512MB DDR333 RAM

120GB 7200RPM Maxtor HDD

ALBTARON GF4 TI4200 128MB AGP8X

SB AUDIGY 2

ADSL 512KBITS CONNECTION

17INCH MONITOR

52X32X52 CDRW

Windows XP Professional SP2

I have been using Windows98SE for years and it is very fast in terms of overall OS performance. Only thing it crashes a lot. Now,last month,i removed 98,fresh install XP on my C: drive(partitioned as C: and D:,both converted to NTFS). Now,after installing XP,i notice it is much slower than 98 in terms of application performance and booting time. On 98,it takes 14 sec to boot while on XP,22 seconds!!! When I open small (10KB applications),the HDD churns away and loads the application-5 seconds later. I don't have many programs at startup(only ZoneAlarm and Avast!). Tweaked it using X-SETUP,GameXP,SpeedXP,Bootvis,crapcleaner,etc,etc. No viruses detected using Avast and no adware detected using Ad-aware. Despite all this,no performance increase in Windows XP AT ALL. I believe my system met the system requirements for XP though it might be not the top of the line hardware. Should i format my disks back to FAT32 and go back to Windows98SE?? Help?

Yes, nlite 4 sure and stick with XP without a doubt.

try turning off un-needed services via your Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services. Do a defrag via PerfectDisk v7+. Check your 'Start Up' apps with a cool neatfy tool called "AutoRuns" - (free!) Also running a simple prog like "RegSupremePro" would help....

:)

Edited by Blam-O!

you could turn off the windows restore feature, that could help increase some speed.

there's a few good tweaks available to turn off unnecessary services available on the web also

defrag the hard drive also, as I've seen that provide a much larger performance boost in XP than any other OS

I agree with the other posts on this thread. Stick with XP, learn the few things about the OS that will enable rapid performance increases from the OS. I doubt my XP setup is slower if not as fast as a regular Win 98 setup. I boot up in less than 15 sec...and applications turn on pretty **** fast on my setup as well...of course it is nLited....and it is a must have I think for any XP user. I shudder everytime at the poor saps who still dont nLite their machine and complain about their XP getting slower and slower and slower....over periods of time.

:thumbup Im no longer a nlite vigrin after making my first unattented it worked great.So i installed it and it performance well .pretty close to 98se but no bloat i think i got it down to 269mb keeping media player and luna themes.Since your better off with xp use fat 32 and nlite it check out forums in here...

Why do you want to go back to the stone age? XP for sure. Get use to the speed. It is not that bad.

Not to mention, a lot of the newer applications are written specifically for XP.

Just nLite your XP. The slowness will be gone. nLite is the SHAET!

Otherwise, turn off animations, cut down on startup applications, switch from resource hogs like Norton or other appz with GUIs for n00bs with huge graphical buttons and effects to seem fancy and bloated. Check out albator's site of standalone and freeware programs to replace your otherwise bloated software. Don't have 50 programs running at once. Don't use 5 or 6 programs for the same purpose. 4 antivirus programs all in stealth mode looking after your system files simultaneously, any other monitoring programs. Use Opera or Firefox and then you can get rid of your spyware tools and antivirus programs as long as you have common sense not to open bogus e-mails that look like reputable offers.

Win98 is old. We're more than halfway through 2005. Hell, Longhorn is in progress. Windows 98 is more than 7 years old! Out with the old, in with the new. Updated system files and code, etc. Especially after nLiting your install, the best OS ever because it feels like Linux (slim) and is still the world's leading OS. Bill you SUCK but XPnLited is **** good!

Edited by Jeremy