Firefox 1.5

This is exactly what happened to me. It was happeneing frequently, and i tried reinstalling, deleting all folders/files related to firefox then reinstalling, but this didn't work. So i gave up and started to use Opera, and im actually loving it.

Using the profile manager to delete my profile and create a new one didn't work.

Did you deleted ur windows profile whic resides in c:\documents and settings\"name of the profile"

After that log in again with ur username and new profile will be automatically created...

It's not a Firefox profile issue, I was thinking of windows profile..

As I stated above, I got a new HD and decided to re-install XP from scratch and still had instability issues (no more error, wouldn't crash as often). So I don't have the same Windows (or FireFox) "profile".

Well I found a work around, and my favorite FF extension to date: SessionSaver

No matter what your tabs are saved: FF can crash, you can close FF, you can log-out, your PC can crash or you have a power outage. A tab doesn't die unless you close it.

I use this at home where FF is semi-stable, and I use it at work where FF is fully stable. If I want to do a task that needs a lot of ram (Photoshop, Gaming, etc) I can just close FF without losing what I was doing.

Edited by travisowens