GAIM vs TRILLIAN

Ctwizzy

Ok so I use MSN and Yahoo as I have friends on both, but MSN uses 11MB of RAM and Yahoo 21MB of ram.

Yeah, Yahoo is very resource hungry. You'll note that version 6 is far worse than version 5 with this. One of the reasons is the skinning in version 6. Use the classic skin and you'll notice it'll be a little better.

MSN also uses Java im told which further increases the amount of ram used (kind of dont believe MS would use Suns language tho)

Are you sure that you aren't confusing Java with Flash here? The newer MSN Messenger releases make use of Flash.

Note that you can turn off unnecessary components, which significantly speeds up the loading of Trillian ;)

As with all IM clients out there you should always turn off the bells and whistles that you don't need. But yes, the plugins for Trillian have an enormous impact on loading it. If you don't need the IRC plugin don't load it, etc. This makes a big diff for sure. :)

rotjong

I use Trillian, but i stuck with version 2.035 as it is stable, you need to download the new msn.dll but otherwise it's great.

For anyone interested, 3.1 is not stable at all, would not run my older skin properly and crashed repeatedly on my puter so i took it off and wont be going back anytime soon

I've been using Trillian 3.1 (not pro) on my laptop now for about 3 months and my biggest complaint is how slow it makes startup when i let it have autorun

Trillian Preferences > Plugins. Uninstall the plugins in accordance to what protocols you use. Speeds the startup process up quite a bit. Looking around in programs helps sometimes. ;)

WotC -

Yeah every thing was updated to most current, but the problem has been solved...needed to add a check next to ssl or some thing like that for the MSN dll. So alls good again. :)

Ghostrider -

I disagree with you about stablity...trillian 3.1 crash's maybe every 3 days...so its fairly stable, and has yet to nuke any data. :) Also I have yet to run trillian plan jane so the crash's could be caused by a misbehaving plug-in...also I think the skinning format has changed from 2.x to 3.x so not running your prior builds skin should not be some thing to hold against it.

Any ways if one likes lots of toys, trillian is the one to go with 2.x or 3.x...if you just need some thing to do multi IM then GAIM fits the bill nicely. tho those are the only multi IM app's I've ever spent any time with. ;)

WotC -

<snipped>

Ghostrider -

I disagree with you about stablity...trillian 3.1 crash's maybe every 3 days...so its fairly stable, and has yet to nuke any data. :) Also I have yet to run trillian plan jane so the crash's could be caused by a misbehaving plug-in...also I think the skinning format has changed from 2.x to 3.x so not running your prior builds skin should not be some thing to hold against it.

Maybe i should have said that version 3 is completly new and not an upgrade from version 2 as non of the old skins are compatible, but some will work, some of the older plugins will not work either. As yet there does not appear to be an abundance of upgraded skins or plugins and as i use both then version 3 will not be added to my puter. could i recommend it to a new user looking for multi IM software, of course..!! will i be using it... No.!! not for some time yet as i can't use skins and plugins i use now.

BTW, my version 2 doesn't crash so version 3 crashing every 3 days to me means NOT STABLE. :whistle:

<snipped>

hmm why so hostil?

I did NOT say every 3 days it crashed, I said about every 3 days...some times 2 days...some times two weeks. I also said what i'm running is modified, so that also should be taken into account when factoring in stablity.

Most the skins I recall from 2.x blew, the ones I've seen thus far for 3.x look nice...plus if one really needed a 2.x skin to work with 3.x it would take all of what 3 hours in photoshop and a text editor to do the port.

Plug-in's so far all the ones that I've had any interest in at all work fine with 3.x...tho your interest is bound to differ from mine.

2.x is nice...but it wasn't till 3.x rolled out that I decided to crack open my wallet.

trillian 3.1 is nice but the thing that annoys me the most with it is that it creates HUGE im windows, when im using 1024x768 one window nearly takes up half of my screen! anyone know how to fix this??

hmm resize the windows..and change the toolbar icon settings...probably a few other things tha could be done.

Hehe of course one could throw money at the problem and get a bigger monitor and run a higher rez. ;)

Well here is a custom Avatar pack, size ranges from 48x48 to 100x100 in GIF, JPG, and PNG formats.

They are archived in 7zip format, and there is a little over 2,200 of them, needless to say there is a wide selection to choose from.

[link]

Also if one would like to keep IM native emoticons.

[link]

Or if one wants some really fancy ones.

[link]

BigDaddy5__s_Smiley_Pack_Final_by_SimperPimpin.jpg

hmm why so hostil?

I did NOT say every 3 days it crashed, I said about every 3 days...some times 2 days...some times two weeks. I also said what i'm running is modified, so that also should be taken into account when factoring in stablity.

Most the skins I recall from 2.x blew, the ones I've seen thus far for 3.x look nice...plus if one really needed a 2.x skin to work with 3.x it would take all of what 3 hours in photoshop and a text editor to do the port.

Plug-in's so far all the ones that I've had any interest in at all work fine with 3.x...tho your interest is bound to differ from mine.

2.x is nice...but it wasn't till 3.x rolled out that I decided to crack open my wallet.

Sorry for the delay in replying.. and I apologise if i seemed hostile, it was not intended to be..

I use Dark Bevel and Aikon 2 skins, and your right, the rest are not so hot, having said that the 3.x versions don't smack me in the face either... :)

I will of course keep and eye on the progression of 3.x but i'm staying with 2.x for now.