Revolutions Pack: I can't believe you did that !

Plugs7

I can't just delete a line from script without testing
There is no testing to be done and you know it. Removing that line will just prevent the system backup directory to be erased by your makbackup.bat script.

Do you take people for total idiots or what ? Anyone that's going to download RP4 is going to lose its system backup folder with all it's content. Of course at the next startup a new system backup directory will be automatically created by scanreg but it will contain only post RP4 install data.

I have never seen this anywhere. A develloper has got a severe and extremely easy to fix flaw in its installer leading to major loss of data on the target systems and refuses to fix it !!!!

It would take you five minutes to fix that and you don't do it, why ?

You still distribute that file, don't you ? So fix it please.

it was added somewhen with some purpose.

And what was this purpose ?

The only purpose I can see in it is that it prevents the ones who download and install your pack to properly and fully uninstall your pack by restoring not only the original files but also their original registry which is forever lost because of this line.

If you had another purpose, tell us please what it was.

B) i luv rp4 final it worked on 3 pcs i tryed and not one error ,i dont believe tihny is the devil lol.some people in here complaint 2 much when people make programs to help you for free why bat a eye.arent we here to help others learn etc.im sure tihny who u praised in other posts knows what hes doing .

sure tihny who u praised in other posts knows what hes doing .

Sure he knows what he does. And so do you, SmokeyJoint.

As for praising him in other posts, I remember that some people said I was flaming him with my questions in those few other posts I adressed to him or said I was crazy to suggest certain things. You must have some form of problem with your brain if you interpret those as praises.

Understandable if you read as you write.

eidenk, until you can come up with a better prgm I think you need to quit whining, it really doesn't become you, makes you sound like a jealous, sniveling little boy! I'd think better of myself & you should too.

Edited by randiroo76073

eidenk, until you can come up with a better prgm I think you need to quit whining, it really doesn't become you, makes you sound like a jealous, sniveling little boy! I'd think better of myself & you should too.

Excuse me randiroo but there is no jealousy in that. Reread my points please.

Tihiy has failed to answer as to why he did include that line (and I point out that some antivirus programs are blocking DOS batch scripts containing that deltree command).

Tihiy refuses to fix it (a 30 seconds job + time to reupload 4 MB) which means everyone who's going to install that will carry on losing their system backup files.

If those files aren't important for you because you reinstall your os each five minutes anyway that's not the case for others.

If you want to defend Tihiy on that point, well give me a good reason for the presence of this line that has nothing to see with his program. And give me also what good reason he has for not taking 1 minute to fix this script (deleting a single line).

You see me as a jealous, sniveling little boy but I can easily see you as an id*** who has lost all sense of discriminination.

Maybe you haven't grasped what we are speaking about here.

Edited by eidenk

i think the term your looking for is 'irreverent'. :P

and all of you calm the down. flaming, personal abuse etc is not tolerated under the forum rules.

and to be honest i think Plugs7 (and therefore eidenk i suppose) has a point.

the simple fact is went something like this arises the 'product' should be pulled or fixed.

Tihiy made it, so Tihiy should be able to explain why the entry's there, it's not rocket science.

Gape could show you why each part of the SP2 exists likewise MDGx with 98SE2ME.

Both would deal with a situation and a complaint post like this in a completely different manner

(and anyone whos been around the board awhile would recognize that)

all Tihiy is showing right now is a real lack of comparable class.

if it needs to go further (sigh) a (calm) PM to the senior MSFN admins and a click on the 'report' button under several of the (less than helpful) posts here might be more productive in spurring some more positive action from the forum member involved (rather than him purely being a smart a** in reply to legitimate complaints) that is if he wants MSFN to continue to promote his 'work' by stickying it in the forums.

Edited by miko

Tihiy should be able to explain why the entry's there

Elementary. System backups are deleted to prevent registry conflicts with old files which will be restored with restoring old Windows files and registry, coz RP3.5+ files are highly uncompatible with other system files. I'm agreed that this is unintellegent command to workaround several backup/restore errors, but i WON'T fix it in RP4.

- RP is ended.

- Better use RP3.6.

- It warns that product is dangerous and backup/restore is not reliable. Backup is NOT by default.

- This issue is not present in RPLite.

Edited by Tihiy

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

If it wasn't for people like eidenk, we wouldn't get ANYWHERE. As I have found out recently.

About the lack of 'class' of Tithiy's response, he wasn't dealt a very good hand to reply to. If there was NO warning about the danger of installing the RP, and about backups, etc it would be reasonable to expect anger. What really happened is that plugs7 through 'sheer bloodymind' ed slackness did the wrong thing. He didn't acknowledge the warning about installing RP - he would have fail-safe backed up if he did. The scale of the disaster was enormous (in his eyes) and this produced heaps and heaps of emotion - mainly anger would be my guess. And in my experience, given a choice between blaming yourself or blaming someone else, if you have a valid reason, you'll blame the other person and absolve yourself. And so we get a post that expresses just this. Miko made the point that Tithiy's belated explanation should have been first but again, in the context of the original post its not hard to see why Tithiy didn't bend over backwards to help plugs7 absolve himself of any wrong doing.

The reason for this post is to point out that there's a lot to be said about pursuing a higher quality of communication. Thank Che for the edit function ...

Tihiy should be able to explain why the entry's there

Elementary. System backups are deleted to prevent registry conflicts with old files which will be restored with restoring old Windows files and registry, coz RP3.5+ files are highly uncompatible with other system files. I'm agreed that this is unintellegent command to workaround several backup/restore errors, but i WON'T fix it in RP4.

If I understand well, registry backups are deleted because in case scanreg needs for one reason or another to restore an old registry (from before RP4) while RP4 is installed there will be conflicts as a post RP4 registry is not compatible with a pre RP4 one.

I thought that was indeed the reason but the fact is that uninstalling RP4 will leave you only with post RP4 registry backups which are not compatible with the normal files that are restored. Hence, because of that it will be impossible to uninstall RP4 properly should the need arise because of the absence of the old registry backups.

It would have been much more sensible to also backup the system backup folder by simply renaming it to, say, oldbckup rather than erasing it (which still can be done) :

"move %windir%\sysbckup %windir%\oldbckup" instead of "deltree /Y %windir%\sysbckup"

If it wasn't for people like eidenk, we wouldn't get ANYWHERE.
You're too kind with me soporific. I don't really deserve that.
You are the one acting churlish, yes, that's churlish. You've chased Tihiy around the forum now to the point you're becoming irrelevant, get a life!

True that I am sometimes (often ?) a tactless prick but usually not without a more or less valid (in my eyes) reason.

• 5 months later...

eidenk: "True that I am sometimes (often ?) a tactless prick but usually not without a more or less valid (in my eyes) reason."

:lol: -luv your last comment there!

I sometimes get (too?) emotional in my posts (like this one, lol), as well. :blushing: .. but again, usually for pretty good reasons...

-and a "disclaimer" note like Tihiy (and others...?) put in their products DOES NOT make up for lousy programming/design ethics/methods and lack of professional class. :} .. like a previous post mentioned in this thread, this stuff is not "rocket science", for gods' sake...

(Again, I generally like and applaud the "unofficial" projects and work, but come on, a little common sense should not be too much to ask... :blink: -you guys have put a LOT of time and effort into these things, so why not just a little (proportionately) more "safety" work, as well, so we can trust it and appreciate the care and concern for the risks we end users take with our beloved systems? -not to mention, it'd cut down on the angry/betrayed postings, too, lol )

>;]

[for example: deleting that sysbckup folder without at least backing it up! wow... such a simple consideration, whenever deleting stuff on other peoples' computers, just rename it or copy it, should be VERY obvious as a matter of simple respect...]

Edited by PsycoUnc