Major WinXP Sharing Issue / Annoyance

durex

I installed my XP with RyanVM's hotfixes and i still have the same problem.

So did kb895900 replace kb885250? Am i suppose to uninstall kb895900 now?

I wouldnt say 895900 replaces 885250 yet.. It might as it contains newer versions of most if not all the files in 885250. But, 895900 is a hotfix designed to fix the problems resulting from the install of the 885250 fix. 885250 is an official supported fix.. 895900 is a hotfix to solve the issues some people have had with win9x shares accessed by 2k/xp machines.

I would install 885250, as windows update suggest, and then 895900 if you have prblems getting to files shared on win 9x based machines.

Again, I can not confirm or denie that the hotfix is even effective for sure as I do not use any 9x machines at all for sharing or every day use. I looked for it for the sake that customers of the business I work for may need it in the future if they still use win 9x mixed with 2k/xp in their work place.

Edited by bilemke

Hi,

just to confirm, my host PC is running XP pro SP2.

The clients are running XP pro and home SP2 and all the ones that had the hotfix on it KB885250 had issues accessing some sub folders or files on the shared drives. Always the same files.

I did remove the fix on each of the clients and the problem is gone. I did this 3 times yesterday. I also reinstalled the fix on one unit and the problem was back again. I've disabled the automatic updates and do a manual update every second week (I disable this specific update until I'm sure there is a new update that fixes this problem.)

Did someone else try to just remove the hotfix?

Hi,

just to confirm, my host PC is running XP pro SP2.

The clients are running XP pro and home SP2 and all the ones that had the hotfix on it KB885250 had issues accessing some sub folders or files on the shared drives. Always the same files.

I did remove the fix on each of the clients and the problem is gone. I did this 3 times yesterday. I also reinstalled the fix on one unit and the problem was back again. I've disabled the automatic updates and do a manual update every second week (I disable this specific update until I'm sure there is a new update that fixes this problem.)

Did someone else try to just remove the hotfix?

So it does have a problem with non-9x systems too then.. Interesting.

For people who used RyanVM, only kb895900 was installed. kb885250 was considered "obsolete".

How do i uninstall kb885250?

Not sure I would call it obsolete.. But run this file (in invisible folder under windows dir) to remove it.

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB885250$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Oops.. didnt notice you used ryans pack and integrated it.. Nope.. No uninstall.. Just install the newer hotfix and it should replace the other files.

Edited by bilemke

For people who used RyanVM, only kb895900 was installed. kb885250 was considered "obsolete".

You would have to check with Ryan on this. However, my best guess is that you can't. My understanding of Ryan's update packs is that they don't install the hotfixes. Rather, the fixes are actually integrated into the source files on the CD. This, I believe, would make uninstalling them impossible. Do a check in your Add/Remove Programs with the checkbox for Show Updates checked. Any updates installed via Ryan's pack will not be listed. Any that have been installed since the OS was installed with Ryan's pack will be.

This topic is full of very interesting solutions and work arounds....

But I didn't see this one: (please don't flame me if I am wrong :P )

I too have had issues with WinXP Pro and Home sharring files and folders over a network. Even after checking everything 6 times, restarting all the PC's on the network, and even tried disabling and then re-enable the network, .... all without luck.

But this Quick Fix worked for me, and I tested it at work a few times too. Both have fixed the problem at Home and Work!!

Computer Info: (just in case)

~~~~~~~~~~

- I have 3 PC's linked together via a NetGear Firewall/Rounter using all CAT6 hardware.

- 2 PC's are WinXP Pro SP2 + current updates (the first PC has Win2003 Server). Also all 3 PC's have a software firewall as well.... can't be to shur these days. lol

(all 3 PC's have multiple user accounts with different permissions for each)

The Problem:

~~~~~~~~~

The server has all the sharred files and folders; games, music, back up files, ect....

The other two PC's connect to the server to play music, copy over files and what not depending on the users right.

The server has all the info right? Lets say PC 1 is the server. Well PC 2 happens to get currpt or someone does a really stupid thing forcing me to re-ghost that PC. After ghost is finished and windows boots up again, that PC can no longer access the Server???? What the *&^$**$T*% is up with that. When I made the Ghost Images of each PC, all settings where done correctly and fully functional, including the network settings and security for each user. But know it does not work? The PC I just ghosted sees that a server has files and folders to share, but has no access to them.??? this is a glitch in Windows if you ask me.

The Quick Fix:

~~~~~~~~~

- Go to "sharring and security...." on one of your shared folders.

- Un-share the folder completely.

- Log Off. Then Log On.

- Go back to the folder you just Un-shared, and simply "share it" agian the way you had it before.

- Log Off. Then Log On once more.

* Works everytime for me.!!!!! :thumbup:thumbup

Hope this helps

my 2 cents worth, if worth anything.... :D

You would have to check with Ryan on this. However, my best guess is that you can't. My understanding of Ryan's update packs is that they don't install the hotfixes. Rather, the fixes are actually integrated into the source files on the CD. This, I believe, would make uninstalling them impossible. Do a check in your Add/Remove Programs with the checkbox for Show Updates checked. Any updates installed via Ryan's pack will not be listed. Any that have been installed since the OS was installed with Ryan's pack will be.

Holy christ... I found this solution (removing that kb hotfix) as one of my 1st searches, before even starting this thread! but because I didnt see it under my add/remove progs I figured it didnt apply to me (I almost even referenced it in my 1st post, but again, didnt think it applied to this situation)

I use the RyanVM pack and just didnt even put 2 and 2 together to think that the hotfixes integrated from his pack wouldnt show up there. dammit!

So someone clear this up for me... if I used the RyanVM pack is there a hotfix that needs to be removed or since he didnt actually include the kb885250 hotfix, my problem something entirely different.

Thanks... and hopefully we're making some headway on this.

Hi Folks,

Did a clean install with RyanVM pack and got the same problem as with the hotfix, so something is still not right.

If someone has the kb895900 fix I would like to try and reinstall it over kb885250 and see if it really fixes the issue.

From what I did read kb895900 fixes kb885250 if installed but to my understanding kb895900 in not included in the RyanVM pack?

Can someone confirm?

Theses are the files included in the kb885250 hotfix

The English version of this security update has the file attributes that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005:

File Name Version Date Time Size Folder

Cscdll.dll

28-Oct-2004

01:29

SP1QFE

Mrxsmb.sys

19-Jan-2005

03:51

SP1QFE

Rdbss.sys

12-Oct-2004

16:22

SP1QFE

Mrxsmb.sys

19-Jan-2005

04:26

SP2GDR

Mrxsmb.sys

19-Jan-2005

03:51

SP2QFE

Can anyone confirm my solution posted earlier?

Might have been a good idea to post a link or a brief description. ;) I had to read back to find out what your solution was. I'm not experiencing this trouble myself, so unfortunately I can't confirm or deny.

Here's the post, for those who are able to confirm/deny:

...I simlpy went to the root of my HD in my computer (C:\) . Then I selected all the FOLDERS (not files) and right clicked and went properties, then clicked on the sharing and security tab. A Pop warning comes up about RESETTING all the permissions again and i clicked yes...

...I simlpy went to the root of my HD in my computer (C:\) . Then I selected all the FOLDERS (not files) and right clicked and went properties, then clicked on the sharing and security tab. A Pop warning comes up about RESETTING all the permissions again and i clicked yes...

Can anyone confirm my solution posted earlier?

This has been covered numerous times throughout this thread... its not a permissions issue.

... and Pat, Im not sure what youre asking there.

Edited by durex

Durex,

If you could check your system and see if you have the version of files listed by the kb885250 hotfix, we could then try to narrow down the files that have been updated or that are still part of the "old" update.

Unfortunatly I don't have a testing unit left for the next 2 weeks so I can't do more work on the RyanVM update. :no:

I would just like to add that I had this exact problem... both machines having Windows XP Prof SP2 and all patches.

I spent about 10 hours total trying to fix it, and low and behold my WIFE found this thread!!

Thanks to all...

Here was my problem:

-The HOST computer had the files/folders that I wanted to see.

-The REMOTE computer could not see certain random folders on the host machine when a drive was mapped, regardless of the drive letter, whether or not NETBEUI was installed, or if I used IP address or hostname.

The SOLUTION, as found on this site, was:

-To uninstall the hotfix 885250 from the REMOTE computer.

Uninstalling this hotfix from the HOST computer did nothing.

Thanks again to all for this thread... you really helped me out.

Best Regards,

Jdogg

Well, I just re-formatted my host pc without using the RyanVM pack and didnt include kb885250 in the hotfixes applied. tested from other pcs on my network and same problem.

saw jdoggs post, uninstalled kb885250 on one of the Remote pcs and sure enough....................... success!!!!!

Holy christ. I think after all of this, we may have stumbled upon the actual solution here!!

Everyone who has been experiencing this issue..

Goto Add/Remove Programs, check off the 'Show Updates' box and look for Windows XP Hotfix - KB885250 and Remove it. It'll probably bark about how some things may not work, click ok and reboot once its complete.

Perform this on every 'Remote' PC which had issues trying to access your shares and post back your results.

NOTE: You may want to take a System Restore snapshot prior to removing this update. I didnt and Ive yet to see any repurcussions (sp?), but MS usually puts critical updates out there for a reason.

I truly hope that this solution works for everyone else experiencing this EXTREMELY annoying problem and want to again thank EVERYONE who contributed info to this thread.

You guys rock!