Playstation 3 Specs

un4given1

I can't believe someone hasn't already posted this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4554025.stm

Can you say "Goodbye XBox 360!?"

Blu-Ray DVD...

HDTV Compatible...

7 Bluetooth controllers...

This thing is amazing.

There is more information at playstation.com of course.

I wouldn't really say "goodbye" to anyone or anything, actually. On the whole, the two systems are very comparable in specs, even being based upon the same PowerPC architecture. What this next generation is going to come down to (and to be fair, they ALL come down to this) is the *games*.

One thing I *will* say conclusively is that the PS3 is a LOT more attractive than the XBox 360.

Jason

two systems are very comparable in specs, even being based upon the same PowerPC architecture

your kidding, right?

Maybe you didn't check out the specs side by side...

Playstation has Bluetooth wireless controllers, allowing up to 7, XBox allows for 4 and they aren't Bluetooth.

Playstation has a Bluetooth wireless headset, Xbox does not.

Playstation uses Blu-Ray DVD technology, XBox is Dual Layer DVD.

Playstation has Flash Memory Card support, XBox does not.

Playstation has 256MB RAM running at 3.2Ghz and another 256 running at 700Hhz, XBox has 512MB at 700Mhz.

Playstation uses the much hyped Cell processor which is 7 processors in one, XBox appears to have "Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each "

Also, by PowerPC, do you mean Mac? I can't imagine you do because Microsoft (hello!?!) would not use a Mac OS to run their box.

two systems are very comparable in specs, even being based upon the same PowerPC architecture

your kidding, right?

Maybe you didn't check out the specs side by side...

Playstation has Bluetooth wireless controllers, allowing up to 7, XBox allows for 4 and they aren't Bluetooth.

Playstation has a Bluetooth wireless headset, Xbox does not.

Playstation uses Blu-Ray DVD technology, XBox is Dual Layer DVD.

Playstation has Flash Memory Card support, XBox does not.

Playstation has 256MB RAM running at 3.2Ghz and another 256 running at 700Hhz, XBox has 512MB at 700Mhz.

Playstation uses the much hyped Cell processor which is 7 processors in one, XBox appears to have "Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each "

Also, by PowerPC, do you mean Mac? I can't imagine you do because Microsoft (hello!?!) would not use a Mac OS to run their box.

Yes, as a matter of fact I DID look at them side by side.

PS3 Wireless bluetooth, 7 controllers. Cool feature, I like it. 4, still, is plenty. When was the last time you had more than 4 people playing all on teh same console? It's overkill and it's intention is simple: Just to say they've got it.

PS3 Wireless bluetooth headset. Oh come on, the existing Xbox *already* has one available, you can bet your butt there will be one available for 360 as well. Silly point!

PS3 Blue Ray *might* be a good idea, but maybe not. It's FAR from clear whether Blue Ray or HD-DVD will ultimately win out. While I'd have liked to see one of the possible standards in the new system, it's hardly a requirement. And really, what if HD-DVD wins the format war? There's Sony with egg on their face and a shiny PS3 with the word "BETA tape" on the side.

PS3 flash memory card support. What? The X360 has flash memory units, what the hell are you talking about?

PS3 Memory: Yeah, 256MB of 3.2Ghz memory is pretty slick. You notice, though, that the throughput numbers posted are almost exactly the same as on the X360? Why do you suppose that is? Either way, both systems have a total of 512MB memory. This isn't going to be a defining differentiator.

PS3 Cell Processor. What's it based off of? PowerPC architecture, JUST LIKE the XBox 360. The difference is that it's got the 7 simple-purpose SPU's and ONE primary core instead of 3 primary multi-threading cores. BOTH are based off of PowerPC (yes, the same chips used in Macintosh PC's) architecture. That's a FACT, look it up. And what does the Macintosh OS have to do with it? Just because they use the same CHIP doesn't mean they have to use the same OS! I suppose you assume that a PC *MUST* use Windows, eh? Or didn't you know that you can use Linux, Unix, BeOS or any of a dozen other OS's on the same processor that runs Windows?

The only thing you've managed to show here is your ignorance about computer hardware. It's FAR too early to claim a victory for either system at this point and it's absurd for you to claim otherwise.

Jason

The only thing you've managed to show here is your ignorance about computer hardware. It's FAR too early to claim a victory for either system at this point and it's absurd for you to claim otherwise.
Questioning my knowledge of computer hardware? I live in a Microsoft world... "PowerPC" to me means Macintosh's attempt to create a PC that would dual boot their OS and Microsoft's. I will be honest and tell you that I know NOTHING about Macintrash. I don't need to know anything about them. I do however know that the "cell" processor technology that Playstation is using is completely different than anything else out there. While Macintosh may have something similar it's not the same.
PS3 Wireless bluetooth, 7 controllers. Cool feature, I like it. 4, still, is plenty. When was the last time you had more than 4 people playing all on teh same console? It's overkill and it's intention is simple: Just to say they've got it.
The important part of this... BlueTooth.
PS3 Wireless bluetooth headset. Oh come on, the existing Xbox *already* has one available, you can bet your butt there will be one available for 360 as well. Silly point!
And my PS2 has a wireless controller... big deal. This is built in. No add on plug in parts that have to sit on your TV stand.
PS3 Blue Ray *might* be a good idea, but maybe not. It's FAR from clear whether Blue Ray or HD-DVD will ultimately win out. While I'd have liked to see one of the possible standards in the new system, it's hardly a requirement. And really, what if HD-DVD wins the format war? There's Sony with egg on their face and a shiny PS3 with the word "BETA tape" on the side.
You think that Nintendo's technology can be played on anything else? Who cares... It gives Sony the ability to place multiple DVD games onto one DVD.
PS3 flash memory card support. What? The X360 has flash memory units, what the hell are you talking about?
While it might offer the ability to use flash USB sticks, I see no information showing you can use SD, MemoryStick(Sony) or FlashCard like the PS3 will.
PS3 Memory: Yeah, 256MB of 3.2Ghz memory is pretty slick. You notice, though, that the throughput numbers posted are almost exactly the same as on the X360? Why do you suppose that is? Either way, both systems have a total of 512MB memory. This isn't going to be a defining differentiator.
It may not... but we will see...
PS3 Cell Processor. What's it based off of? PowerPC architecture, JUST LIKE the XBox 360. The difference is that it's got the 7 simple-purpose SPU's and ONE primary core instead of 3 primary multi-threading cores. BOTH are based off of PowerPC (yes, the same chips used in Macintosh PC's) architecture. That's a FACT, look it up. And what does the Macintosh OS have to do with it? Just because they use the same CHIP doesn't mean they have to use the same OS! I suppose you assume that a PC *MUST* use Windows, eh? Or didn't you know that you can use Linux, Unix, BeOS or any of a dozen other OS's on the same processor that runs Windows?
Based off of? Maybe... Different... Definately! You must have read something wrong... I never said any of that.

OOOOO don't forget to run out and buy one of those snap on faces for your shiny new XBox... That will be the deciding factor :) HAHA

Too early to claim victory... Well, They both posted "official" specs... a lot can be speculated from that, don't you think?

Let me give you a little bit of my background. Worked for Compaq building $100k servers. Worked in large corporate environments as PC tech and systems administrator, these companies including Liberty Mutual Insurance. Spent years before all of that building custom systems, probably having built over 1000. I am now Director of IT for a multi-million dollar company. Check the posts I have made over the last 2 years on this forum and many others... Same name on Bink.nu and OSNN.net (used to be NTFS.net) and Neowin.net. So, go sit home and wait for your subscription of "XBox 1337" to come so you can rush back here and quote your thoughts about what you have read. Be sure you bash my knowledge while you are at it... So, if you don't mind, I'm going to jump in my sports car, go home and sit on my Italian Leather furniture and watch my big screen TV... If I am as stupid as you might believe then I did a hell of a job BSing everyone on the way. I have been a computer hobbiest since I was 12... that's 14 years ago. I have read every manual that I have ever had access to. Now, I know you are probably going to come back and say what everyone else who does this says... "I don't care about your background" You know what... if you don't, then don't make ignorant comments!

Questioning my knowledge of computer hardware? I live in a Microsoft world... "PowerPC" to me means Macintosh's attempt to create a PC that would dual boot their OS and Microsoft's. I will be honest and tell you that I know NOTHING about Macintrash. I don't need to know anything about them. I do however know that the "cell" processor technology that Playstation is using is completely different than anything else out there. While Macintosh may have something similar it's not the same.

The world of computers is much more complex than "Microsoft/Macintosh". PowerPC has NOTHING to do with Macintosh nor any kind of "hybrid" Macintosh/Windows system. PowerPC is the processor architecture that *IBM* developed and Apple buys as the basis of its computers. Whether you like it or not, the Cell architecture is NOT "completely different than anything else out there", nor would you want it to be. It is DESIGNED on the BASIS of the PowerPC architecture, period. Its coding mechanisms will be similar to PowerPC, though with extensions for its specific design, of course. Like it or not, Cell is a VERY close cousin to the processor found in the Macintosh Computer. So is the CPU used in XBox 360, so is the CPU used in Revolution. There is no reason to be so averse to it, it's an efficient and intelligent CPU design.

The important part of this... BlueTooth.

Yes? And both systems use BlueTooth. Point?

And my PS2 has a wireless controller... big deal. This is built in. No add on plug in parts that have to sit on your TV stand.

What are you babbling about now? I'm sorry, but guess what? A headset is *necessarily* going to be something that "sits on your TV stand" when not in use. What would it be built into, your head? And incidentally, a bluetooth receiver would plug into the *controller*, it wouldn't sit on the TV stand. Now you're just being silly.

You think that Nintendo's technology can be played on anything else? Who cares... It gives Sony the ability to place multiple DVD games onto one DVD.

Oh, that's going to be the deciding factor, isn't it? Now they can put multiple DVD games on one disk. Woot! That sort of thing is a nicety and a rarity at best. Look at how many games are out for PS3 and XBox on DVD. How many of those come with more than one disk? Do you know? And as for Nintendo, what do they have to do with this? Can you stay on topic?

While it might offer the ability to use flash USB sticks, I see no information showing you can use SD, MemoryStick(Sony) or FlashCard like the PS3 will.

As far as I know it doesn't use SD, MemoryStick(Thank God) or CF. So what? You can plug any standard USB memory stick into it, and if you've got a USB adapter for your memory card (CF, SD, whatever), then poof! You're in business. Again, this is FAR from being a selling point. It's a "bragging rights" addition, pure and simple. Moreover, it won't do a lick of good for better *gaming*.

It may not... but we will see...

It won't, and 99.9% of end users don't even know what memory speed even *means*.

Based off of? Maybe... Different... Definately! You must have read something wrong... I never said any of that.

Never said any of what? That the Cell isn't PowerPC based? That it's "completely different"? Go read your own words again. You claim it's different than anything else out there. The fact is that it ISN'T. It's a variant of PowerPC architecture, plain and simple.

OOOOO don't forget to run out and buy one of those snap on faces for your shiny new XBox... That will be the deciding factor :) HAHA

Not for me, it won't, I think they're silly, but a painfully large number of people go for that kind of nonsense. Observe the mutlibillion dollar market for people who swap their *cell phone* faces for Chrissakes.

Too early to claim victory... Well, They both posted "official" specs... a lot can be speculated from that, don't you think?

You can speculate until the cows come home, it doesn't mean that anything is decided yet. If you went by specs alone, PS2 would have fallen off the face of the eart 4 years ago when XBox and Gamecube hit the market and b1tch-slapped its "emotion engine" performance.

Let me give you a little bit of my background. Worked for Compaq building $100k servers. Worked in large corporate environments as PC tech and systems administrator, these companies including Liberty Mutual Insurance. Spent years before all of that building custom systems, probably having built over 1000. I am now Director of IT for a multi-million dollar company. Check the posts I have made over the last 2 years on this forum and many others... Same name on Bink.nu and OSNN.net (used to be NTFS.net) and Neowin.net. So, go sit home and wait for your subscription of "XBox 1337" to come so you can rush back here and quote your thoughts about what you have read. Be sure you bash my knowledge while you are at it... So, if you don't mind, I'm going to jump in my sports car, go home and sit on my Italian Leather furniture and watch my big screen TV... If I am as stupid as you might believe then I did a hell of a job BSing everyone on the way. I have been a computer hobbiest since I was 12... that's 14 years ago. I have read every manual that I have ever had access to. Now, I know you are probably going to come back and say what everyone else who does this says... "I don't care about your background" You know what... if you don't, then don't make ignorant comments!

Well that's very cute, and I certainly appreciate the little tirade, but you'll understand if I don't believe you at all. I've been a Systems Engineer for over 15 years. I've worked for some of the world's largest firms including Siemens, Nestle, Boeing and several others. I've designed network architecture for thousands of users and today I'm responsible for the entirety of a multi-tiered active directory architecture serving the needs of thousands of users. I'll tell you what I don't find often in my position: IT directors with a snot-nosed punk attitude and foaming fanboi discussions about hardware that won't hit the market for 6-12 months. If there is one of us sitting and waiting for a "insert-console-here 1337" magazine, it's YOU. Perhaps you've managed to blow smoke up the asses of others, but I don't buy you for a second. No one as ignorant, flippant or just flat-out mouthy as you are would ever be an "IT Director" for anything but a tiny flim-flam operation of a company.

Peddle your ignorance and arrogance elsewhere, I'm not buying, boi.

Jason

I don't need to prove anything to you. I could care less if you believe me. I am 26 and have accomplished more than most people twice my age. I enjoy what I do. My posts all over the internet prove my knowledge. Want to know where my arrogance comes from? It comes from dealing with people like you. You take an obvious landslide and try to some how prove your point. It's all in the numbers. Also, You can rave about the XBox/PS2 war, but always remember the XBox had a full year of technology thrown into it after the PS2 was selling millions.

Is anyone else wondering why 7 controllers? I can see 2, 4, 6, and 8, but 7?

Ok, I've hardly ever needed more than 4 at once (could have used 8 in college), but still, why an odd number? Why not something even so that you can have equal teams, like:

2 teams / 4 players

4 teams / 2 players

Other than the new funny looking controllers (yes I think the PS2 ones are perfect) and space the PS3 will take up compared to a PSTwo I can't wait :)

i was just wondering how the new tekken would be seen on that console... :ph34r::blink::crazy::wub:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/...6_screen002.jpg

They have like a 10 sec trailer around. The graphics are freakin' amazing.

About the controllers, I agree with SomeoneElse. Seven??? 7 and 8 are both considered lucky numbers in Japan. I don't think I'll be too comfortable with the new controllers at first. With videogames, I want to be holding something in my hands, not holding onto something.