Universal Extractor

nitro322

Seems that sometimes it has difficulties to recognize the archive format. If you take for example the original Trialversion for winzip 10 - a zipexe archive - UniversalExtracter responds with a message:

winzip100.exe cannot be extracted.

Filetype returned was: Nothing found [Overlay]

Matidio, I saw your comment about this problem on my website a few weeks ago. I'm glad I finally have a chance to reply to you. :-)

This issue occurs because of the method I'm using to analyze the files and determine the type. UniExtract doesn't actually do any of this itself; instead, it uses PEiD.exe to analyze the file, and takes action based on its output. If PEiD.exe returns "Nothing found [Overlay]" (as in your specific example), then UniExtract doesn't know how to handle it.

I know this isn't perfect, but so far it's the best method I've been able to come up with. If you know of a better way to determine the filetype of these "unknown" executables, please let me know. I'll do what I can to include it in UniExtract.

Thanks.

Matidio, is this the file you're encountering problems with?

http://download.winzip.com/winzip100.exe

I just downloaded it and tried it out myself, and it worked fine for me. PEiD does return "Nothing found [Overlay]" as described above, but UniExtract extracts the contents anyway as an "Unknown 7-zip archive". I'd noticed in the past that a lot of self-extracting archives do not have a recognized signature, so I basically added a default case to attempt extraction with both 7-zip and InfoZip if it's unknown. In this case, it works perfectly.

This behavior has been present since version 1.0, though it was missing in earlier versions. After investigating this further, I'm puzzled that you're having this problem. Are you sure you're using version 1.1?

It's unbelievable. I tried it now at home with same universalextracter binary which I ported from work (the bin rar) at home and here it works ... :blink:

I swear it's the same bin. At work I started it directly from the extracted directory (It can't be the 1.0 because I did uninstall it some week before) and it didn't work and showed this message.

So I don't know what it could be. I hate this kind of mysteries :realmad: I doubt it has something to do with the environment. Both standard XPSP2 (at home a little bit cleaner). Wednesday I will do another test at work (tomorrow is a holiday for us) and I will report. Sorry for this mess.

I verified at work and it happens definitely with the new version 1.1 as you can see on the screenshot. I'm verifying what could be the difference between home and work. Here at work nothing special is installed. As you can see on the second screenshot the message "Nothing found [Overlay] is delivered from PEid.exe.

I will report if I find something.

Saluti

post-80466-1146042837_thumb.jpg

post-80466-1146043153_thumb.jpg

I verified at work and it happens definitely with the new version 1.1 as you can see on the screenshot.

Did you use the installer or the archive? If you used the installer, did you choose to "Add Universal Extractor to your system path"?

Edited by nitro322

Thanks for this super tool.

I've had a problem with Inno Setup installer, see below the warning message.

"Signature detected: Inno Setup Setup Data (2.0.8) with ISX (2.0.10). This is not a supported version.

Can not open or read the specified file: "C:\Telechargements\Compel WinAspi.exe"

Exception class EFatalError with message: 1

Error (EFatalError) "1" at address 0043F654"

Thanks for reply.

Since this program uses 7zip to do a lot of its extraction, is it possible to add a few more file extensions for which Universal Extractor will work with? That way, there would be no need to install 7zip at all and the programs efficiency would go up tremendously. Additionally, I would like it if those filetypes (archives) would use the Universal Extractor icon. Here are some filetypes I can think of currently:

zip, tar, rar, gz, cab, rpm, z, iso, 7z, bz2

Edited by tap52384

Since this program uses 7zip to do a lot of its extraction, is it possible to add a few more file extensions for which Universal Extractor will work with? That way, there would be no need to install 7zip at all and the programs efficiency would go up tremendously. Additionally, I would like it if those filetypes (archives) would use the Universal Extractor icon. Here are some filetypes I can think of currently:

all of those files have been supported for ages now

I've had a problem with Inno Setup installer, see below the warning message.

"Signature detected: Inno Setup Setup Data (2.0.8) with ISX (2.0.10). This is not a supported version.

Can not open or read the specified file: "C:\Telechargements\Compel WinAspi.exe"

Exception class EFatalError with message: 1

Error (EFatalError) "1" at address 0043F654"

Giorgio_ap, I use innounp to extract files from Inno Setup packages. innounp only supports installers created with Inno Setup 3.0 and newer. Based on your error message, I'm guessing that the installer you're trying to extract was created with a 2.x version. I'm not sure why this limit exists, but unfortunately UniExtract can only support packages which are in turn supported by its helper programs.

If you'd like, though, I'd be happy to take a look specifically at this file and see if I can diagnose the problem. Can you send me a download link?

tap52384, I don't think I understand your request. As Lost Soul just mentioned, each of the archive types you listed are already supported. Are you asking about other types that aren't listed?

A quick question/suggestion.

Is there a way for Universal Extractor to work with new hotfixes for Windows? I mean, the /x:<target dir> switch instead of using 7-zip. That way, it will work with all Type-1 hotfixes and not just some. Maybe something similar to what it does with type 2 hotfixes.

the_guy

Is there a way for Universal Extractor to work with new hotfixes for Windows? I mean, the /x:<target dir> switch instead of using 7-zip.

the_guy, could you please post links to a couple examples of what you're calling type 1 and type 2 hotfixes? I wasn't aware that they had different types with different methods of extraction. I'd be happy to look into it.

Changelog of 7-zip 4.40 beta:

- 7-Zip now can unpack some installers created by NSIS

- New localization: Kurdish

- Some bugs were fixed

According to my tests with the 7-zip scripts, "some" means:

BCJ+LZMA (SetCompressor lzma SetCompressorFilter 1 with the LZMA - BCJ Filter Patch),

LZMA and

Zlib

but 7-zip cannot extract NSIS installers created with Bzip2 compression.

Guillermo Gabrielli

Edited by ggf31416

Changelog of 7-zip 4.40 beta:

- 7-Zip now can unpack some installers created by NSIS

- New localization: Kurdish

- Some bugs were fixed

According to my tests with the 7-zip scripts, "some" means:

BCJ+LZMA (SetCompressor lzma SetCompressorFilter 1 with the LZMA - BCJ Filter Patch),

LZMA and

Zlib

but 7-zip cannot extract NSIS installers created with Bzip2 compression.

Guillermo Gabrielli

man u beat me to it. i was just gonna post this :)

is there way to cascade the context menu?