[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

Will the command shell be a GUI or a command line type setup?

Will the command shell layout, look, etc. be customizable?

Will there be any shortcuts to access the graphics settings so that you can easily fix the AA/AF settings, instead of having to right click on the desktop, click properties, etc, or going through the control panel?

I guess GE will use NTFS?

Will GE be able to run any apps that enable players to be able to talk to each without having to load the actual game, programs such as XFire or GAIM?

How about programs like STEAM?

Will you be able to host games using GE?

Thanks again!

@shix

Dual-core? I don't quite remembering stating that as a minimum requirement :D (it's recommended though).

@Wicket20519

I don't understand what you mean for your first question.

The command shell interface will be customizable, since it uses cmd.exe.

There won't be any utility to change AA or AF with ease, though most games support that setting in-game. Your best choice is to use a driver with settings tuned to your likings.

GE will use either FAT32 or NTFS.

GE is based off of the XP core, so whatever XP can run, GE will be able to with the right dependencies.

I don't use Steam, so I still have to research about Steam before I can understand whether it's needed or not.

Any game can be hosted as long as you don't have a router firewall blocking certain ports.

@aegis

if i were to enable page file in this release, could i still use this gamer edition of yours?

it's really tempting to try out. a REALLY small windows install, which is pretty neat.

it's nothing new compared to microwinx, but i also like this application you made.

When do it come out?

the project looks great!

only i dont understand the system requirements

Recommended System Requirements:

▪ Windows XP Professional

▪ Dual-core x64 Processor

▪ 2 GB of RAM

▪ Cable or DSL Connection

Minimum System Requirements:

▪ Windows XP Professional

▪ Intel or AMD Processor

▪ 1 GB of RAM

▪ Cable or DSL Connection

WHY? This Windows is smaller then the normal WIndows, so why needs it more?

it not a problem for me but i was just :wacko:

@likwit

Wicket20519 is right about the RAM being used for games. Future games are expected to use even more memory than just 1GB. Dual-core is recommended because next generation games all benefit from the use of two cores. In fact, some games such as Quake already do.

@shix

Enabling page file is possible, but would decrease performance if you have the necessary amount of RAM. The reason for this is that the page file not only fragments your hard drive, resulting in longer load times, but also takes up CPU cycles to copy information from the memory to the hard drive and is slower than RAM.

Aegis :hello:

How long till you release a beta of this thing?

How it progressing? What are you currently focusing on?

So i take it, there will be dialup support also now?

Glad you changed minimum requirements, not so insane now.

-k

Edited by kalo

@kalo

Dial-up will be supported, if you choose so :D. Currently I have not had the time to work on this project due to the amount of work teachers assign you before break :P. I'm focusing on making the install as simple as possible, though don't expect it to be easy enough for the average home user to work it. If time allows, a beta will be released before I get my new gaming computer for Christmas.

Edited by Aegis