Anti virus software.

raza

Hey everyone which one do u think is the best anti-virus?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Hey everyone which one do u think is the best anti-virus?

• Norton
    • Mcafee
    • Panda
    • Antivir
    • Others plz mention below.

NOD32 is considered the best according to my standard for 5 reasons

1-Cheap-Price

2-Speedy scanner

3-Excellence virus detecting engine

4- Get your support question in a speedy way.

5-Use less computer resources

No, i don't work for nod32. I have used all your mentioned antivirus software and this one is number 1

snap!

I've used Norton and McAfee at home and I use AVG at work.

AVG really slows the computer down when it's running.

Norton and McAfee were adequate, but I've recently been using ZoneLabs Internet Security and I love it. No computer slow downs. Iv'e been using it for three months now and it does everything Norton and McAfee do for alot less money.

I've used Norton and McAfee at home and I use AVG at work.

AVG really slows the computer down when it's running.

Norton and McAfee were adequate, but I've recently been using ZoneLabs Internet Security and I love it. No computer slow downs. Iv'e been using it for three months now and it does everything Norton and McAfee do for alot less money.

...Look closer. Zone uses eTrust. Check your services list. iSafe, the AV service, is labelled as by eTrust (I think, that's from memory anyhow.)

At work we've installed NAV02-NAV04, then when they wouldn't give us replacements in a reasonable time for ones whose serials were cracked, we switched to McAfee 04-05 (for profit reasons- we got a small business deal with McAfee, thus we pay minimally for OEM software as long as we install it.)

Norton is huge. Unbelievably huge. And grotesque to take off and put back on. BUT that doesn't mean it doesn't do a good job. I liked it when we used it. We have Symantec 8.0 on our tech system to dismount and scan HDD's with. At home, I used NIS05 (ugh, my mother downloaded it) on an older computer, and it's a beast. I do like NAV without NIS, though. I use McAfee Enterprise 8.0i on my rig, because it's light. Before that I used Zone Labs, and before that NAV05. Zone is light, but I don't trust it. I use AVG on another system, which is nice, but I don't use the system often enough to give it a plus-or-minus rating. It seems to keep out the bad stuff.

Now, at work, we use McAfee 05, which is a royal PITA to put on for us (requiring numerous reboots as well as a user/pw, which is a pain to get from our customers). Norton was just click-it-and-go.

From a tech's POV, Norton>McAfee. For my own use, I haven't been using McAfee Enterprise for long enough to judge.

• 4 weeks later...
NOD32 is considered the best according to my standard for 5 reasons

1-Cheap-Price

2-Speedy scanner

3-Excellence virus detecting engine

4- Get your support question in a speedy way.

5-Use less computer resources

No, i don't work for nod32. I have used all your mentioned antivirus software and this one is number 1

snap!

Snap X 2!!! :yes:

NOD32 = :thumbup;):D

I said before that I use NOD32, and I still do - it's still the best IMO.

But I've been trying out a number of other AV programs...

F-prot interested me since I heard that it's super light on resources (only ~5-8MB RAM used). Does it really work as well as another "full-bodied" anti-virus? I was impressed when I installed it in VMWare, that it was so simple, but I'm kinda sketchy on its effectiveness.

BitDefender seems like a good alternative as well. It comes with anti-spam and a firewall as well, and I didn't notice any lag doing anything in VMWare. So far so good.

As for Kaspersky... it may have the best definitions... but ****! is it ever slow! On-demand scans take just as long as Norton and for general usage it slows things down terribly. Good for a backup, on-demand scanner if you ever run into trouble, but not as a real-time scanner... blech!

I also tried Panda... seems too bloat and "pretty" for me. It's trying to be too much like Norton.

I use Norton For all my own machines, does the job nicely, loads of protection, doesnt bug ya blar balr blar, it rocks...

We use Sphos on our network at work, education board supply it, we just use it, its ok i guess, I also use AVG on my work laptop, free and easy to use, basic protection really.

I wouldn't use anything but NOD32. In the past I've used McAfee, Norton, Panda, AVG and even Avast (when no other was available for x64), but NOD32 is the best one I've used by far. And now that NOD32 has been released for x64 (beta, but it works great), I'm set all around. :)

Avast

There is a free version for non-commerical use. Takes less resources than Norton, incremental download of signature files at least once a day if connected to internet, has kept me virus and trojan free, has excellent boot-time scan for those hard to remove viruses. Has a repair database, scans email -- great program!

in general it comes down to Preference, thank god for being human and having the ability to choose as to which is best for you.

In my professional career as a techincian, I haven't ever seen Norton, or McAfee do aything except waste resources & memory.

I have heard good things about NOD32, however I have been using the free edition of AVG for 6 years and I've never had a virus do anything in the way of damage to my system. 85% of my client base runs AVG without issues, I have installed the Professional version on my business clients machine, and also the network edition.

IMPO Polls on "what is the best" is pure bulldroppings, because everyone is going to have thier own opinion, and their own preference, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Edited by Pantharen

• 10 months later...