If Microsoft forced .NET Passports?

ChrisPS

Actually Jack I have seen Lindows and it isnt a bad looking OS, only problem is there isnt enough of a push over here in Australia.

The big thing Microsoft get things like this past with are Marketting and I dont see enough of that with Linux OS', marketting is what makes the world go round.

I also love this thing Microsoft refer to Partners. I wonder if someone had the gaul to create some "partners" under a Linux foundation would they be more successfull?

Hashdump, gladly, its much much nicer looking than windows.

when i installed it all it asked for was a password.

it installed on my system in FIVE MINUTES FLAT

thats boot, install, reboot, login.

i had some problems with my network cards, i have two in this machine and on previous linux installs ive had trouble getting on the net until i remove the cheaper card and reboot, then i can usually install the second card after. on rebooting into windows the net is knocked out there too till i remove the card.

confusing the first time i had it when i dual booted with mandrake.

for now take a peek over at www.lindows.com hashdump, theres screenshots there too, ill post some of mine shortly. :)

i can see myself using lindows more and more, and windows only for games, its very nice looking and easy to manage system. makes the switch to linux easier too, but i prefer lindows user friendlyness to linux anyway, though i havent tried one of the more recent distros.

What i am interested in Jack is the ability to play games and compatibiliy with windows.

I havent totally looked at it but i know alot of software made by MS it for use only on an MS operating system, which puts me off.

If i could get an OS like Lindows but so user friendly that my grandmother can use it like MS Windows and I could get a game from a computer store and put it in like MS Windows along with Microsoft Office XP then I would buy it.

Although when it comes to the Office XP I guess that isnt so much of a deal, I mean when people actually go for a product like Lindows they dont want to use any MS product, soooo I guess it would come down to the ability to use games.

Although I am use to the ease of use when it comes to PnP etc. so it would take sometime for me to finnaly format and put some non MS os on my machine although I personally like the look of SUSE.

I am a little bruised when it comes to Linux I had it a few years ago the system froze so i restarted and the system wouldnt start again * that was an angry day :) )

I agree with you Chris...I want to try Lindows but I just dont 'have to nuts to do it. I am so used to windows and I'm afraid of compatibility issues. But as for appz go, if my memory serves me correctly, you subscribe for like $20 a month and get access to something like 19,000 appz that work on lindows/linux. I read that the office prog that they have it very good. But I go from computer to computer...it is really tough to take files from home and then go to work where all are M$ and then think of the nightmare of working from home. The progs have to work together and when will that happen? Not as long as M$ has a say.

Rick :)

some apps work in lindows yes, but not many, its basically Debian linux with stuff renamed and tweeked to make it easy for Windows users to switch over.

i have had a right pain getting my internet working, well, i just got it working, im posting this under Lindows in Netscape :)

all i had to do was type "modprobe natsemi" in command console, then i could set the network settings, however - i had to go insto windows to get my name server info, and host name etc.

problem is i have to enable the natsemi driver for the netgear card each time i start lindows, but that can be fixed easily i think.

ill just download some apps and ill post screenshots for you.

i will still use windows for games. as for office.. lindows has apps to open power point etc, also it comes with Staroffice which is an excellent office tool thats probably MS Offices main rival.

Only one problem to sort out now... SOUND, but im using onboard till i get my sound blaster back from a friend who wanted to see what it was like, after i put that in i expect sound will work.

brb with those screenies.

<--- Linux pro right here, you don't have to set all that network info up, just type dhcpcd eth0 and boom you should be all set if your ISP uses dhcp. I'm on Gentoo linux right now, and I can run pretty much any Windows program I want to. I got KaZaA Lite 2.0.0 working with Wine (Windows Emulation Program), and of course linux has programs for everything else. Yea stuff is a pain to get working sometimes in Linux and it isn't as newbie friendly installation wise, but once you get it working, say bye to Windows.

Try putting whatever commands you want to get your internet up in /etc/modules.autoload

To do that you have to log into root (if you aren't already), then change to /etc/ and type either 'nano modules.autoload' or 'vi modules.autoload' depending on what text editor you have. Add modprobe netsemi to that file and you should be all set. I don't know if this works for all versions of Linux, but it works for mine. I'll get some screenies up of my linux running.

Ok here are 2 screenshots of my desktop; the first one shows my desktop and the Program Menu and the second shows a bunch of stuff open. Anyone interested in Linux or started using Linux check out www.linuxnewbie.org and they'll help you with any Linux related problem. It's a great community.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Posting this via Linux too :).

Well if you're refering to my screenshot, the interface I'm using now is called Fluxbox, and the menu bar colors and menu colors can be anything you want. You can add some snazzy effects also, and it supports gradients (fades from one color to another) and you can change the fonts and stuff. KDE (looks like Windows), another interface supports transparency and looks a ton better than Windows, but takes just as long to start up. Everything in my screenshot is pretty much using custom things that I've edited. That's the thing I like with Linux you can do whatever you want to your system. If you want it to look one way you have the option to. Windows ties users down with a limited number of theme options even with the modded uxthemes.dll.

gamma, thats some kick a** tips regards the network, thanks man that helped me a LOT!

no more doing modprobe natsemi, and then release / renew each boot up!! i knew it could be placed in some file someplace but hadnt found which.

**update- no modules.autorun file in lindows, but think ive found how anyway, i opened modules.conf and it told me where to look, dont edit modules.conf though! i edited etc/modules and just added natsemi.o on the bottom, its doing the trick, thanks for the tip GaMMa, saved me a lot of headache :rolleyes:

just curious... can you get msn messenger working under wine? (properly)

im using everybuddy right now, but it would be cool to have msn working on linux :D

once sound is working ill be a happy man, the ac97 module is loaded, the onboard sound is ac97, but no sound :D

should be ok once i get the soundblaster back in the machine tho.

@Cripsy, just make a 2gb partition on your disc and install something like debian or lindows, they are both easy for installing programs on using synaptic, i hated hunting down libs and rpms on red hat and mandrake, it put me off a lot. dual boot if you just want to try it out.

@ ChrisPS, for games..

well theres a few im "getting" just now.

quake 3, simcity 3000, might and magic 3.

also in console (under debian or lindows) try:

apt-get update

once thats finished do

apt-get install synaptic

once thats done youhave synaptic, a GUI for apt. Now do

exec syanaptic

synaptic should open, you can search for doom, highlight it, click install then click on the button with the gears on, "proceed" and it will download doom and any thing else you added for download.

it only took about 2 minutes if that. then just alter dooms setup so it is fullscreen and the res is ok, i think you can find more in console.txt in one of the doom directories.

@Rick, the $99 subscription fee i think your thinking of is for "click n' run warehouse" on lindows, but why pay for that, its basically just apt-get with lindows own GUI and coming from Lindows servers. use apt get, and download synaptic like i said above... no need to pay. Lindows wants you to sign up to be able to download things like pacman and doom, they know people want those files, but i downloaded them so fast and easy, just by doing apt-get install pacman you get packman, who needs to pay $99 its daft.

there loads of games on linux, but ill be keeping my windows for my main games playing, i cant live without battlefield 1942 etc :)