98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

If you can

could you remove the webtv update?

But some people may want and/or need it, PROBLEMCHYLD. It is an update to a component of Windows 98 SE (yes, it's an optional component; but it's a component available to users on the setup disk, who may have chosen a full installation).

Come on, think about other users here.

i agree it should be optional i don't have webtv on my machine so no need for the update right.

If you can

could you remove the webtv update?

But some people may want and/or need it, PROBLEMCHYLD. It is an update to a component of Windows 98 SE (yes, it's an optional component; but it's a component available to users on the setup disk, who may have chosen a full installation).

Come on, think about other users here.

i agree it should be optional i don't have webtv on my machine so no need for the update right.

bristols and PROBLEMCHYLD, the WEBTV files for Win98se only get updated if the original files were installed. If they were not installed, they do not get updated. therefore, it is optional.

Note to PROBLEMCHYLD: are u still using McAfee VirusScan 9.1 and those other mcafee apps you had installed on your machine?

• 2 weeks later...

Note to PROBLEMCHYLD: are u still using McAfee VirusScan 9.1 and those other mcafee apps you had installed on your machine?

Not on my Win98SE machines but they are installed on my WinXP boxes

I think you should stick with VirusScan 9.1 build 9.1.0.8. I tested a demo version of VirusScan 10 build 10.0.21 and the McAfee security center app bundled in VS 10 nags me to check for updates (after more than 7 days) after setting up VirusScan 10 and mcafee security center to not automatically check for and download updates. VS 9 and the older build of mcafee security center is less intrusive. I got rid of it and reverted back to the 9.1.0.8 version.

VirusScan Home Edition 11 (also included in VirusScan Plus 2007) can only run under Win2000, XP, Server 2003 and Vista. last version of VirusScan Home Edition to support Win98 & ME is version 10.

Not on my Win98SE machines but they are installed on my WinXP boxes

I think you should stick with VirusScan 9.1 build 9.1.0.8. I tested a demo version of VirusScan 10 build 10.0.21 and the McAfee security center app bundled in VS 10 nags me to check for updates (after more than 7 days) after setting up VirusScan 10 and mcafee security center to not automatically check for and download updates. VS 9 and the older build of mcafee security center is less intrusive. I got rid of it and reverted back to the 9.1.0.8 version.

VirusScan Home Edition 11 (also included in VirusScan Plus 2007) can only run under Win2000, XP, Server 2003 and Vista. last version of VirusScan Home Edition to support Win98 & ME is version 10.

Why not use Clam AntiVirus...much better than McAfee and it can be packed with the SP easily...

I really don't know any programing language but could someone look at the source code(Clam AV is Opensource) and see how can they change it up to be bundled with the next release of the service pack :}

the site is

http://www.clamav.net/

In view of Gape's prolonged absence from the forum I think we need to come to some determination about Gape's Unofficial Service Pack. There have been numerous enquiries about him but nobody seems to have an answer. My belief is that Gape has moved on to pastures new. I'm not in any way blaming him for this in any way. His contribution in introducing and developing the Win98SE service packs has been brilliant and magnificent and I wish him well with his future activities. But I move that now MGDx be asked to pick up on the service packs from where Gape left off (i.e. with SP2.1a) so that we don't lose the momentum.

That's a lot of conclusions. Any basis? (About Gape, I mean.)

Have you noticed the new Autopatcher thread? That's pretty much a fine successor, although I liked the results better when I applied Gape's pack first. Saved me from installing some stuff manually that is not done by the Autopatcher.

MDGx has his hands full if he were only to just keep up that website. He also is maintaining several packs himself. But he speaks for himself.

Why not use Clam AntiVirus...much better than McAfee and it can be packed with the SP easily...

I really don't know any programing language but could someone look at the source code(Clam AV is Opensource) and see how can they change it up to be bundled with the next release of the service pack :}

the site is

http://www.clamav.net/

even better, FoxHound. go to this site instead for getting Clam Antivirus app for Windows:

http://www.clamwin.com/

the one provided at the Clamav.net site is for Unix/Linux

plonkeroo, let's wait by the end of this year or by the start of next year if Gape to see if he responds.

i know for sure the Win2k SP5 hotstream project has been put on hold for a while since the Hotstream creator [Gurgelmeyer] hasnt been around too.

Thats Great, I think ClamWin is a good AV plus it also doubles as an anti-spyware.I just now know it does support Windows 9X/ME/2000..

Did Anyone take a look at source code?

After reading some documentation, it may also support a LIVE SCAN.The AV will check for virus/Spyware witout installing the whole program...it can be ran though the CD or USB or it can be used to check for viruses BEFORE installing the Service Pack, something you can't do wit Mcafee.

ClamWin CD/USB - HowTo
How to Run ClamWin from CD or USB
Introduction

This tutorial explains how to create a CD or USB key with ClamWin, to allow a Windows PC to be scanned for viruses without having to install ClamWin. Note that the CD/USB key is not bootable, and so can only be used on a working Windows PC. This tutorial was written to satisfy a feature request logged with the ClamWin project (RFE 945882)

The PC that is used to create the CD/USB will need to have ClamWin installed, and be able to copy files/folders to a CD or USB key.
Preparation

Start by installing the latest version of ClamWin, and download the latest virus definitions. See the ClamWin manual for full details on how to do this. Note that, if you are going to create a CD, you will not be able to update the virus definitions without creating a new CD, since a CD is read-only.
Copy Folders

Create a working folder in a convenient location to hold the files that are to be copied onto CD/USB, eg C:\ClamWin-CD.
In the working folder, create a folder named ClamWin.
Copy the contents of the ClamWin program folder into C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin. By default, the ClamWin program folder is installed to C:\Program Files\ClamWin
Create folders named log, db and quarantine in C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin
Copy the ClamWin database files (main.cvd & daily.cvd) into C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin\db. In Windows 2000/XP, the ClamWin database folder defaults to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\.clamwin\db, where USERNAME is your login name (if it was installed for a single user) or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\db (if it was installed for all users).
Copy this config file to C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin\bin\clamwin.conf

You should now have the following folders:

C:\ClamWin-CD
C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin\bin
C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin\db
C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin\lib
C:\ClamWin-CD\ClamWin\quarantine

Copy Files to CD/USB

Now you just need to copy the contents of C:\ClamWin-CD to a CD or USB key. Do not copy the C:\ClamWin-CD folder itself, only the contents. Exactly how this is done will depend on whether a CD or USB key is to be used, and what software is to be used.
Using the CD/USB

To use it, insert the CD/USB into the PC to be scanned. Run ClamWin by double-clicking on the ClamWin.exe file in the ClamWin\bin folder.

ClamWin should operate normally, but if run from CD or a read-only USB drive, it will have the following restrictions:

* Files will not be quarantined
* Internet updates will not work
* Preferences cannot be changed

These restrictions will not apply if it is run from a USB drive with read-write permissions.

Based on this, you need to install ClamWin FIRST so you can copy the program to a CD or USB so it can be ran as a LIVE CD/SCAN Program.You could pack the LIVE SCAN with the Service Pack to Check for Viruses before installation...as I said before

Edited by FoxHound

I guess I could try to update the 98SE SP, but it could be a while till I post a new build, my spare time is limited.

IMO, I think erpdude8 is a better candidate for the SP [if he has the time, of course].

He has updated/maintained quite a few service packs lately.

And if he decides to take this up, I'll post the packs as soon as he sends me email + 1 link.

I guess I could try to update the 98SE SP, but it could be a while till I post a new build, my spare time is limited.

IMO, I think erpdude8 is a better candidate for the SP [if he has the time, of course].

And if he decides to take this up, I'll post the packs as soon as he sends me email + 1 link.

well I have created an updated release of the 98se SP (v2.2.0) in my spare time a while ago but I'm not going to be creating future releases after that. by the start of next year I might be moving on to more important things in life outside the computer world.

if there was going to be a newer release of the 98se SP (created by me) I'll probably release it right around the Christmas holidays. but that's a BIG IF

It looks like Gurgelmeyer may have also suffered the same fate as Gape. see Hostream forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=130

it looks like someone there might be taking over the Hostream project

well I have created an updated release of the 98se SP (v2.2.0) in my spare time a while ago but I'm not going to be creating future releases after that. by the start of next year I might be moving on to more important things in life outside the computer world.

if there was going to be a newer release of the 98se SP (created by me) I'll probably release it right around the Christmas holidays. but that's a BIG IF

It looks like Gurgelmeyer may have also suffered the same fate as Gape. see Hostream forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=130

it looks like someone there might be taking over the Hostream project

and the Kernel Update Project....I think someone already took over that project.