Application list

Adobe Reader 7.0.1

This also doesn't support 9x...

Unfortunately doesn't, and it is much better than 6.0.2. Maybe kernelXP project could help - there are only few simple functions not supported. Any progress with AR7 Tihiy?

Petr

Maybe kernelXP project could help - there are only few simple functions not supported. Any progress with AR7 Tihiy?

I've got it to load even w/o KernelXP with some simple enough modifications, but it fails to display EULA - looks like EULA module is checking OS and wants XP.

When version emulation will work, i'll give AR7 a try. :rolleyes:

it fails to display EULA

Sounds like a feature, not a bug :)

Currently I use Acrobat Reader 5.1 (it's much less bloated) or 6.0.3. Also I use "arspeedup" project.

Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1 is the last one to work under Win95, 98 FE & NT4. Acrobat 6.x requires Win98 SE (NOT FE), 2000, Millennium or XP/2003. I'm not going to get Acrobat 7. more bloated than versions 5.1 & 6.x. Currently I have Acrobat Reader v6.02 and have installed the 6.03 Update.

Recently released today or late yesterday---

New version of Opera browser available: 8.01

http://www.opera.com/download/

fixes a bunch of security problems and some display & javascript problems.

New version of Netscape browser available: 8.02

http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/default.jsp

this one should fix most of the crashing problems found in 8.0 & 8.01.

btw - Winamp 5.09 lite loaded less than a second on my WinME & WinXP machines [both using pentium 3 cpus]. updated release mentioned at the majorgeeks.com site which should fix some recent security problems.

Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1 is the last one to work under Win95, 98 FE & NT4.  Acrobat 6.x requires Win98 SE (NOT FE), 2000, Millennium or XP/2003.  I'm not going to get Acrobat 7.  more bloated than versions 5.1 & 6.x.  Currently I have Acrobat Reader v6.02 and have installed the 6.03 Update.

The size of my "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader" and "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader" folders is almost the same, about 85 MB for full install.

Adobe Reader 7.0.1 is much much faster than 6.0.3.

It requires Windows 2000 SP2+ or Windows XP.

Adobe Reader 6.0.3 works on Windows 98 FE fine, only the installer fails. There is very easy workaround - just copy kernel32.dll form SE to FE (surprisingly it works), then install and configure Adobe Reader 6, and then move back the original (FE) version of kernel32.dll.

Petr

Edited by Petr

What the hell with adobe! Use Foxit!  :realmad:

Foxit? And why? It displays documents much worse than Adobe Reader, the text is often almost unreadable.

And Foxit just caused total system crash due to unsufficient resources. :realmad:

No, thanks.

Petr

Acrobat 5.1 is alright for me. It loads significantly faster than version 6 and does not GDI crash the OS like 5.0. after 5 or 6 uses. Only problem is that it displays a compatibility warning box before displaying documents that have been created by Acrobat 6 and upwards. I haven't found an option to disable that.