Major WinXP Sharing Issue / Annoyance

durex

Hey guys... just a follow up.

I am still able to get to everything like it said two posts ago... but SOMETIMES when I click on some of the subfolders I get the error:

"Z:\pictures\trips refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network...."

If I try a few times... or more likely just wait a few seconds and click again, I get in??? Freaking Microsoft. I tell ya. If it is not one thing its another.

Any ideas?

Well, it seems at long last we have found a solution to this problem. I will have to file this away somewhere so that if and when the problem crops up for me again, I will be able to solve it. Let me reiterate durex's thanks to all who contributed on this. And a big thanks to durex himself for finally getting frustrated enough to start it. :P

Just to confirm, KB885250 installed on the client PC (the one from which the shares are being accessed) seems to be the cause of the missing or invisible files. Has anyone tested whether (re)installing KB885250 on the host PC makes any difference? Just want to make sure all possible scenarios have been covered.

Cheers.

Hey guys... just a follow up.

I am still able to get to everything like it said two posts ago... but SOMETIMES when I click on some of the subfolders I get the error:

"Z:\pictures\trips refers to a location that is unavailable.  It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network...."

If I try a few times... or more likely just wait a few seconds and click again, I get in???  Freaking Microsoft.  I tell ya.  If it is not one thing its another.

Any ideas?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this mad be an unfortunate side-effect of removing KB885250 from the client PC. Is anyone else experiencing similar difficulty?

NOTE:  You may want to take a System Restore snapshot prior to removing this update.  I didnt and Ive yet to see any repurcussions (sp?), but MS usually puts critical updates out there for a reason.

"Repercussions," just for the record. ;)

Edited by Cartoonite

Well, just for giggles... since you asked Cartoonist... I reinstalled the update 885950 to see if it reproduced the problem... and it DID!

So that update won't be installing on my computers anymore.

No I just have to figure out my other error.

I am better off than I was before, but I still have to click several times before being able to access my data and that kinda ticks me off.

Anyway, I am gonna try reinstalling SP2 to see if that fixes it.

-Jdogg

Well, just for giggles... since you asked Cartoonist... I reinstalled the update 885950 to see if it reproduced the problem... and it DID!

Was it the host PC or the remote PC that you re-installed KB88590 on? You don't specify and it is the host PC specifially that I am interested in since I believe someone has already mentioned that reinstalling the fix on the remote PC caused the files to disappear again.

Is there a way to 'undo' this hotfix on machines that were setup with ryanvms update pack slipstreamed?

Well, unless someone has come up with a better response...

For people who used RyanVM, only kb895900 was installed. kb885250 was considered "obsolete".

How do i uninstall kb885250?

You would have to check with Ryan on this. However, my best guess is that you can't. My understanding of Ryan's update packs is that they don't install the hotfixes. Rather, the fixes are actually integrated into the source files on the CD. This, I believe, would make uninstalling them impossible. Do a check in your Add/Remove Programs with the checkbox for Show Updates checked. Any updates installed via Ryan's pack will not be listed. Any that have been installed since the OS was installed with Ryan's pack will be.

"Hey guys... just a follow up.

"Z:\pictures\trips refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network...."

If I try a few times... or more likely just wait a few seconds and click again, I get in??? Freaking Microsoft. I tell ya. If it is not one thing its another.

Any ideas? "

Could it be your antivirus? Try to disable it for a few seconds or the thumb preview as it seems to happen on a photo folder???

Pat57,

I disabled my AV services and also deleted all thumbs.db files, as well as made the "details" view the default on all folders on that drive. However, I still get the error.

Oh well. This error is sorta unrelated to this topic though. I will continue looking for that specific error. Thanks!