Who Uses Winme ?

cypher_soundz

:hello: hi 98 user /xp user .ived used me countless times with 100%success no horror stories it is faster better performance i cant knock it .in my research ived found that usually it doe or doesnt like certain hardware but ive never had these problems. i have it installed on my moms old P2-400 dell no problems after a year.

The only reason I've reverted to 98SE is, that Me cannot exit to DOS, and I want to do that sometimes.

Just for the record, Windows ME is patchable, to restore real mode, there are at least 3 or 4 ways to do it:

http://www.mvps.org/dts/WinME_DOS/Win-ME.htm

http://www.coease.com/dosfix.htm

http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/

jaclaz

correct jaclaz!

I've told that to all those who oppose WinME simply because real-mode DOS booting is removed. But no, they don't accept it. :lol:

But please note, that putting back real-mode into WinME will take-away many speed/performance benefits:

- quick boot

- lower memory usage

- immune from MBR/DOS viruses

All the above benefits disappear.

Well - I know I shouldn't exit to DOS.  I don't even have a valid excuse for it.  :blushing:

I just remembered why I like to exit to DOS - I use a special tool to switch between OS'es (and hiding/unhiding partitions), and it doesn't run from within 9x. The 16 bit version requires "pure" DOS, and the 32-bit version requires NT.

Thanx jaclaz and modicr for the links - VERY interesting stuff :yes:

rjz, I don't understand why Microsoft abandoned Me the way they did either. :blink:

I used ME for four, nearly five years. I never had any problems with it really. Tweaked it and disabled System Restore and PCHealth remover (look for System Restore Remover Pro) and it worked perfectly.

So, as evident, ME is not quite such a bad OS. In fact, disabling of some extra features (yeah, only 2) is all it takes to get it work good.

But...... where were all of you whenever winme got bashed around (on the forum) by win98 fans? :(

lol

So, as evident, ME is not quite such a bad OS.  In fact, disabling of some extra features (yeah, only 2) is all it takes to get it work good.

But......  where were all of you whenever winme got bashed around (on the forum) by win98 fans? :(

lol

Since the end of December I've been trying to sort problems with a hard drive on a Windows XP Pro pc. ;)

• 2 weeks later...