Product Key Question.

http://unattended.msfn.org/global/examples.htm

If you scroll down to where it shows the product key (this is under [userdata]), you'll see that it is all X's. I know thats just an example, but since this is a batch response file type and the ISO responds off the coding in those files, is it possible for me to use that key? And if this is possible, what happenes if I use a serial key that does come with Windows, will it respond with it or also take the serial key with it.

I'm not sure what your asking? You can use any key you want and if

it's the wrong one windows won't install. You'll get a prompt to

type in the right one. XXXX-XXXX... won't work if thats what your

asking.

Actually thats what I was asking, thanks for telling me. Is there a way to crack the cd so that in the future I wont need a serial key or it will automatically use the serial key for me?

This is not a "cracking" forum. However, if you have a legal copy of Windows XP and a legal CD key, you can enter it in place of the X's and it will be entered automatically. That's why it's there, and I don't know how that could possibly be any more clear.

If the serial is not correct, it will prompt you for a correct one. You cannot install Windows without a correct serial key.

NO CRACK DISCUSSION ALLOWED. That beig said, i'll take the benefit of the doubt and say you weren't asking for help...

The

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Is simply to represent a PLACEHOLDER for your actual CDKEY fold on the little yelllow/goldish sticker or the OEM sticker on your CPU. If you enter your's in place of thsoe X's, SETUP will use your CDKEY IF IT'S VALID! Think of the XXXXX's like a password box masks a password with *'s. It's simply protecting the CDKEY so people can't steal it.

so retail cds have x's there? my dell oem has an actual key, and my friends 2-years newer dell oem cd has the exact same key, this must be the "dell key" huh?

so retail cds have x's there?  my dell oem has an actual key, and my friends 2-years newer dell oem cd has the exact same key, this must be the "dell key" huh?

Is Dell using a volume license key? They shouldn't be.

Edited by Gee

Note:

read the post put to you by Alanoll, very slowly as it is described very clearly what the X's represent and mean.

Retails CD's have no representation for the CD Key as there is no winnt.sif file, hence it asks you for all details when you install it including the serial key.

Dell is slightly different to eveybody else - see the squllion other dell topics for specific details.

OiOldman

Boy am I having trouble with the Product key.

Most of my iso file works but it ALWAYS ASKS for the D** n product key.

Heres mt Unattended answer file.

Anybody spot glaring error?

[Data] 

AutoPartition=1

Repartition=No

WaitForReboot=No

[unattended]

Unattendmode = FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall = NO

TargetPath = WINNT

Filesystem = LeaveAlone

KeyboardLayout="United Kingdom"

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName = "Your User Name"

OrgName = "Your Organization Name"

ComputerName = "COMPUTER_NAME"

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=44

Dialing=Tone

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language=00000809

[GuiUnattended]

; Sets the Timezone to the Pacific Northwest

; Sets the Admin Password to NULL

; Turn AutoLogon ON and login once

TimeZone = "085"

AdminPassword = *

AutoLogon = Yes

AutoLogonCount = 1

OemSkipWelcome=1

;For Server installs

[LicenseFilePrintData]

AutoMode = "PerServer"

AutoUsers = "5"

[GuiRunOnce]

; List the programs that you want to lauch when the machine is logged into for the first time

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 8

XResolution = 800

YResolution = 600

VRefresh = 70

[Networking]

; When set to YES, setup will install default networking components. The components to be set are

; TCP/IP, File and Print Sharing, and the Client for Microsoft Networks.

InstallDefaultComponents = YES

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = Workgroup

I would also like it to just format NTFS

is this "Filesystem=*"?

I'm also trying to install with UK Language etc.

Have I the right codes etc?

Thanks

:o

so retail cds have x's there?  my dell oem has an actual key, and my friends 2-years newer dell oem cd has the exact same key, this must be the "dell key" huh?

I would've thought they do it because they can't make every cd have a different winnt.sif can they? They provide you with your own product key anyway, it's on the side of your case isn't it?

I would've thought they do it because they can't make every cd have a different winnt.sif can they? They provide you with your own product key anyway, it's on the side of your case isn't it?

They can use a volume key to setup the machine, and then just run SysPrep and initiate OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) so the end user still has to enter a valid license key.

I don't have a Dell, but my ThinkPad does not require a key, even if I use the recovery partition and blow away the hard drive.

What would be neat is if I can figure out how to create a hidden service partition like IBM and Dell.

Anyone know where to start? The boot sectors are not standard.

They don't use VLK's. They use a pre-activated key that's tied to the hardware (BIOS). If you were to use that key on another PC, it would:

A) Require you to activate the PC and

B) Not activate because the hardware is not the same as the one that key is linked to

*EDIT*

I always forget the smileys...

Edited by Jito463

Funny that you mention that....

I create mine using gdisk... a utility used with "Ghost" to create, hide, activate... The i used partition magic... had some issues with the booting as you mentioned....

And what do ya know :w00t: .... there is a button/menu to make a partition active....

WOW :yes:

and a menu to create a second boot partition, activate it, and hide it...

To bad you didn't look at the program first before you opened your mouth. :thumbup