Multiple winnt.sif

The idea isnt new, but to uncomplicate things why not just keep

several Winnt.sif files on several floppies and use whichever

floppy is correct for the installation you are about to proceed with.

shark

I find using multiple floppy's even more complicated. I would do it this way:

Place the .sif files in a folder on the CD like so:

x:\config1.sif

x:\config2.sif

x:\config3.sif

etc...

etc...

then create a batch file like so:

@echo off
SET CHOICE=
echo.
echo 1. install using config1
echo 2. install using config2
echo 3. install using config3
echo.
SET /P CHOICE="Please select the config-file: "
if errorlevel == 1 file=config1.sif
if errorlevel == 2 file=config2.sif
if errorlevel == 3 file=config3.sif
etc...

winnt32.exe /unattend:[%file%]

NOTE: Code may be incorrect/also it think there is a cleaner way, but I'm getting rusty on my batch-skills...

Floppies are rarely found in PCs lately. What if you run across a PC w/o floppy?

Multiboot is a nice way to accomplish that. You just need to HEX-edit SETUPLDR.BIN and replace winnt.sif with winnX.sif where X is the number of the scenario. Save the file as SETUPLD1.BIN. Repeat the procedure as many times as you want. In short, you'll have

SETUPLD1.bin referring to winn1.sif

SETUPLD2.bin referring to winn2.sif

and so on.

Then you need to use a boot manager like BCDW and point each boot option to the corresponding SETUPLx.BIN

It's a time consuming method given you need to figure out the boot manager stuff, but works everywhere you can boot from CD.

So, let me get this straight.....

If I edit the .dat file (Bootsector) so that it says SETUPLD1.BIN instead of SEUPLDR.BIN, then opened up the corresponding SETUPLDR.BIN in the boot folder and edit every WINNT.SIF reference to say WINN1.SIF, I should be able to have it run with more than one install option?

If I edit the .dat file (Bootsector) so that it says SETUPLD1.BIN instead of SEUPLDR.BIN, then opened up the corresponding SETUPLDR.BIN in the boot folder and edit every WINNT.SIF reference to say WINN1.SIF, I should be able to have it run with more than one install option?

Not really. I suggested editing SETUPLDR.BIN and replacing winnt.sif with winnX.sif. This is just the first step. Then you have to work on multiboot. Eventually, you get to BCDW's settings where you specify the path to each SETUPLDx.bin. Something like that

\i386\setupld1.bin	 ;Windows XP Professional Unattended	;Unattend
\i386\setupldr.bin ;Windows XP Professional Regular ;Regular

All of the above applies only if you go with BCDW. If you need step-by-step directions, study the guide Grake linked to. It doesn't use BCDW, and has some other differences, but is good for those who want to combine different OSs on one medium. If you go with BCDW, I'll try to help you out.