If Microsoft forced .NET Passports?

ChrisPS

So you would avoid using the new operating system and stay with the one you have? Thats interesting. I guess forcing of things like TCPA and Palladium needs to be carefully planned and also .NET otherwise I guess alot of people would move to either remaining with Windows 2000/XP or it could create a big Linux movement.

The only thing I can see making Microsoft fall is a missunderstanding from their Maketting department but I am sure they have that covered.

Although M$ has **** near unlimited funds...they cannot force anyone to use their product..if they ever pulled a move like forcing the use .net passport or any other application, people would begin to move away from such intrusive tacticts and either stick with current windows versions or even jump ship and move to linix.....with its current devolpment linix is gaining on the usablity of Winodows, and for M$ to pull a move like this, it would only increase the popularity of the underdog..

=Drew

They changed their stance on the windows media issue with burning your CD's. And they ARE terrified of linux, so guess they will do a lot more to please us and a lot less to annoy us right now.

Besides, Mandrake and Red Hat both look pretty cool now, some nice features, and damned powerfull, oh yeah they are free too, compete for my money M$ or i walk :)

Yes even Microsoft need to be careful with what they do, just look at Media Centre, Pauls comments about it having a revamp and adding in the burning and sharing feature for DVD's is one bit of proof that they are taking notice of the consumer more and more.

Ref:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo...center_copy.asp

Point from Pauls site:

Throughout the development of Windows XP Media Center Edition (XP MCE, see my review for more information), Microsoft said that the system's digital video recording (DVR) capabilities could not be used to copy content from the media center PC to another system, either by DVD or across a home network. However, Microsoft noted, consumers could indeed backup their digitally recorded shows, though the content could only be played back on the same media center PC. The reasoning was simple: If the company allowed consumers to make perfect digital copies of TV shows, HBO movies, pay-per-view events, and other copyrighted content, it might be held legally liable by the television networks and other content providers.

In early October 2002, however, the company reversed course, based on feedback from its customers, partners, and even the television industry, the latter of which has a hidden ace up its sleeve regarding copy-protected TV shows (more on that later). So now it's possible to backup, copy, and share content you record with XP MCE.

Paul is a very wise man, I had serveral chats with him back in the beta days of XP. If MS incorperated .net into items being used by a OS again they are trying to control the user. This will not be tolerated by the users nor the justice department.

Myself...Im about 1 more OS from stepping away from MS if they cont down this road, iam sure alot are.

Yes, Paul is pretty much the man always a good read. Seen him flamed a bit on some "beta sites" I guess he prefers to talk more in fact that speculation. Me I like both *wink* ( I'd use the wink here but it looks like someone falling asleep )

MS has definitely pushed the limit on privacy and all of the traditional business practices but they have control of the market and they have introduced one restriction after another. I guess hoping to desensitize us to the subtle changes. For most computer users, they could care less about this stuff. They just want to turn on the computer and they want it to work. I would not want to be forced to sign up for .net. I have not seen anything cool in it as of yet but I'm sure M$ has some plans coming down the pipe.

I'm not a big brother's out to get you type but the truth speaks for itself. M$ doesn't want to control the world but they do want to get all the money. After all, isn't that what enterprise is all about?

Rick :)

One thing you may all be forgetting --- getting a PASSPORT is not much of a privacy concern if you do like ALL of us have done and JUST GET ONE. You do not have to provide any more private information than a stupid hotmail email account - FREE. I have 2 or 3 passports - and no 'profile' information on any of them. There are way many more microsoft practices to be concerned with than passport.

LS

So here comes the new guy. He wants Windows. Someone tells him he has to have a passport. He may also want to learn a little about privacy on the internet just in case something bad happens. Oh, maybe I need that software rent thingy from M$. Yep, still need a passport. Ok. Emm, OS and software rental, and ISP, that will be $150.00 up front and $25.00 a month for the rest of your life. Huh?

Yo, Barney, how bout Linux, its free! No passport, No rental crap, and it FREE.

Did I mention its FREE :)

no rick, what your talking about and describing is a monopoly

Yeah...you are exactly right and on the one hand..I just wonder what kind of quality and stability we would get if another company were able to have a standing chance of getting some of the market. Until then, it's whatever M$ says is just the way it is. I hope like crazy that Linux becomes a viable choice for everybody..opening the doors for many others. I have read a review on Lindows and I hear it's not too bad at all.

Rick