Universal Extractor

nitro322

Hey nitro,

Universal Extractor I think has replaced 7-zip on my end. It does more than 7-zip could ever do (extracting-wise, that is).

I have 1 problem. Whenever I try to extract the type-2 hotfixes (the 913433 hotfix for example), I get an error about invalid switches. It detects the installer correctly, but it says the switches are incorrect. Is there a way you can fix this for 1.3/1.2.2?

the_guy

Yeah and the worst thing is I am warned about it after every reboot. Getting annoying. Just wish they would fix their **** detections.

What's antivirus are you using?

If you are using AntiVir you can exclude files from the Resident Guard:

Extras -> Configuration -> Guard (Expert Mode must be enabled) -> Scan -> Click the + -> Exception -> Files objects to be omitted for the Guard

Using F-Prot Antivirus and yea its lame you cant exclude anything from resident protector...
Has anyone on this board ever dealt with reporting false positives to virus companies? I know I'm a bit late in tackling this, but I'd like to essentially submit copies of the binaries that have been reported as infected with a virus to the major virus companies so that they can (hopefully) validate them and fix their definitions. My time is still rather limited at the moment, though, so I was wondering if there was any fast/easy way to do this, rather than looking up contact info for one company at a time.

Any suggestions or previous experience with this topic? Thanks.

I am trying but not a single one has responded back to me. I guess because I am not a paying customer with any of them besides f-prot and even they have not answered me. :( Basterds!

reporting "false positives" seems to be a waste of time so far. i tried asking avg how to remove them but received no reply.

i searched their .dat files with a hex editor but couldn't find any of interest.

Not a problem as such but I tried to UniExtract PhotoStory3.exe

(it came out of an MSI file to belin with) and get this...

C:\__\__\__\PhotoStory3.exe cannot be extracted.

Filetype returned was: Nothing found

:}

Seems Microsoft have some compiler all of their own?

Also, there is a virus scanner that claims to scan within

ASprotect packed executables. It would be a GODSEND

if those could be unpacked!

Many viruses are put in those ASprotect files :( because

they are really hard to crack open. The virus scanner that

claims to scan within them is called "Virus Chaser". It can

also scan within UPX EXE files.

Hello nitro.

I don't read all 12 pages of this topic :)

My request to you - please , add support for InstallShield3 (*.z) , old-NSIS(compressed in BZip2) , MHT-files.

You can use TrID for identify file (now more than 1700 filetypes) - http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

Add please , useful option in GUI - "detect filetype" and AviExtract (http://members.lycos.co.uk/yugres/download/avixtr.zip)

PS Many thanks for UniExtractor !

Edited by Surfer

Ok, I'm starting to plan my change/improvements for the next version. I've gone through each forum post since the last version was released and jotted down all suggestions, which I've listed below. Of course, the anything listed here is not guaranteed to be implemented, but I'll at least look into it and see if it's feasible and/or technically possible. If you have any other suggestions, please speak up now.

investigate better InstallSheild .exe extraction (include support files in addition to MSI) - comment 98

typo - IstallShield package

7-zip version - current beta version being used extracts .nsi - newer versions do not. Preference?

decompress packed files - UPX, Aspack - comment 102

check 7za.exe to see if current version supports all 7z.exe formats

upgrade PEiD

use innounp to extract files including directory structure - comment 114

separate associated file types for Windows Explorer sorting? - comment 116

add support for Setup Factory installers (need samples) - comment 121

support Zip archives using Bzip2 compression - comment 151, 153

get 4nt shell solution from clauderenaud - comment 154

can skypesetup.Exe be supported? - comment 154

link to Chinese port - comment 161

add internationalization support? - comment 161

fix support for "type-2" hotfixes - comment 166

can PhotoStory3.exe be supported - comment 169

support ASprotect files? (need samples) - comment 169

add support for InstallShield3 (*.z), old-NSIS(compressed in BZip2), MHT-files - comment 170

Incorporate output within AutoIt GUI rather than spawning external shell(s)

Btw, I never did get any feedback to my internationalization question in post 161. Is there sufficient interest in this to make it worth my time? If not, then I'm just going to leave it as it is.

Thanks.

handy little critter -- may have caught a bug?

I tried to look at : http://www.astrosurf.com/astropc/cartes/prog/cdcbase276.exe (other files on same page seem to produce the same result)

UniExtract.exe 121 (exe install all options off) in PIII win98se sp21a returns yellow-! "exe could not be extracted -- appears to be a self-extracting MS CAB file which is supported but extraction failed. see log"

log is 2 bytes: 0d0a.

regards

--edit--

7-zip 442 extracts the exe ok, creating a "presetup.bmp" which identifies a "Ghost installer Wizard ©2002 ginstall Corp"

Edited by Molecule

Btw, I never did get any feedback to my internationalization question in post 161. Is there sufficient interest in this to make it worth my time? If not, then I'm just going to leave it as it is.

As far as I'm concerned, I see no need for a internationalization of UniExtract. IMHO dialogs are not

hard to understand and if an user doesn't understand them, then he probably never used a computer.

Guys , nice work with the extractors , I have been looking for something to be able to do this for a while. I mainly work with Wise ( Design Studio and Install manager ) . Extracting the files is one thing but is there anything in the works in relation to reverse engineering it so that you can create or extract the Wise *.wsi *.wse. This way you would have the reg entries and other components.

I tried to look at : http://www.astrosurf.com/astropc/cartes/prog/cdcbase276.exe (other files on same page seem to produce the same result)

UniExtract.exe 121 (exe install all options off) in PIII win98se sp21a returns yellow-! "exe could not be extracted -- appears to be a self-extracting MS CAB file which is supported but extraction failed. see log"

--edit--

7-zip 442 extracts the exe ok, creating a "presetup.bmp" which identifies a "Ghost installer Wizard ©2002 ginstall Corp"

I've added that issue to my todo list. Thanks for reporting it.

As far as I'm concerned, I see no need for a internationalization of UniExtract. IMHO dialogs are not hard to understand and if an user doesn't understand them, then he probably never used a computer.

While I agree that the dialgos are not hard to understand, if you cannot speak the language at all then even the simplest prompt can be incomprehensible. I tried playing around with Clippit's version, and even though I wrote the program I still had no idea what it said. :)

With that said, I'm not at all discounting your opinion that it's not needed. So far you're the only one that's commented on it, and obviously you feel it's not worth the extra work. That's exactly what I'm trying to guage. Thanks for giving your opinion.

is there anything in the works in relation to reverse engineering it so that you can create or extract the Wise *.wsi *.wse. This way you would have the reg entries and other components.

I agree that this would be extremely useful, but there's currently no way that I'm aware of to get this data. Keep in mind that Universal Extractor relies entirely on 3rd-party programs to handle all extraction - if there is no existing method available to extract a given archive format, then UniExtract cannot do it either.

If you ever do come across a utility that can do this, though, please post it here. I'd be very happy to include support for it.

Edited by nitro322

Another format that currently is not supported is UHA (UHARC)

UHARC 0.6b can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.elf.stuba.sk/pub/pc/pack/uharc06b.zip

Older versions of UHARC can be downloaded from http://www.klaimsoft.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25

Edit: If you want to support ZIP/Bzip2 you can do the following: extract the archive with 7-zip (using -aos, so no time is wasted extracting already existing files) if Info-Zip gives an exit code of 81.

Edited by ggf31416

This is simply amazing!

I didn't know I was looking for this App. until I found it :lol:

Great job, thanks.

EDIT:

PS - Will the UPX update be able to to the overlay of Markus & Laszlo?

Edited by vim