Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

8 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

What is your GPU? Have you tried all USB ports? Try enabling/changing all USB/Legacy options in the BIOS.

Thanks MrMateczko!

7950GT 512MB / Yes, all back ports / Yes, I have tried all combinations and currently using this:

Legacy USB Support = ENABLED
USB Function = ENABLED
USB 2.0 Controller Mode = HiSpeed (its not possible to adjust this option in this BIOS)
BIOS EHCI hand-off = ENABLED

Edited by duga3

4 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Semi-random idea, but if Ps/2 works fine, have you tried IF (no guarantee) a Ps/2 mouse/keyboard splitter works?

jaclaz

HTB15NB0SVXXXXcSXFXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg?size=3

Thanks jaclaz! Do you mean this exact type of splitter as picture above? If yes, I dont have it but I can buy it.

I would prefer to use USB peripherals over USB though, wishful thinking I know :) 

@MrMateczko Hmmm, I cant seem to be able to get that going but there was no error/BSOD so I am probably doing something wrong, I have done this:

1. Used WinRar to open latest U98SESP3.exe and from within it the SP3.CAB file from which I have obtained U98SEUSB.EXE
  2. On the retro rig, I have booted into WXP, connected USB stick and saved the U98SEUSB.EXE file onto my FAT32 D: drive which is accessible under W98 as well
  3. Restored a fresh partition of W98 with RLoew RAM patch already applied
  4. Disconnected all USB devices. Only PS/2 keyboard remains connected now.
  5. Booted into the W98 partition
  6. Pressed ESC during all driver prompts during W98 boot
  7. Copied U98SEUSB.EXE from D: to desktop
  8. Installed U98SEUSB.EXE from desktop, selected Windows drivers (not VIA) in the installer
  9. Connected USB mouse
  10. Reboot
  11. Pressed ESC during all driver prompts during W98 boot (there was nothing about USB)
  12. Mouse not working (not getting detected)

In Device Manager, Other Devices have 2x PCI Universal Serial Bus and Mouse as PS/2. If I view Properties or try to remove the 2 other devices, it freezes (in safe mode too). I have also tried to finish the driver prompts during boot now, did not help.

edit:

this is from my (months old) notes on nusb installation:

In Device Manager remove 3 unrecognized things, 1 is Unknown Device and the other two are PCI/USB something something (PCI Universal Serial Bus?).

Wondering how did I manage to do that when it freezes every time I try to remove any of these 3... But I remember those freezes, perhaps I just need to keep trying over and over and hope it will not freeze at some point.

Edited by duga3

8 hours ago, duga3 said:

Thanks jaclaz! Do you mean this exact type of splitter as picture above? If yes, I dont have it but I can buy it.

I would prefer to use USB peripherals over USB though, wishful thinking I know :) 

Yes, that kind, actually the common ones are coloured, example:

https://www.startech.com/eu/Cables/Serial-Parallel-PS-2/PS-2-Cables/6in-PS2-Keyboard-Mouse-Splitter-Cable-Adapter~KYC1MF

Green by convention is mouse, purple by convention is keyboard.

The issue is that they may (or may not) work on a given motherboard. :unsure: , it depends on the specific way it was cabled, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port

the port on the motherboard may be cabled/designed for "dual PS/2" or for "normal, single PS/2" no way to know, and - to further complicate the matter - I believe that even splitters are not all the same. :( 

jaclaz

Thanks Jacklaz! I will keep this in mind as an alternative before scrapping if I wont get USB to work properly.

I was now able to install the USB drivers this way:

- Used WinRar to open latest U98SESP3.exe and from within it the SP3.CAB file from which I have obtained U98SEUSB.EXE
- On the retro rig, I have booted into WXP, connected USB stick and saved the U98SEUSB.EXE file onto my FAT32 D: drive which is accessible under W98 as well
- Restored a fresh partition of W98 with RLoew RAM patch already applied
- Disconnected all USB devices. Only PS/2 keyboard remains connected now (a must have)
- Booted into the W98 partition
- Pressed ESC during all driver prompts during W98 boot
- Boot, escape all driver prompts
- Copied U98SEUSB.EXE from D: to desktop
- Installed U98SEUSB.EXE from desktop, selected Windows drivers (not VIA) in the installer
- Boot into BIOS and disable USB
- Boot into safe mode and remove 3 things. If it freezes, simply reboot and repeat until successful (can easily take around 10 reboots sometimes). Always click Properties first and give the computer a few seconds to warm up between each click (could be placebo). Start removing the 3 things from bottom of the list of unknown devices going up. These 3 things will not necessarily be on the bottom of the list so look around.
- Boot into BIOS and enable USB
- Connect USB mouse (and no other USB devices! just mouse!)
- Boot, escape all driver prompts EXCEPT anything USB related which you install/finish while clicking YES when asked if you want to "keep the newer file".
- When on W98 desktop plug in USB keyboard and install/finish while clicking YES when asked if you want to "keep the newer file".
- When on W98 desktop plug in USB flash stick drive (mass storage device) and install as above or simply verify if it works fine straight from the start (did for me)

Now that being out of the way, I am still stuck in a driver hell that is W98 because I cant seem to be able to install NVIDIA FX1300 drivers now (worked fine before). I have tried various drivers, both EXE and manual HAVE DISK method, both normal and safe mode, nothing... It appears as everything installed okay but its either not working or OS auto-reboots upon startup. Its probably a HW conflict (IRQ? addressing?) and I dont have any experience with that. Hopefully I will get that going eventually and will report back if these new USB drivers actually fixed the ingame issues I was having or not.

Edited by duga3

Okay, I have managed to install the NVIDIA drivers now. It was a silly mistake, I did not change "MPS and ACPI MADT ordering" value from "MODERN" to "LEGACY" in BIOS. As you may already know, the former is for XP+ which I am also running and having it set incorrectly will cause (random) issues.

How did the new USB drivers go you ask? Well, they just work, its amazing! No frame drops, nothing. Mass storage still works as well. So huge thank you @MrMateczko for your help with this issue and @PROBLEMCHYLD for the actual drivers! Cheers! :)

Edited by duga3

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 5:38 PM, jaclaz said:

Yes, that kind, actually the common ones are coloured, example:

https://www.startech.com/eu/Cables/Serial-Parallel-PS-2/PS-2-Cables/6in-PS2-Keyboard-Mouse-Splitter-Cable-Adapter~KYC1MF

Green by convention is mouse, purple by convention is keyboard.

The issue is that they may (or may not) work on a given motherboard. :unsure: , it depends on the specific way it was cabled, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port

the port on the motherboard may be cabled/designed for "dual PS/2" or for "normal, single PS/2" no way to know, and - to further complicate the matter - I believe that even splitters are not all the same. :( 

jaclaz

From my experience with these splitter-cables, it also depends on the chipset of the MoBo: Very often only Laptops have a working implementation, as it was there where space on the sides was scarce, and these cables provided a way to use them on the desktop, with a big keyboard, mouse and monitor attached. That was before docking-stations came up to be the latest.

rloew commented on this as well, having made the same experience (and then adding some arcane knowledge, as usual).

In the end, the cables i had never enabled me to install on a system on which i could not without, so i finally got rid of them.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with USB a A7N8X2.0 Deluxe Board (Nforce2 Chipset). When installing the USB Host Controller drivers, the system immediately stops USB funtionality. I have to boot into safe mode, deinstall NForce2 USB driver in the device manager and delete the USBEHCI.SYS from Windows\System32\DRV\ to prevent reinstalling them after reboot. My USB mouse and keyboard will work that way, but I think I can't use the updated USB Stack.

Any idea to fix that?