657 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is better?

• Windows Xp Home
    • Windows Xp Pro
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Media Edition
    • Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition

I have to go with XP Pro w/SP2 right now. :yes:

I haven't tried 2K3 yet, but plan to in the next 6 months.

XP Pro w/no SP and SP1 would be next in line but SP2 is the clincher.

XP Home lacks too many things that I use in the home environment. :}

W2k w/SP4+ I would have to choose over XP Home even though it isn't on the list.

I have 2 ThinkPad T42 laptops and 2 desktops w/XP Pro SP2 and 2 desktops w/XP Home SP2 and I can't add the Group Policies or update some other security features that I want set with the Home edition. I feel like I am on a crippled machine. It is a couple steps above WinME, though :wacko: .

Rock on!

XP Pro SP2 is the way to go and will probably be the way to go for a long while. I'd love to try Server 2003, but have not been able to find the time/money to get a copy

Why don't you download the free trial of Win2K3 from Microsoft? That way you're not spending your money on something until you know you like it. (If you're willing to shell out lots of money... :P )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Sad, no one is voting for Windows XP Media Center Edition...  It's just as good as Professional, if fact it IS Professional!

The only feature you loose in Media Center is the ability to join a domain, which makes it cheaper than Professional and you get more cool stuff.  But there is a way to get it to join (no, it doesn't involve warez or cracks"), but you can't use the Media Center shell if you do.

Actually that is wrong about the domain. I prefer XP MCE and have 2 of them hooked up to log on to different domains. Unfortunately, my wife steals both laptops and takes them to her work and I get stuck working on the old non-portable tower. :angry: One of these days I will get one of those finger scanners and lock out a laptop for me to play with. :D

Windows XP Pro with the RAID-5 hack is godly.

I'm simultaneously in love with Windows Server 2003, but the two just don't compare. A server OS and a workstation OS do different things, and it's not quite fair to say that one is better then the other when the two aren't the same.

• 3 months later...

Win2kPro for personal. Like it better than XP Pro b/c XP has too much bloat. Clean install of Win2kPro SP4 is 450 MB. XP is 3.5GB. WTF is with the extra 3 GB?

Win2k3 Server if $ is no object.

@jcarle, What is the RAID5 hack?

Edited by saugatak