win2k hotstream - topic continued

prathapml

Is there an official description you can give us, I assumed that was yours.

@Seppl - Yes - it's final. The build number is at the bottom of the autorun.htm file - USP 5.01 build 11-2005-10-17 (service release 1) :)

@Alexander Maxim - you're right, I did't :) Had some personal stuff to take care of :}

I'm a bit surprised - >1600 dl's in a day or so - wow! Btw, the description should say 403 hotfixes rather than 168 hotfixes. ;)

Hi :)

Technically it is possible to make a non-cumulative service pack, which would require SP4. Maybe I should look into that again ;)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer :B

Well, I vote for this solution. Update to Win2K SP4 , with all extras would be great. To be honest, I don't know enyone who still use Windows 2000 without SP4.

File will be much smaller (I guess), so it would be easier to download and faster to implement.

@MajorGeeks and @SoftPedia: Yep - I'll send you a description in a PM. I'm rather surprised by the amount of dl's btw - but a lot of people have passed by from other forums :hello: I've learned.

I wouldn't be able to fix all the SP4 bugs in a delta package, it would not be able to integrate as efficiently as the USP's, installation would leave less disk space available, integrated installs would be larger, and the overall quality would suffer. Also it would matter in which order those packages were applied, and some files (txtsetup.inf, dosnet.inf, hivesft.inf, hivecls.inf, setupreg.hiv etc. etc. which already exists in five versions - one for each W2k flavour) would become hard if not impossible to update correctly using normal .inf technology. Also it would delay further releases at least by a month or so. Sry - but I think you are all better off with the cumulative versions, where I've had the chance to test it thoroughly, verify each and every registry setting, each and every file, etc etc - because I actually do that. :)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

@MajorGeeks and @SoftPedia: Yep - I'll send you a description in a PM. I'm rather surprised by the amount of dl's btw - but a lot of people have passed by from other forums :hello: I've learned.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

There are a lot of people (me included) that think that your work on the USP5 is very important. W2K is my favorite OS and I'm not gonna give it up that easy. So keep up the good work Gurgelmeyer and make us the W2K fans happy :thumbup

Yeah, we were pretty excited when we saw it. 2k has a lot of users still. We lose money hosting a file like this, but its just too cool not to have in our archives. We love free cool stuff. :)

There are a lot of people (me included) that think that your work on the USP5 is very important. W2K is my favorite OS and I'm not gonna give it up that easy. So keep up the good work Gurgelmeyer and make us the W2K fans happy :thumbup

@gurglemeyer,

you said, that slipstreaming is terrible, oke here i must agrea,

but even though it might be slower and compresion might be worse,

wouldn't it be an idea to create 2 packages,

sp5 (you done that part)

and sp5.1_extrame

but also, reactive exe files that install a windows component with the

/silent parameter,

what that does is, anable us to run full cumulative installs from cmdlines.txt (outside of the servicepack.inf files)

even though it might take some extra space and install time

it also would alow to leave out certain components, (i for one dont look forward to first updating all ie-files and than removing them with Nlite, - cuz im probebly not confident that Nlite wont screw me up with it).

Anyone for comments??????

Don't worry - I will maintain four packages - the "unbloated" USP 5.0 - and the "slightly bloated" USP 5.1 Basic Edition, the "sligthly more bloated" USP 5.1 Standard Edition, and the really bloated USP 5.1 Extreme Edition..

All will be in ONE download - which will not be significantly larger than the current USP 5.0 SR1. My guess is <250 MB.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)